Early W-L prediction for 2015

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

djm19 wrote:Jeez. Sounds like some of you are writing off the season already. Spring ball is still have five days away.

Coffman will be better than our qb situation last year. We have absolute studs at rb, all conf d lineman, solid wrs.

Let's not be biased, but a little optimism is ok.
Well...not writing it off, but doing my own personal reality check...

1. How many players did we lose between fall of 2014 and spring of 2015 (some still TBA) - and not talking about graduating seniors here.

2. How many players will we lose between now and fall of 2015, and how many starters do we return? How many impact players do we return?

This is another full rebuild year...last year was a bandaid year with the late start the coaches had in recruiting, etc.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

CowboyNV wrote:I think this question will be better answered after spring ball is over. Right now there are just too many questions and very few answers. Spring ball will bring a bit more clarity as to where we are, and where we need to go by the time fall rolls around.
Good answer. Too many unknowns. I will say if we can sure up the D, I can see the Pokes competing for a bowl bid.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
djm19 wrote:Jeez. Sounds like some of you are writing off the season already. Spring ball is still have five days away.

Coffman will be better than our qb situation last year. We have absolute studs at rb, all conf d lineman, solid wrs.

1. How many players did we lose between fall of 2014 and spring of 2015 (some still TBA) - and not talking about graduating seniors here.

2. How many players will we lose between now and fall of 2015, and how many starters do we return? How many impact players do we return?

This is another full rebuild year...last year was a bandaid year with the late start the coaches had in recruiting, etc.
Last year the Pokes played two top 10 teams...none this year. The Pokes were also two plays from being bowl eligible......SJSU and UNM. It might be a rebuilding year, but a year in which the Pokes can make a bowl.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Six wins is the goal. I think we'll get six. COWBYS TOUGH, BABY!!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I'm actually glad we have the fewest returning starters. Most of those starters were underachieving players. I want to see players that are actually excited to be on the field and willing to do anything it takes to make a play. The new Cowboy mold is being cast by Coach Bohl. In years past we had the highest amount of returning players who under achieved completely. This season I see at least six wins minimum. Coffman is a huge upgrade over Kirky. He can make the over the top throws that Kirk couldn't. If you look at the silly turnovers that Kirk committed and a pitiful passing game against San Jose, where he had like 112 yards passing on like 28 attempts. Coffman will deliver and it will open the running game up even more. I say 6 wins , but wouldn't be suprised if it was 7.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I'm thinking 6-6, but that's an improvement from 4-8 last year!!! just as long as we're in games and competitive and most of all CAN TACKLE THIS YEAR!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

stymeman wrote:I'm thinking 6-6, but that's an improvement from 4-8 last year!!! just as long as we're in games and competitive and most of all CAN TACKLE THIS YEAR!!
If we aren't competitive in at least 9-10 games, things are in pretty bad shape. I think the MWC might be worse next season than we were this past season.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote:I'm thinking 6-6, but that's an improvement from 4-8 last year!!! just as long as we're in games and competitive and most of all CAN TACKLE THIS YEAR!!
Exactly, win the games we're supposed to and tackle. Do those two things and we are in business.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Fair enough, just saying, let's not throw in the towel and get discouraged.

Some of these recruits may be immediate difference makers. Uso and Eddie are working their tails off and will be even better. Our DB situation scares me the most.

We recruited the heck out of LB and OL. Some of them may come in surprise some people.

The guys we lost aren't going to break this team for being gone. Rufran was a great leader in locker room, but his Senior year was MIA because of our offense and QB situation. Our LBs are all replaceable. Burns was ok.

We finished 4-8 on year one. Our schedule is more favorable this year.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

lol it's way too early to throw in the towel. And come on now, this is WyoNation....by June, someone will be predicting a 10+ win season. :D ;)

It's never easy to replace a ton of starters, and Bohl's rebuilding project is just as much about raising the talent level of the team as anything else. He might have done a little but of that already, but even then those guys are Fr./RS Fr./So. For those reasons alone, expectations should be fair. People can't get pissed if the team doesn't go 8-4.

Hell, to be honest with you, I wouldn't even rule out less than 4 wins. Last year, Wyoming's only convincing win was Fresno. Every other win was a narrow victory. Wyoming could have gone bowling in 2014. They could have also gone 2-10 if the ball rolled differently.

I agree, the MW isn't strong, but that doesn't mean Wyoming can't finish towards the bottom of that barrel for the 4th consecutive season. I think New Mexico, @App State, and @Air Force are pivotal games. Can't drop 2-3 of those games and expect to go bowling. I think there are very few obvious losses, but very few obvious wins too. Making September and early October count will make or break the season.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote: The guys we lost aren't going to break this team for being gone. Rufran was a great leader in locker room, but his Senior year was MIA because of our offense and QB situation. Our LBs are all replaceable. Burns was ok.
Sonny Puletasi was a good player. The DL was held together with duct tape after he got hurt, and that duct tape was named Patrick Mertens. That is definitely a position of concern. That unit was obliterated to close the season.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

I'll give it a shot.

