Former Beav QB transferring.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

In the past, Bohl likes to recruit overlooked talent and bring them along in his system. He is not big into transfers.

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYOBISONMAN wrote:In the past, Bohl likes to recruit overlooked talent and bring them along in his system. He is not big into transfers.
In the past he was at an FCS school so that's all he had to recruit was overlooked talent.

There has never been a kid at the All-American game on signing day that decided he wanted to go to North Dakota State over Texas, Alabama, and USC.

Recruiting at the FCS level is entirely different than the FBS level.

Building a team that can compete at the top of the FCS is all good when you're in the FCS. But when you consider that 95% of the FBS teams would compete at the top of the FCS it doesn't quite cut it.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Recruiting at the FCS level is entirely different than the FBS level.

Building a team that can compete at the top of the FCS is all good when you're in the FCS. But when you consider of 95% of the FBS teams would compete at the top of the FCS it doesn't quite cut it.
Yep, NDSU blows away their MVC competition across the board. In recruiting, facilities, etc., Bohl was unchallenged. He's a far cry from that at Wyoming. This is an entirely new ball game. If a recruit went FCS, NDSU wins out nearly every time for a kid. I don't think I need to remind anyone that the top FBS recruits do not end up in Laramie.
Last edited by J-Rod on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Kansas of course you don't see Glenn 2,0 here, you see Nick Saban 2.0
I see Bohl 2.0. He has literally been here 14 months. Give the dude some time before we say he's failed and were doomed. There were marked improvements last year from the year before. No it didn't equate to more wins but he is setting the foundation for his football culture. He wants to be here. He wants to build success here. He thinks he can do it, he thinks he is recruiting the players to turn it around. Lets give him a chance. poop, when was the last time we had a recruiting class with this many stars? When was the last time we had a recruiting class with a Nebraska Gatorade player of the year? When was the last time we went in a stole multiple, top tier recruits from the state of oklahoma? It takes time. It is obvious to me, under developing players will not be an issue with Coach Bohl.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:In the past he was at an FCS school so that's all he had to recruit was overlooked talent.

There has never been a kid at the All-American game on signing day that decided he wanted to go to North Dakota State over Texas, Alabama, and USC.

Building a team that can compete at the top of the FCS is all good when you're in the FCS. But when you consider that 95% of the FBS teams would compete at the top of the FCS it doesn't quite cut it.
Has there ever been a kid at the All-American game on signing day that decided he wanted to go to Wyoming over Texas, Alabama, and USC?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's too early to declare Bohl anything. He's not a sure thing to fail or succeed. There were signs of progress in 2014, and signs of serious problems. It wasn't completely one or the other. I really liked some of the recruits Bohl landed (Johnson, Murphy, for example). Some of the others, not so much. No complete judgment can be made one way or the other.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Has there ever been a kid at the All-American game on signing day that decided he wanted to go to Wyoming over Texas, Alabama, and USC?
Nope. Glenn landed some solid prospects, and Brett Smith was a respected recruit to an extent based on rankings, but no Wyoming doesn't land elite recruits. Very few non-P5 schools do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:In the past he was at an FCS school so that's all he had to recruit was overlooked talent.

Has there ever been a kid at the All-American game on signing day that decided he wanted to go to Wyoming over Texas, Alabama, and USC?
What another great post by the monkey.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Your point was that Bohl only could recruit overlooked talent because he was FCS and would never beat Alabama for a kid. If it's so different at Wyoming, who are the guys Wyoming has beaten the elite programs for?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Your point was that Bohl only could recruit overlooked talent because he was FCS and would never beat Alabama for a kid. If it's so different at Wyoming, who are the guys Wyoming has beaten the elite programs for?
Where did I say it's so different?
There is a reason Wyoming football is horrible the last 15+ years.

But exactly like I said earlier, having your pick of FCS recruits is all good when you are playing FCS teams. But not in real D1. Not in the MWC.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:But exactly like I said earlier, having your pick of FCS recruits is all good when you are playing FCS teams. But not in real D1. Not in the MWC.
Who said anything about only recruiting FCS kids? FCS recruits aren't the only ones who get overlooked.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Who said anything about only recruiting FCS kids? FCS recruits aren't the only ones who get overlooked.
No, but it's incredibly difficult to do. Boise at their height turned a few 2-star players into 1st round talent. Below is a list of lowly recruited players they've turned into stars since.

*crickets*

Creating a team loaded with highly under-recruited talent and expecting greatness is pure fantasy in today's college game. You have to land 3-Star players galore to have a chance. Bohl did a decent job of that this past class, but he needs 3-4 classes loaded with C.J. Johnson's and Justice Murphy's to reach the lofty expectations some have for Bohl in Laramie.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I agree with jrod. Until you see our recruiting board look like Boise's we'll probably never be much more than a few good years out of a lot bad
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I'm all good with the under the radar guys IF we can get an O-Line of 3* guys and a 3* QB.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:I'm all good with the under the radar guys IF we can get an O-Line of 3* guys and a 3* QB.
Don't forget to get a Nick Saban 2.0, Ass.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I'm all good with the under the radar guys IF we can get an O-Line of 3* guys and a 3* QB.
Don't forget to get a Nick Saban 2.0, Ass.
Does Nick Saban 1.0 have a nice Ass.?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

If the guy was transferring from a solid winning program, then I could see looking into it. But Oregon State? Pass. We have a similar guy in Coffman. Plus, I think we have plenty of QB talent already.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: Even if we had a world beater qb with all the talent in the world he still probably would not have beaten out Kirk last year.
And there goes your argument down the drain....

I think anyone here would take true freshman ACS or Brett Smith over super senior Kirk any day
+1

SEVERAL freshman QBs start every season.

Yes a lot of them are in spreads or are RS-freshman but it is not too hard to find freshman QBs playing.
Yes, yes we are talking about true freshmen, of course. The only reason Brett Smith and ACS started was because there wasn't anyone even as good as Kirk. The point is it's very, very rare and it's got to be a perfect storm for a true freshman to play as a true freshman.

And the only reason ACS and Brett got to play was because they could run and improvise. A running/improvising qb is not supposed to happen in Bohl's offense.
Just to clarify....ACS beat out a JC transfer (Benjamin?) for the starting job half way through the season. That JC transfer sucked. Other than that, there was no competition.

Brett Smith graduated from high school early, came to Wyoming at semester break, went through spring drills, etc. He wasn't a greenhorn true freshman.

True freshman just don't come in and start if there are better options or if they have had more time in the system. Just proving your point.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:If the guy was transferring from a solid winning program, then I could see looking into it. But Oregon State? Pass. We have a similar guy in Coffman. Plus, I think we have plenty of QB talent already.
Lol...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

JimmyDimes wrote:If the guy was transferring from a solid winning program, then I could see looking into it. But Oregon State? Pass. We have a similar guy in Coffman. Plus, I think we have plenty of QB talent already.
Eh...outside of Coffman, I'm not so sure. I think a lot of Wyoming fans are in for a rude awakening over the next few years. We were spoiled with ACS and Brett.