I wouldn't be surprised if one of our 6'4" quarterbacks

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

ends up at linebacker after the qb derby is settled. I'm not sure if it will happen this fall, or if they'll wait until Cameron graduates, but it seems like that size and athleticism might help to fill one of the thin spots on the team.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Just going down thru the roster and one thing jumps out time after time. A lack of size on both the defensive and offensive side.

In the past I thought this was the case but it seems now it's even more so. Linebackers are going to have a hard time stopping anyone and there's goin to be more injuries until these guys do some growing.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

castlerocker wrote:Just going down thru the roster and one thing jumps out time after time. A lack of size on both the defensive and offensive side.
For about 15 years now.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I remember another LB by the name of Paul Nunu who everyone said was too small to play LB. I know this is just one exception, but I don't think Bohl is finished building this team either in only year 2 (15 months).
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

castlerocker wrote:Just going down thru the roster and one thing jumps out time after time. A lack of size on both the defensive and offensive side.

In the past I thought this was the case but it seems now it's even more so. Linebackers are going to have a hard time stopping anyone and there's goin to be more injuries until these guys do some growing.
Not trying to be rude, but do you understand what you are speaking about? There is more size now at QB and RB and DT than there has been in a while. The WR position is about the same size as are the DB's. The biggest difference is at the LB position. The question comes down, do you want slower big guys or faster shorter guys? Bohl likes guys who can run, and run fast, especially after watching Utah State do those end around on us last year. The LB is a thin position this year, no two ways about it, but at least one thing we have more speed. The Denver Broncos defense utilized smaller than typical LB's. but they could flat out run, and hit, and other defenses in the NFL have adopted that plan, and it works well. If our LB's can run faster, and hit hard and bring guys down, I want the fast guys instead of the slow guys that don't even get to the runner or WR.

Our QB's have been up and down in size, depending upon the type of offense they were being recruited for. Christensen was a spread guy and wanted a guy who could run more, and now Bohl is more of a pro set, so he likes bigger QB's, and our QB's are larger as a group than they probably ever have in the almost 40 years that I have been following the Pokes.

At WR, Dominic Rufran, and Jalen Claiborne were pretty small WR's, Gentry is 6'-2", and Maulhardt is 6'-6", and we have three guys coming in at 6'-2" with exceptional talent.

Our RB's are all over (except for Nico Evans) 200 lbs. We don't have the Dabby Dawson's anymore, and Dabby was a small guy, but incredibly quick.

One thing to keep in mind, and that is if you have been following Wyoming football, Bohl does not put an updated weight chart out for Wyoming football. Take a look, and you will see the young men listed as the same heights and weights as to when they come into the program. These guys have changed a great deal over the two winter programs, but they do not change the height and weight on the roster. I personally wish that they did, but they don't.

One other thing, Christensen didn't like the big heavy OL, he wanted lighter guys that could pull. I would dare say, that if you were to weigh the guys on the team, you would find that every player is different from their roster weight and most of the time the actual weight would be considerably higher than what they are listing on the roster.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Exactly. Seth Edeen is still listed at 205. I guarantee he's not 205 anymore. BTW maybe we see him move to LB, too?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Exactly. Seth Edeen is still listed at 205. I guarantee he's not 205 anymore. BTW maybe we see him move to LB, too?
I agree. We are bigger than the roster shows. Case in point USO Olive. Need I say more. I also agree that Bohl wants a quicker D starting at LB and going into the CBs and Ss. With the D he ran at. NDSU, you can see that he wants this D to run to the ball and make plays. He's getting there. He's still working out kinks and dealing with a roster that is not all his. And even in doing that I've seen drastic changes in performance and attitude. That alone gets me excited and believing we are on the right track.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:Exactly. Seth Edeen is still listed at 205. I guarantee he's not 205 anymore. BTW maybe we see him move to LB, too?