9-5 North Dakota - Win
9-12 Eastern Michigan Loss
@ Washington State Loss
@ Appalachian State Win
@ Air Force Loss
Colorado State Win
@ Utah State Loss
@ Boise State Loss
New Mexico Win
@ San Diego State Loss
Nevada Win
UNLV Win

6-6 year...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Last year the Pokes played two top 10 teams...none this year. The Pokes were also two plays from being bowl eligible......SJSU and UNM. It might be a rebuilding year, but a year in which the Pokes can make a bowl.
Of course, there was also the gift of the Florida Atlantic win. And squeaking a 5 point victory over FCS Montana, and a 4 point victory over Howdy Doody. Only against Fresno, did we have a convincing win - and I still don't know how that happened, oh wait - it was the coming out party for Brian Hill & Tyran Finley.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Pokes return the fewest amount of starters in the MW. The hope is bowl eligibility, but brace for a 4-8/5-7 type season. I think fans are underestimating just how much the defense might struggle. Bohl's offense goes down the toilet if he's giving up a lot of points. Gun to my head, I'd say 4-8 again, just like 2014. Rome wasn't built in a day. Hell, Bohl's NDSU powerhouse wasn't either.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's good that Wyo returns the fewest starters?

Get rid of the soft DC players. Bring in more Bohl players. At least players who have spent equal time or more time with Bohl than DC.
I'd have a hard time arguing that. Christensen brought in some decent players - and some stars - but if you weren't a wide reciever, running back, or quarter back, the chances are he didn't even bother evaluating you.

Bohl had a brutal first year. He got himself a nice refresher on FBS football. I look forward to him getting his recruits in place as soon as possible.

I heard somewhere that his mentality regarding players is very much similar to Roach/Tiller. Does anyone remember reading that too?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoBrandX wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Pokes return the fewest amount of starters in the MW. The hope is bowl eligibility, but brace for a 4-8/5-7 type season. I think fans are underestimating just how much the defense might struggle. Bohl's offense goes down the toilet if he's giving up a lot of points. Gun to my head, I'd say 4-8 again, just like 2014. Rome wasn't built in a day. Hell, Bohl's NDSU powerhouse wasn't either.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's good that Wyo returns the fewest starters?

Get rid of the soft DC players. Bring in more Bohl players. At least players who have spent equal time or more time with Bohl than DC.
I'd have a hard time arguing that. Christensen brought in some decent players - and some stars - but if you weren't a wide reciever, running back, or quarter back, the chances are he didn't even bother evaluating you.

Bohl had a brutal first year. He got himself a nice refresher on FBS football. I look forward to him getting his recruits in place as soon as possible.

I heard somewhere that his mentality regarding players is very much similar to Roach/Tiller. Does anyone remember reading that too?
What mentality are you talking about? Help inform us younger folk please.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Speaking of this season, I kind of want to go to Pullman but given Hawaii torches our secondary, Im terrified to think about what Leach and his offense would do to it.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I expect our special teams to be much better than last year - Bohl has said repeatedly that this will be a focal point. This is only one piece of the puzzle, but it sure will help.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

McPeachy wrote:

Yep, this is a long term rebuild. I think there is potential for this to be the worst defense that Bohl has ever fielded as a head coach. We are a good 2-3 years away IMO.

For this year, the schedule is favorable and I do think we will see an upgrade in QB play. If the OL can hold together and avoid injuries (no depth there) we could be much improved on offense with our proven RB's (Wick and Hill). That can help to give the defense a break and control the ball.

Like most, I see a 4-8 or 5-7 type season but I also expect a little more fight and competitive games. I was hoping to see that in Bohl's first year, but I think we will see that this year. Last year we were basically slapped around in 5 games. I would like to see that happen less than 3 times this year. I expect some close losses this year, but that's part of the process. Last year we were 3-2 in "toss up" games that came down to the last possession. That's a credit to the coaching staff, but also probably not sustainable for a team that was 1-6 with 5 blowouts int he other 7 games. I think we will have more close contests this year, but don't see much improvement in the record.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LasCrucesPoke wrote:Speaking of this season, I kind of want to go to Pullman but given Hawaii torches our secondary, Im terrified to think about what Leach and his offense would do to it.
I expect they will score almost every time they have the ball. The question will be how well our offense can move the ball and control clock to limit their possessions.

I really think we are in for a rough season on defense.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I think our defense will be some better than last year. More speed, better coaching, and more physical play in the secondary. At least the same or slightly better on the DL. LB is still up for debate. I expect the defense will get better as the season progresses if we don't have a rash of injuries. Depth is the main concern.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.