Former Beav QB transferring.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:I think it would be extremely rare to see a true freshman starting in this offense esspecially if they only made it to campus for fall camp.

If the coaches thought it would help I'm sure they would pursue this kid, if they are happy where they are at with QB then they probably won't. I'm cool with either. I just get the feeling they like what they have at the position.
What makes you think they are happy with what they have?

Isn't every coach ever trying to find an upgrade in talent at the QB position?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Even if we had a world beater qb with all the talent in the world he still probably would not have beaten out Kirk last year.
And there goes your argument down the drain....

I think anyone here would take true freshman ACS or Brett Smith over super senior Kirk any day
+1

SEVERAL freshman QBs start every season.

Yes a lot of them are in spreads or are RS-freshman but it is not too hard to find freshman QBs playing.
Yes, yes we are talking about true freshmen, of course. The only reason Brett Smith and ACS started was because there wasn't anyone even as good as Kirk. The point is it's very, very rare and it's got to be a perfect storm for a true freshman to play as a true freshman.

And the only reason ACS and Brett got to play was because they could run and improvise. A running/improvising qb is not supposed to happen in Bohl's offense.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I believe we had a total of 5 QBs on the roster last year. One was a senior with some D1 experience, one was a transfer (Young) with no D1 experience who came in at the first of the year and was here for spring football camp, the remaining 3 came in during the summer when they could not be evaluated during spring football camp. On top of that, our entire coaching staff didn't get here until after the first of the year (some right before spring football). So now you are saying "if they were good enough to play as true freshmen, they wouldn't have red-shirted'. That may be the dumbest statement I have seen on this board.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Even if we had a world beater qb with all the talent in the world he still probably would not have beaten out Kirk last year.

I think anyone here would take true freshman ACS or Brett Smith over super senior Kirk any day
+1

Yes a lot of them are in spreads or are RS-freshman but it is not too hard to find freshman QBs playing.
Yes, yes we are talking about true freshmen, of course. The only reason Brett Smith and ACS started was because there wasn't anyone even as good as Kirk. The point is it's very, very rare and it's got to be a perfect storm for a true freshman to play as a true freshman.

And the only reason ACS and Brett got to play was because they could run and improvise. A running/improvising qb is not supposed to happen in Bohl's offense.
Really? They made freshman mistakes at times, but even as freshmen they had the football smarts to be able to roll out of the pocket and look up to see an open receiver in the end zone and decide to throw to him instead of a lob across the field. Of course Kirk had bright spots, but I think ACS (bowl game) and Brett Smith (season opener night game, game winning drive) had brighter spots than kirk
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:I believe we had a total of 5 QBs on the roster last year. One was a senior with some D1 experience, one was a transfer (Young) with no D1 experience who came in at the first of the year and was here for spring football camp, the remaining 3 came in during the summer when they could not be evaluated during spring football camp. On top of that, our entire coaching staff didn't get here until after the first of the year (some right before spring football). So now you are saying "if they were good enough to play as true freshmen, they wouldn't have red-shirted'. That may be the dumbest statement I have seen on this board.
Yep, and coaches don't necessarily pick the right QB. Joe Montana started one year at Notre Dame. Cam Newton was a backup to Tim freaking Tebow at Florida. Just because Kirk started over the young guys doesn't mean he is better than them.

Arguably Boise State's worst QB in the last 15 years, Taylor Tharp, started one season over true freshman Kellen Moore, who redshirted. So Tharp > Moore? I don't think so.

Again, I'm one that is hoping one of these massive young freshman (6'4"+) beats out Coffman. They fit more with what Bohl's had success with in the past.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:

+1

Really? They made freshman mistakes at times, but even as freshmen they had the football smarts to be able to roll out of the pocket and look up to see an open receiver in the end zone and decide to throw to him instead of a lob across the field. Of course Kirk had bright spots, but I think ACS (bowl game) and Brett Smith (season opener night game, game winning drive) had brighter spots than kirk
Ok. The point remains. Let's not count out the QBs who were true freshmen last year just because they couldn't beat out a 5th year senior with one fall camp under their belts.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:

+1

Ok. The point remains. Let's not count out the QBs who were true freshmen last year just because they couldn't beat out a 5th year senior with one fall camp under their belts.
Agreed. But the other point remains, we can't assume they'll be program saviors in the future while ignoring their lack of production to simply being "inexperienced", they might unfortunately just suck. Lets hope the staff can get the best out of them and prove the doubters (including myself) wrong.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote: I wouldn't be against a move like that, but I could see some problems if it happened. The reason the rule was put in place in the first place was to prevent teams and coaches from actively recruiting (or paying) players from another team to come over. Hard to talk a kid to coming to your school while also telling him "oh yeah, you'll have to sit out a year first".

Under your stipulation, as soon as a coach is fired or takes another job, suddenly it becomes a fire sale on all of the good players at that school.

On one hand, I see the injustice; on the other, it's a very slippery slope...
I definitely get the down side. Maybe there is a happy medium. You have to sit but don't lose eligibility?

I don't know; the kids are getting screwed on this, though. Hell, a scholly is only a one year commitment. A coach can pull a scholly at any time. However, the kid has to sign a LOI for 4-5 years and stay 4-5 years (assuming no pro) or pay a penalty (i.e. sit a year and lose eligibility). A coach can leave at any time and no penalty.

