Former Beav QB transferring.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kyle Kempt was recruited by Mike Riley and was a class of 2013 signee.

Coach Riley was a pro-style coach, and Andersen is a spread option guy. So Kempt just doesn't really fit the system at Oregon State anymore.

Kempt had offers from UConn, Bowling Green, Indiana, Ole Miss, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Toledo.
Was a 3 star, pocket passer QB.

Could fit Bohls system very well I think. Listed at 6'4, 207 pounds.

Was a RS-freshman this last season. Idk if he will have 2 or 3 years to play after this year.
His family has ties to Montana, and the Mid-West.
I really think a QB like this needs to be on Bohls radar.

Coffman only has 1 season here, and none of the other QBs were better than Kirk was (at least last year, who knows if they are developing).

Kempt could be a legit 2 or 3 year guy for the Pokes, and could be that QB that Bohl needs to get some sustained success.

Thoughts?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I'm not an expert on transfer rules, but I think he'll lose a year of eligibility when he sits a year because he already used his redshirt, just like what happened to Jason Thompson now at Utah.

On the surface, I think it would've been great to have a pro style transfer come in this year with 2+ years of eligibility. But I think the qbs in our program will be developed enough by next season that a transfer won't be a huge contributor.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Any relation to Cody Kempt? Transferred from Oregon to Montana State... was not a very good QB at all IMO
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

I was gonna ask, I bet he's Cody Kempt's brother.
ImageImageImageImage
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Yes I think they are brothers.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Having already redshirted, he would sit out a year and have 2 years left if he transfers to another D1 program.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:I'm not an expert on transfer rules, but I think he'll lose a year of eligibility when he sits a year because he already used his redshirt, just like what happened to Jason Thompson now at Utah.

On the surface, I think it would've been great to have a pro style transfer come in this year with 2+ years of eligibility. But I think the qbs in our program will be developed enough by next season that a transfer won't be a huge contributor.
I guess it depends if he was on scholly last season.

I know Luke Del Rio was a "walk on" at Bama, was likely to be in competition for the starting job then transferred to Oregon State and played a little bit last season as a RS-Freshman.

Del Rio was able to play immediately because he wasn't under scholarship at Bama.

But even with sitting out, I wonder if he would only have 2 seasons left.
Fall of 13 RS
2014, RS-Freshman
2015 TRANSFER SIT OUT
2016 RS-Junior? Or sophomore?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:Having already redshirted, he would sit out a year and have 2 years left if he transfers to another D1 program.
Gotcha.
Think it would be worth bringing on board?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Gotcha.
Frankly, no. I'm in the camp that is hoping Coffman loses the battle to a freshman who comes outta nowhere. Transfer QBs are for loser football programs. Hand me down University.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

In Del Rio's scenario, I believe he had to appeal to the NCAA and since he redshirted his first year and then transferred they allowed him to be eligible immediately.

As for Kempt, might as well look at him. He could sit out the year, learn under Coffman and then look to be a two year starter. When it comes to QB, I'll take talented transfers any day of the week.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Frankly, no. I'm in the camp that is hoping Coffman loses the battle to a freshman who comes outta nowhere. Transfer QBs are for loser football programs. Hand me down University.
Yeah, it never worked out for Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
Because we are such a proven winner program :lol:

ACS had a good career after he transferred. Not great by any means but won a lot of SEC games.

Flacco transferred from Pitt after he lost the starting job to Tyler Thigpen.

Zach Mettenberger transferred from Georgia to LSU.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Yeah, it never worked out for Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton...
Okay, now name me the 100s of transfers that turned out to be bums.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote: Yeah, it never worked out for Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton...
Okay, now name me the 100s of transfers that turned out to be bums.
Ya gotta look at these case by case.

There may be tons of questions to ask but the most important one is normally going to come down to "Why did they transfer?"

Kempt is transferring from Oregon State because he is a pro style-pocket passer QB on a spread option team that requires the QB to run. Beavers old system wanted Peyton Manning, now the new style wants Cam Newton.

Kempt just isn't a system fit at OSU anymore and has 2-3 years of playing time left in his college career depending on where he goes, and doesn't want to sit behind 3 people who always going to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think Wyo should jump on him ASAP.
Or Kempt could go to a JuCo for a year and probably perform pretty well to land a spot at a G5 spot for 2 seasons.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Guess it would depend on how the coaches feel about the QB's we currently have. We already have 5 on scholarship so I don't see them bringing another one in. He could be a good qb but I have a feeling the coaches are pretty happy with what we currently have. Cam this year then one of the freshman (then Soph) will step up and take it.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:Guess it would depend on how the coaches feel about the QB's we currently have. We already have 5 on scholarship so I don't see them bringing another one in. He could be a good qb but I have a feeling the coaches are pretty happy with what we currently have. Cam this year then one of the freshman (then Soph) will step up and take it.
Agree, that video interview with Bohl on the other thread, Bohl seemed almost excited when he was talking about Cam and the experience he was bringing to the position this year. Unless he flops in practice, I'm sure he's the guy this year, so the question is how well do the other four progress behind him, and would it be enough that Bohl would delegate the reigns to one of them after this season, or will he be looking for another quick fix type player?

We shall see. I think we've got some serious talent at the QB position, and that these guys will progress significantly.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Where is this talent we have at QB?
The same guys that couldn't beat out Kirk last season?

So we are sitting at Coffman for 15, then as it is we are sitting at one of the less than stellar guys for 16, 17, and 18.
Or, Kempt for 16 and 17.

I would rather take the higher level QB for 2 seasons than a bunch of no names for 3 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I want whatever gives us the best chance at winning this year. I want the same next year. I don't really care what year they are.

I'm in the minority, but I think NCAA needs to adjust transfer rules. If your coach is fired, I think you should be able to transfer without sitting and of no consequence to the team you just left. If you are leaving, you should be required to commit to leaving prior to the signing period so that the new coach can fill your scholly.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Where is this talent we have at QB?
The same guys that couldn't beat out Kirk last season?

So we are sitting at Coffman for 15, then as it is we are sitting at one of the less than stellar guys for 16, 17, and 18.
Or, Kempt for 16 and 17.

I would rather take the higher level QB for 2 seasons than a bunch of no names for 3 seasons.
You know what beav, the more I think about it the more I agree with you.
1. Sure we have guys developing in the program to compete next year and step in. But they were so poop last year, does last year's development put them above this guy currently? I doubt it. Would this transfer develop this year under our staff more than our current group? Possibly.
2. People are asking for longer term contributors, saying a 2 year starter isn't enough to build consistent winning. But this will be our 2nd straight 1 year starter. Besides, a qb being able to start for 2 years is a good amount of time. Not every stud qb or successful team has the same guy under center for 3-4 years.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Bold prediction: Josh Allen will be the no. 2 coming out of the spring and will be pushing Coffman by the fall and will end up redshirting and will be the starter for the next three years.