Yep I heard Ole Seth beefed up in the weight room this year. I honestly think linebacker might make sense for him. who knows though. Kid has a huge heart and plays with a great motor.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

mwc fan wrote:

Yep I heard Ole Seth beefed up in the weight room this year. I honestly think linebacker might make sense for him. who knows though. Kid has a huge heart and plays with a great motor.
I think I heard in one of the videos he's added about 20 pounds of muscle
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Larawie
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote:ends up at linebacker after the qb derby is settled. I'm not sure if it will happen this fall, or if they'll wait until Cameron graduates, but it seems like that size and athleticism might help to fill one of the thin spots on the team.
Or possibly TE. I heard where the two walk-ons have already pussed out.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Larawie wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:ends up at linebacker after the qb derby is settled. I'm not sure if it will happen this fall, or if they'll wait until Cameron graduates, but it seems like that size and athleticism might help to fill one of the thin spots on the team.
Where were the walk-ons from?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Larawie
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
Larawie wrote:
Where were the walk-ons from?
I believe both were WY kids. One, I heard, was a juco baseball player who wanted to come back home. I get some weird info from local contacts on occasion so question if any are accurate.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Bohl went out of his way to open up more walk on spots for local boys. This is the way they show their appreciation? This might hurt future local boys if all they do is pack it up and head back to the farm.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

mwc fan wrote:Bohl went out of his way to open up more walk on spots for local boys. This is the way they show their appreciation? This might hurt future local boys if all they do is pack it up and head back to the farm.
Seriously. They couldn't have stuck it out til the end of spring ball? No one likes a quitter.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Can we get some names on these guys?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Maybe get details before passing judgement, Who knows why they left but assuming they are kitty or couldn't cut it may have nothing to do with it.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I heard Gags talk about Seth Edeen, has some sort of " internal "health issues. No time line on his return. Hope the kids alright, he was a guy that played with pure heart. Not really sure what he means by that health issue.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

mwc fan wrote:I heard Gags talk about Seth Edeen, has some sort of " internal "health issues. No time line on his return. Hope the kids alright, he was a guy that played with pure heart. Not really sure what he means by that health issue.

This is second hand info but I understand he has an issue with a kidney. They found something wrong with it and may have to remove it.

On an additional note most all of the walk-ons have already hung it up. It is way more than they ever expected and quickly realized this isn't for them. Someone said that we have lost quite a host of scholarshipped athletes as well.

Also heard through the grapevine that Berger is done with a torn ACL.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
mwc fan wrote:I heard Gags talk about Seth Edeen, has some sort of " internal "health issues. No time line on his return. Hope the kids alright, he was a guy that played with pure heart. Not really sure what he means by that health issue.

This is second hand info but I understand he has an issue with a kidney. They found something wrong with it and may have to remove it.

On an additional note most all of the walk-ons have already hung it up. It is way more than they ever expected and quickly realized this isn't for them. Someone said that we have lost quite a host of scholarshipped athletes as well.

Also heard through the grapevine that Berger is done with a torn ACL.
I love the "unknown" person who says.......does this "unknown" person include in their host of scholarship athletes the 7 that have already been announced that have left before spring ball even started? I would imagine that most if not all of the athletes that have left were Christensen recruits. If you wanted to constantly end up around .500 then I guess we should be sad that we lost these athletes, but if you want to win championships, then we should say, good luck to them and it makes room for athletes that are Cowboy tough and want to win championships before they leave the University of Wyoming AND are willing to put the work in to see it happen. It doesn't sound like it is too tough for some guys, like Uso Olive, and Eddie Yarbrough and Chase Roullier and Rafe Kiely and Ryan Cummings and Lucas Wacha and Shaun Wick and Brian Hill and Drew Van Maanen and Cameron Coffman and Nick Smith and Austin Fort and Josh Allen, and Tanner Gentry and Jake Maulhardt and Jacob Hollister and Tyree Mayfield and a slew of other guys. I love it how you try to make seem like there is a large number of guys going by passing rumors from "unknown" people....easy to do when you don't have to back it up.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Confirmed Trent Sewell is done. I asked him on the Twitters...he said he's retiring. He didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask him to. Just wished him well in his future endeavors.