Early W-L prediction for 2015

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
jbeiermann wrote:What's realistic with no bias!?
4-8 or 5-7, Extremely worried about LB depth and from the CB videos if the HC is worried about LB depth we should all be more worried about it. It's not going to be an easy year but somewhat reverse of last year.

More proficient QB receiving corp not as athletic but still capable, RB is by far our best position. I think we will stop plays better unless an LB gets hurt and then we are completely screwed when it happens. The QB will be able to hit targets it's going to be interesting to see who steps up and makes themselves known as the offense threat.
What are you talking about?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
4-8 or 5-7, Extremely worried about LB depth and from the CB videos if the HC is worried about LB depth we should all be more worried about it. It's not going to be an easy year but somewhat reverse of last year.

More proficient QB receiving corp not as athletic but still capable, RB is by far our best position. I think we will stop plays better unless an LB gets hurt and then we are completely screwed when it happens. The QB will be able to hit targets it's going to be interesting to see who steps up and makes themselves known as the offense threat.
Why don't you name all these receivers that are so athletic and what college games you have seen them play?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

Why don't you name all these receivers that are so athletic and what college games you have seen them play?
You are arguing that the receiving corps will be less athletic this year? It can't get worse than last year. Who did we lose that was so athletic? Rufran got run down over 70 yds vs FAU with a 15 yard head start and he was considered to be the most athletic we had. We have two receivers (two of our highest rated recruits of the last decade) coming in that will probably contribute as true freshmen. There's Joe Parker, too, who's already here that can run sub 11 in the 100m. Athleticism is definitely up overall among the receiving corps.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think the receiving corp will be fine now that they will have a proven QB to toss them the ball. Last year we had the same guys, but not the same QB and the production went down significantly.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

JimmyDimes wrote:I think the receiving corp will be fine now that they will have a proven QB to toss them the ball. Last year we had the same guys, but not the same QB and the production went down significantly.
We were missing Herron, an NFL player with true speed. We'll get some speed back with the incoming freshmen.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Gentry is a decent WR. I expect both C.J. Johnson and Justice Murphy to play, and for Johnson to be a starter by the end of the season. I don't see any obvious WR1 potential out of the other WRs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:Gentry is a decent WR. I expect both C.J. Johnson and Justice Murphy to play, and for Johnson to be a starter by the end of the season. I don't see any obvious WR1 potential out of the other WRs.
Now we're talking. Murphy and Johnson will eventually be studs for Wyoming. I think Mulhardt showed tiny flashes last year. If he's improved at all he'll be an asset.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

While on the subject of wide receivers, I don't see any freshmen redshirting. At least 2 will contribute big time on offense (Murphy and Johnson, maybe doddles too) and then a good chunk of guys helping out on special teams. Our defense is so thin I don't think it would be smart to tire out defensive backs on special teams, we need starters fresh on defense because there's nobody behind them. There's also so many collisions on special teams, we can't put our secondary at risk of injury
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

You are arguing that the receiving corps will be less athletic this year? It can't get worse than last year. Who did we lose that was so athletic? Rufran got run down over 70 yds vs FAU with a 15 yard head start and he was considered to be the most athletic we had. We have two receivers (two of our highest rated recruits of the last decade) coming in that will probably contribute as true freshmen. There's Joe Parker, too, who's already here that can run sub 11 in the 100m. Athleticism is definitely up overall among the receiving corps.
You certainly can't say they are more athletic as they have never played so yes right now they are less athletic until they prove otherwise but I suppose if you are after some innocent until proven guilty comparison then you can call them equally athletic.

It also seems to me everyone fails to include Claiborne and why? You might not include him but he made some of the more athletic catches over the last 3 years. He made catches that required extra effort. Rufran might not have had top end elite speed but to say he wasn't athletic just because he wasn't fast is a far stretch.

At this point you have your opinion and you're entitled to it and I don't fault you on it but until they prove themselves on the field they are just recruits that aren't as athletic.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

You certainly can't say they are more athletic as they have never played so yes right now they are less athletic until they prove otherwise but I suppose if you are after some innocent until proven guilty comparison then you can call them equally athletic.

It also seems to me everyone fails to include Claiborne and why? You might not include him but he made some of the more athletic catches over the last 3 years. He made catches that required extra effort. Rufran might not have had top end elite speed but to say he wasn't athletic just because he wasn't fast is a far stretch.