It is straight up B.S. and designed to protect the bottom dollar of the University with no regard for the athlete.
I totally agree. Kids get hosed a lot in this system. I do like your idea of still sitting out a year, but they don't lose a year of eligibility. One nice change that is starting to happen RE: scholarships are that schools are now able to offer multi-year guaranteed scholarships. So a school could promise a recruit a 4-year scholarship that couldn't be taken away (except if the athlete gets in trouble). These could be good for athletes as well as helpful in recruiting for smaller schools.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:I believe we had a total of 5 QBs on the roster last year. One was a senior with some D1 experience, one was a transfer (Young) with no D1 experience who came in at the first of the year and was here for spring football camp, the remaining 3 came in during the summer when they could not be evaluated during spring football camp. On top of that, our entire coaching staff didn't get here until after the first of the year (some right before spring football). So now you are saying "if they were good enough to play as true freshmen, they wouldn't have red-shirted'. That may be the dumbest statement I have seen on this board.
Yep, and coaches don't necessarily pick the right QB. Joe Montana started one year at Notre Dame. Cam Newton was a backup to Tim freaking Tebow at Florida. Just because Kirk started over the young guys doesn't mean he is better than them.

Arguably Boise State's worst QB in the last 15 years, Taylor Tharp, started one season over true freshman Kellen Moore, who redshirted. So Tharp > Moore? I don't think so.

Again, I'm one that is hoping one of these massive young freshman (6'4"+) beats out Coffman. They fit more with what Bohl's had success with in the past.

You bring up those guys but fail to mention that Taylor Tharp lead Boise State to a 10 win season, and Tim Tebow went down as one of the greatest COLLEGE QBs of ALL TIME.

Why play a true freshman if you are winning? Even Florida State redshirted Winston his true freshman season, because they were winning. You can bet your ass if Florida was not winning, Newton would have played. If FSU was not winning Winston would have played. If Boise was not winning Moore would have played.

Just the same that ACS played after Wyoming started 1-2. Beat Weber State (or was it Southern Utah?) lost to Texas, lost to Colorado 24-0. Then ACS started.

If we had beaten Texas and CU you know ACS would not have started.

But last season? We were not good and Kirk still started.
Maybe it was because the Montana, AFA, and FAU wins that guaranteed his job through the rest of the season.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:

+1

It wasn't just any 5th year senior. It was one who was buried on the depth chart, lost to an FCS team at one point in his career, lost his back up role to a TRUE FRESHMAN because of it (Jason Thompson started against AFA because Kirk couldn't cut it against Cal Poly).
Kirk was a scout team QB.

We lost 2 QBs in one off season and that was the only way Kirk was going to start.

We had no talent at the QB position last season. The freshman were not good enough to get the starting spot from him. Young, the Juco kid wasn't good enough either.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:If they were good enough to play and win as true freshmen they would have played and not red-shirted.

The plan wasn't "Oh let's make sure we RS these 2 QBs because we need them to RS so we will play Kirk and lose 8 games".

The plan was to play the best QB we had. And we did.
Bohl has said he likes to come out of spring ball with the starter already named. Last spring, that was Kirkegaard. Thornton was the number two, followed by Stratton. That's already a three-deep with guys who had all spring in the system.

Fast forward to this year. Bohl obviously feels good enough about the current crop of QBs that he moved the only returning non-redshirt QB to WR this spring.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:If they were good enough to play and win as true freshmen they would have played and not red-shirted.

The plan wasn't "Oh let's make sure we RS these 2 QBs because we need them to RS so we will play Kirk and lose 8 games".

The plan was to play the best QB we had. And we did.
Bohl has said he likes to come out of spring ball with the starter already named. Last spring, that was Kirkegaard. Thornton was the number two, followed by Stratton. That's already a three-deep with guys who had all spring in the system.

Fast forward to this year. Bohl obviously feels good enough about the current crop of QBs that he moved the only returning non-redshirt QB to WR this spring.

Honest question here, when Bohl said he likes to have a start already named out of Spring Ball did he mean that in the sense that, if there isn't a clear cut starter by then we are in trouble?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think there's been plenty of players that didn't play as freshman that have been great qb's. Sure, some do, but it sounds like if Bohl is going to have a rough season, he'll do it with an upperclassman
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."
So Kirk was still our #1 and Thorton was our #2.

Just proving we had terrible QB depth last season.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:"We need to come out of spring knowing who our No. 1 quarterback is and who our No. 2 is."

Last season... So you're saying you don't like ANY of the QBs that Bohl and staff recruited and brought in this recruiting season? We just suck all around? Or is it because this guy was a Beaver and you'd be stoked to see him a Cowboy and are arguing for the sake of arguing?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

Last season... So you're saying you don't like ANY of the QBs that Bohl and staff recruited and brought in this recruiting season? We just suck all around? Or is it because this guy was a Beaver and you'd be stoked to see him a Cowboy and are arguing for the sake of arguing?
Has nothing to do with him being a Beaver. When I heard he was transferring I didn't even know who he was.
And I'm not arguing to argue. :roll:

I don't think we have any QBs worth a damn on our roster. I figure a kid with more FBS offers than the rest of our QBs combined might be worth bringing on. Simple as that.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah! Screw coaching up guys that wanted to be here and just go after transfers to bring to an already bloated spot!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Yeah! Screw coaching up guys that wanted to be here and just go after transfers to bring to an already bloated spot!
Winning with a transfer > Losing with someone "who wanted to be here".

Go ahead and make Aaron Young the QB for the next 4 years because he wanted to be here.

Screw. That.

Find someone who can play at a high level and win. Bottom line.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Go ahead and make Aaron Young the QB for the next 4 years because he wanted to be here.

Screw. That.

Find someone who can play at a high level and win. Bottom line.
Maybe that someone is Aaron Young. Or Nick Smith. Or Josh Allen. Or Austin Fort.