Heard Bohl is cleaning house

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Gotpokes
Buckaroo

I can't confirm anything, but I'm here in Vegas at the tournament and heard that about six or more football players were given their walking papers. I'm not going to say the names, because I don't know if it's completely true, but two of them were at one time were starting offensive linemen and one is a running back.. Does anybody with a relative on the team know anything about this? Losing the linemen could be devastating.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Gotpokes wrote:I can't confirm anything, but I'm here in Vegas at the tournament and heard that about six or more football players were given their walking papers. I'm not going to say the names, because I don't know if it's completely true, but two of them were at one time were starting offensive linemen and one is a running back.. Does anybody with a relative on the team know anything about this? Losing the linemen could be devastating.
Never good to lose linemen but...

Which RBs? :eek:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I doubt Wick, being a senior and all. Hill, probably not. But I don't know anything for sure.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:I doubt Wick, being a senior and all. Hill, probably not. But I don't know anything for sure.
He didn't list him as a starter too...so probably just a scrub. Losing OL on this team is bad news though.

But seriously...let's save this for another day. Bad news today of all days? I appreciate the info, but let's keep it positive today. :cool:
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I'm geared up for the game today! But I definitely want to revisit this conversation later on. Interesting news indeed though. My best source for information is trolling players twitter accounts. I know I need to get a life, but what can I say? I'm a little jealous that I'm not in LV for this game though. Go Pokes!
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

My guess on RB is not Hill or Wick....
Either a scrub or DJ May? I heard they wanted may to switch to LB- maybe he's unhappy about it?
GO POKES!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

jbeiermann wrote:My guess on RB is not Hill or Wick....
Either a scrub or DJ May? I heard they wanted may to switch to LB- maybe he's unhappy about it?
May was already moved to DB, so not him.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I'm guessing Tapscott or one of the guys buried down the chart...if it's even true.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I've been asking around and there is something to this. Maybe nobody wants to say anything yet.. I think right now everything is being overshadowed by the remarkable job our basketball team did this week. I'm thinking Vorel would know something, but with him leaving next month and his tournament coverage I don't know if he has time to ask. it may not get reported until Spring ball starts. I can recall last spring the same thing happened with a couple offensive linemen leaving and a few guys booted off for various unknown reasons. I wouldn't be surprised though because there are some spots that need to be cleared for the numerous preferred walk ons coming in. Very little news regarding the football team right now.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Gotpokes wrote:I can't confirm anything, but I'm here in Vegas at the tournament and heard that about six or more football players were given their walking papers. I'm not going to say the names, because I don't know if it's completely true, but two of them were at one time were starting offensive linemen and one is a running back.. Does anybody with a relative on the team know anything about this? Losing the linemen could be devastating.

This is not terribly surprising. Everyone knew that the Wyoming program needed upgrading in its talent to compete at the highest level of the conference. If I were a betting man, and from watching who got reps after Wick and May went out with injury and Hill needed a breather last season, I would say that Tapscott will be fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Omar Stover was the odd person out in the RB rotation as he was the one who spelled Tapscott when Tapscott needed a breather. The unknown here is Nico Evans who redshirted last season, but he is a Bohl recruit so I would be surprised if he were not back.

I know we all hate to lose any players, but I think we would all admit that one of the areas that needed the most improvement after Bohl took over was the OL. The OL under Christensen was the one area that year after year underperformed. But who would be the two here that won't be back, and had been starters at one time? My WAG would be that it comes from the following list: Charlie Renfree, Kurtis Stirneman or Taylor Knestis, but none of them have been starters that I am aware of. The only other two would be: Austin Traphagan who would be a Senior but has battled injuries, but being a senior would surprise me a little and Jacob English who is a junior but the back-up center, and his departure would surprise me more than Stirneman's. Maybe having players depart sooner rather than later helps them to have time to find another school that they might be able to transfer to and it frees up scholarships that can be given for this coming year.

In conclusion, there were no two ways about it, the Cowboys needed to improve team speed and especially at some of the skill positions, most notably the DB positions. I wouldn't be surprised to see a player or two depart from this area. Bohl and his staff have brought in a number of recruits at the DB positions and had a player (Will Tutein) move to the LB position. These unfortunately are the growing pains of what it takes sometimes to improve a football program, but I have no doubt that Bohl and his staff will do everything that they can to find these players a good place to move to. The real problem was the errors that the original coaches made in bringing these guys in.