At this point you have your opinion and you're entitled to it and I don't fault you on it but until they prove themselves on the field they are just recruits that aren't as athletic.
Fair enough. We'll just have to see how it goes :geek:
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

The Basketball team took all my Kool-Aid that would normally be reserved for Football so my stock has run out. Football team is going to have to prove it on the field so my supply can be refilled.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for a great season but when Bohl started I told myself if it took Shyatt to turn a program around at a moderate level and 4 years to win a MWC Championship Bohl deserves at least 6 years because it's a hell of a lot harder to dominate on the gridiron than the hardwood.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I'm really excited to see the TE group! I heard Hollister added about 20lbs of muscle, and he was bruising people up last year.
I also curious to see the depth at WR under Gentry and Maulhardt. Those two should step up significantly this year.

And we already know who we have at RB. And I can't complain about either of them. They got some skills!
Are we there yet? No. But we are looking pretty good.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

On that positive note, I'm curious to see how Bohl splits reps between Hill and Wick. Does he go Carolina Panthers Double Trouble and split the carries right down the middle, 15-ish for each RB? Or does one get 5-10 more than the other? If so, who gets the edge? Both were great last season. In terms of talent, I've always felt Wick is above average for a RB talent. I think the sky is the limit for Hill.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:On that positive note, I'm curious to see how Bohl splits reps between Hill and Wick. Does he go Carolina Panthers Double Trouble and split the carries right down the middle, 15-ish for each RB? Or does one get 5-10 more than the other? If so, who gets the edge? Both were great last season. In terms of talent, I've always felt Wick is above average for a RB talent. I think the sky is the limit for Hill.
Wick has the experience and more overall power, while Hill does have a high ceiling, he's still getting there and just simply lacks the 4 years experience that Wick has.

I'm thinking a pretty even split. But if Bohl does go one more than the other, probably Wick because Bohl does seem to have a thing for experience.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:On that positive note, I'm curious to see how Bohl splits reps between Hill and Wick. Does he go Carolina Panthers Double Trouble and split the carries right down the middle, 15-ish for each RB? Or does one get 5-10 more than the other? If so, who gets the edge? Both were great last season. In terms of talent, I've always felt Wick is above average for a RB talent. I think the sky is the limit for Hill.

Tough call, but Probably Wick would be the starter imo. He's a Senior, got the big game experience and the body of work to back it up. The guy will probably be the pokes all time career rusher by week ten. Hill is a great back, but is still really raw and young. Its a great problem to have. And I think Bohl will ride the hot hand in game situations. Defenses will have their hands full scouting both backs. Although they both run very similar, Wick has a great natural body lean, which makes him difficult to take down. Hill is getting better with lowering his upright running style he used to have. Both are good receivers but I think Hill is better after the catch. They both are good blockers, but Wick is just so strong he can take on blitzes without having to cut block. My question would be who would be back #3 in the rotation? I like the Nico Evans kid. Heard some good stuff about him. Definitely a change of pace back compared to Hill and Wicks power running. Also curious to see the the Overstreet kid. I dont know if he will redshirt, but unless we have injuries I would expect it. Save him for next season.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:I'm thinking a pretty even split. But if Bohl does go one more than the other, probably Wick because Bohl does seem to have a thing for experience.
I actually disagree here. I think Hill will get the bulk of the carries. While Wick may have the experience in terms of being a senior, they both have the same amount of experience in Vigen's offense. Also, Hill was recruited by Bohl and his staff while Wick was not.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: I actually disagree here. I think Hill will get the bulk of the carries. While Wick may have the experience in terms of being a senior, they both have the same amount of experience in Vigen's offense. Also, Hill was recruited by Bohl and his staff while Wick was not.
Good point. Coaches tend to stick with "their" guys in a new regime.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

To me it seemed like last year wick was more able to make something out of nothing, get hit in the backfield but not lose yards. Seemed like hill got stuffed at the line more often than not. Freshman to sophomore season is typically a big jump, so with that I put hill above wick due yo his speed. But wick is a proven contributor, I'm excited for him too. I hope we see both on the field together at times
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

I think pass protection will determine who gets the slight advantage in touches, but they could both get at least 175 carries.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

cali2wyo wrote:To me it seemed like last year wick was more able to make something out of nothing, get hit in the backfield but not lose yards. Seemed like hill got stuffed at the line more often than not. Freshman to sophomore season is typically a big jump, so with that I put hill above wick due yo his speed. But wick is a proven contributor, I'm excited for him too. I hope we see both on the field together at times
Yep. While Hill is a very good back, Wick can push the pile forward almost all by himself.