Wyoming Spring Practice 2015

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Rumor is that Sewell Quit.
Not surprised. He came out of HS with a lot of hype and unfortunately he has never been able to put it all together. It would have been a good sized reach to say that he would have had an impact this coming year, just have to wish him the best.

Wyoming was a soft team and there are a number of guys that are not prepared or able to play Bohl's type of game that were in the program when he took over. As Coach Bohl says, he is building the program so it will stay at a high level for a long time, and that doesn't happen over night.

If I remember correctly, he wasn't so much soft as he was ill and injured. Didn't he lose a bunch of weight and have a hard time putting it on?

Not that you are wrong about attrition from DC to Bohl, but I don't think this is that as much as it's just a kid not panning out.
I wasn't talking about Sewell being "soft", I was speaking of the team as a whole. Remember when Bohl came in he said the team was "fat", and many of the guys have had to lose body fat, and build muscle. If any area on the team was "soft" it probably was the OL imo. I have no doubt that Sewell just didn't pan out, you kind of mixed my two points together.
Ah, well my bad. Seemed like your second point was related to your first one, since you were talking about players leaving, being soft, etc.
I never said any specific players were "soft", and in particular I said the team was soft.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Scrimmage highlights/comments

theman12
Buckaroo

I'm excited for this season. The o line scares me to death but with Wick and Hill I'm sure we'll be fine.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I never said any specific players were "soft", and in particular I said the team was soft.[/quote]

I don't think soft is a good description. Maybe a little light, but not soft.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

theman12 wrote:I'm excited for this season. The o line scares me to death but with Wick and Hill I'm sure we'll be fine.
At least on the O line didn't give up sacks on Coffman. They gave up four to the other QBs, but I'm sure it was a mix of one's, twos and threes on the line. But yeah the O line has always been an issue for years.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

mwc fan wrote:
theman12 wrote:I'm excited for this season. The o line scares me to death but with Wick and Hill I'm sure we'll be fine.
At least on the O line didn't give up sacks on Coffman. They gave up four to the other QBs, but I'm sure it was a mix of one's, twos and threes on the line. But yeah the O line has always been an issue for years.
That said, once the injuries stopped piling up on them last season, the o-line improved quite a bit.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: That said, once the injuries stopped piling up on them last season, the o-line improved quite a bit.
Eh...maybe some in run-blocking. They ranked 2nd from dead last nationally in sacks allowed. Depth is lacking...can't afford too many injuries at that position. Or most positions, really.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote: That said, once the injuries stopped piling up on them last season, the o-line improved quite a bit.
Eh...maybe some in run-blocking. They ranked 2nd from dead last nationally in sacks allowed. Depth is lacking...can't afford too many injuries at that position. Or most positions, really.
A lot of those sacks came before they left 7 in the box and can be blamed on a number of things not just the OL.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
A lot of those sacks came before they left 7 in the box and can be blamed on a number of things not just the OL.
A lot of those sacks from last year were the Qbs fault. When teams would bring seven Kolby would never throw the quick slant. In the NM game on the final play the defense blitzed and the slant was wide open. He just wasn't comfortable throwing quick timing plays.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

mwc fan wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
A lot of those sacks from last year were the Qbs fault. When teams would bring seven Kolby would never throw the quick slant. In the NM game on the final play the defense blitzed and the slant was wide open. He just wasn't comfortable throwing quick timing plays.
I agree with this. I don't think our OL was as bad as the stats showed.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Due to lackluster qb play, our o line looked bad at times, as you guys have pointed out. I guess the next step would be to look at run plays to determine how productive our o line was. It seemed to me that we had very few runs stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Partially, that's due to having stud running backs, but I think the big guys deserve some credit for that as well.

Is there a stat that says what percentage of run plays went for zero or negative yards, excluding sacks?
mwc fan
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Due to lackluster qb play, our o line looked bad at times, as you guys have pointed out. I guess the next step would be to look at run plays to determine how productive our o line was. It seemed to me that we had very few runs stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Partially, that's due to having stud running backs, but I think the big guys deserve some credit for that as well.

Is there a stat that says what percentage of run plays went for zero or negative yards, excluding sacks?

There were a few key 4th down run plays that were snuffed in the backfield from bad Oline blocking. Overtime against SJSU the right tackle got beat off the ball on a 4th and 2. Cost the game that time. Also against Hawaii the same thing happened on a 4th down run. Game over again. That Tackle is gone, so hopefully this group can understand the the snap count is an advantage for the O line.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I was always a huge fan of Reese and i'm glad he is back on the team getting a chance to finish something he loves, also love the fact he is willing to play any position to maintain this chance.