Now that Coach Shyatt has taken the men's bb program to a conference championship, I do feel that the football program is not far behind in bringing a conference championship to UW as well. I don't think that Bohl is a patient man when it comes to losing, and his first season was one where he watched and took notes as to what needed to be done to turn this program around, i.e. - what players were going to be able to help UW to the championship and which players were not going to be able to part of the future plans at UW, and what improvements needed to be made in the training programs at UW and what improvements were going to be needed to be made in infrastructure of the program like the new High Altitude training center to make Wyoming a conference champion and one of the top programs constantly in the Rocky Mountain Region and the Western U.S. for that matter. It can and it WILL be done, it is only a matter of time.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Nice post potato creek. I do agree that the former staff gave scholarships to guys that either do not fit in with the current staffs or are not even Division 1 FBS caliber players. This was evident by the play of our special teams. Some of the players on special teams were mostly defensive backups. On most FBS teams this is a chance for a backup to show what he's got and make an impact play. I never saw anyone (besides defensive starters) make big special teams plays. It was evident against New Mexico that we basically lack the athleticism and speed on special teams to be a bowl worthy team. I did however see the young Bohl recruits make plays at times. Which leads me to believe Bohl and Staff want to purge some of the players that are occupying scholarship spots and show no signs of improvement or simply no desire to contribute to the team. This is NCAA football and these guys are student athletes, but it is also a business with jobs and lots of money on the line.
if a scholarship player is not contributing and is not upholding his academic responsibilities, well then I guess it's time to move on and give the spot to someone that is hungry on the field and in the classroom. Just watching walk on players like local boy Seth Edeen out hussle and out play guys on scholarship. It makes me question some of players on scholarship. Why can't they play with desire like Seth? Scholarships are year to year contracts and Bohl was brought in to win. Like potato creek pete said about coach Shyatt and his team. And how they have taken that next step, the pressure is on the football team to perform. I wouldn't be suprised to see axe fall on numerous players who are in limbo.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Stover, Nevermind, Hardy, and Lark that I know of!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:Stover, Nevermind, Hardy, and Lark that I know of!
You must be talking about Nevermann, who has already transferred to North Dakota, and was a walk-on from Sweden. I was kind of thinking in my earlier post about Sam Hardy, but I thought no, the kid has worked hard to improve himself, and that he was still working on it, but I guess he didn't show the improvement that he needed to. Sam Hardy was a defensive tackle recruit from California who was moved to OG, and had lots of raw talent but I have read and heard needed to be motivated a lot, and if you can't get your head into the game every moment and you have mental lapses it is hard to play at a high level. Lark was a JC LB that never really realized his potential, a bit undersized but with good speed and never made the impact that he was supposed to. Under the past coaching staff, Omar Stover would have been an adequate back-up, but with the remarkable improvement in talent at the RB position, I guess he was unable to gain traction and move up the depth chart. I do wish the best to these young men and that they might find success wherever they end up.

Also to note, we have a really small Senior class this year, about a dozen or so, so we definitely have the room in the recruiting side to make up for the losses while at the same time having room for a few scholarships for the walk-ons. Some of the walk-ons look better than some of the recruits we have had in the past, especially that 6'-4" receiver from Colorado.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

So this morning at the local diner, I heard that offensive guard Jake Jones was leaving Wyoming. Wasn't this guy at one time our best offensive lineman? I remember him and Hardy going head to head in the fall and Hardy came out on top until his ankle injury. If Jones and Hardy are gone, we went from replacing one starter at tackle to replacing two, possibly three starters. Wtf is it with guys on our offensive line leaving? Doesn't anyone give a poop about playing Division 1 football anymore? I can't believe this..there are players who are lining up by the hundreds of thousands wanting a chance to play Division 1 football. When some of these guys get here they play their asses off to get on the field, then they leave. I'm blown away. I sure hope they change their mind, because Jones and Hardy were solid players with good size. :tickedoff:
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

mwc fan wrote:So this morning at the local diner, I heard that offensive guard Jake Jones was leaving Wyoming. Wasn't this guy at one time our best offensive lineman? I remember him and Hardy going head to head in the fall and Hardy came out on top until his ankle injury. If Jones and Hardy are gone, we went from replacing one starter at tackle to replacing two, possibly three starters. Wtf is it with guys on our offensive line leaving? Doesn't anyone give a poop about playing Division 1 football anymore? I can't believe this..there are players who are lining up by the hundreds of thousands wanting a chance to play Division 1 football. When some of these guys get here they play their asses off to get on the field, then they leave. I'm blown away. I sure hope they change their mind, because Jones and Hardy were solid players with good size. :tickedoff:
That would suck. This team is facing a rebuilding season as is. Gets even harder if the OL is losing starters/depth.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

mwc fan wrote:So this morning at the local diner, I heard that offensive guard Jake Jones was leaving Wyoming. Wasn't this guy at one time our best offensive lineman? I remember him and Hardy going head to head in the fall and Hardy came out on top until his ankle injury. If Jones and Hardy are gone, we went from replacing one starter at tackle to replacing two, possibly three starters. Wtf is it with guys on our offensive line leaving? Doesn't anyone give a poop about playing Division 1 football anymore? I can't believe this..there are players who are lining up by the hundreds of thousands wanting a chance to play Division 1 football. When some of these guys get here they play their asses off to get on the field, then they leave. I'm blown away. I sure hope they change their mind, because Jones and Hardy were solid players with good size. :tickedoff:
I have full faith in Coach Bohl and I am not concerned, that doesn't mean that I am happy to see players leave. Jones was not the best OL Wyoming had last season, but he had been the most consistent during prior seasons. Chase Roullier is probably the best OL that we have. The concern which I see is that we lose the two guys that cover one position, so what is going to happen? I would be very surprised if Coach Bohl and his staff already have plans in place to fill this position, it might be from someone already in the program to someone like a JC that will come in after the semester. I have no doubt that you will see improved OL play from the Wyoming program in the next few years, and it was really needed. Not a slight, just the reality. Heck Jacob English could mover over or maybe Richard Bettencourt is ready to step in. Not to belabor a point but these are the growing pains that a program needs to go through sometimes to take those steps forward. Coach Fuchs (OL coach) had a number of all conference performers and more than a few all-americans while at North Dakota State, I think he knows what level of performance it takes to be successful at the level that Coach Bohl demands, and if that isn't being reached, then changes have to be made.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Well, this is just great. I was hoping the OL could be the anchor of this team, but instead we have attrition. I may have to cool my jets on this next season.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Yeah and I really thought we were finally building depth on the offensive lines. Replacing one tackle would be extremely do able, but two right guards with starting experience is going to be tough. Hopefully the young guys can step up the way our Freshman tackle Cummings did. Playing left tackle is a tough spot and Cummings did quite well. I believe in Bohl and his decisions, but still it's a concern.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Too bad about hardy, I liked him. The others were marginal contributors at best.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

get people that wanna play, that's my take