The big 2015 Wyoming football guide: Patience is a virtue

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ule-roster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always love Connelly's spring preview. No brown and gold shades, just the reality. He's been right pretty much every year.
10. Beware October

I still assume Craig Bohl gets this team where he wants it to be. That the Cowboys managed to win four games with few play-makers and no defensive depth was certainly a positive sign, and Wyoming should be loaded at running back (and, per the recruiting rankings, receiver) for years to come. With so many quarterbacks with potential, one should emerge to lead a decent offense overall. But that defense still needs bodies, and while the overall defensive speed should be as good or better than it was last year, experience and depth are still going to hold the Cowboys back quite a bit.

The 2015 schedule will do them few favors. The home slate -- North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado State, UNLV -- should assure that the Cowboys get back to four wins or so, but the road slate will likely prevent any serious run at bowl eligibility. Wyoming's first string should be pretty decent overall, and if the injury bug is kind, then the Cowboys could improve from 113th in the F/+ rankings to something closer to the 90s. But if or when injuries begin to occur, this team will go downhill quickly. Get your wins in early.

There is an interesting base of talent here, but it will be a lot more interesting a couple of years from now.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Actually a pretty good assessment, but, with all the questions in the MWC, it is so hard to predict right now.

I think we basically have at minimum 1 game in which we should be favored.

I think we have at minimum 6 and maybe 7 toss-up games. We won't win them all and will likely be dogs in several. However, they are games that are waaaaay to early to predict at this point and we should theoretically be pretty competitive in.

I think there are 4-5 games where we will be significant dogs in. Of those, there will be at least 1 where we might challenge.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Didn't know the offensive line never had the same starters until the CSU game to the end of the season. That worked out well for Hill and his maturity. Hope they can gel a lot faster and give Coffman time. Anyways from the looks of the article our defense is in bad shape. Let's hope they're wrong.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Bohl knew what he was getting himself into, but a year into his new life, he finds himself attempting to avoid shortcuts. He's recruiting 175-pound receivers, 265-pound offensive linemen, 185-pound defensive ends, and 195-pound linebackers. He's attempting to sculpt molds of clay. A schedule full of brutal road games will keep the over/under low again this year.
That passage caught my eye. So true. Bohl's success/failure is not just dependent on recruiting, but the weight-lifting program too. Some of these incoming recruits (and 2014 recruits) are going to need to put on serious weight, or this team will be dominated physically by everyone. Development is massive. Not just as a player, but physically too.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Actually a pretty good assessment, but, with all the questions in the MWC, it is so hard to predict right now.

I think we have at minimum 6 and maybe 7 toss-up games. We won't win them all and will likely be dogs in several. However, they are games that are waaaaay to early to predict at this point and we should theoretically be pretty competitive in.

I think there are 4-5 games where we will be significant dogs in. Of those, there will be at least 1 where we might challenge.
I see 2 or 3 max.......Boise and ?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: I see 2 or 3 max.......Boise and ?
Yeah, I don't see many. Boise State...Washington State more than likely. I'm skeptical of Utah State now that Garretson is gone. Will Keeton be alive when UW plays them? Boise will probably be a 24-28 point favorite. Washington State 17-21. Every other semi-tough opponent will be in the 10-15 range at best. Firm underdogs, but not massive underdogs.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Bohl knew what he was getting himself into, but a year into his new life, he finds himself attempting to avoid shortcuts. He's recruiting 175-pound receivers, 265-pound offensive linemen, 185-pound defensive ends, and 195-pound linebackers. He's attempting to sculpt molds of clay. A schedule full of brutal road games will keep the over/under low again this year.
That passage caught my eye. So true. Bohl's success/failure is not just dependent on recruiting, but the weight-lifting program too. Some of these incoming recruits (and 2014 recruits) are going to need to put on serious weight, or this team will be dominated physically by everyone. Development is massive. Not just as a player, but physically too.
So we recruit one guy to play DE who weighs 185, but had some decent offers. That is one guy. Linebacker yes, but Bohl is adding speed. There are many teams who play LB's in the 220 range. How big do receivers need to be. I think someone is knit picking. And 265 Olinemen is pretty normal.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Receivers? Overall, it's pretty flexible. You can have 5'9/5'10 guys that can be just as successful as 6'4 guys, provided they are used for their strengths.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

JimmyDimes wrote: I see 2 or 3 max.......Boise and ?
I think we will certainly be dogs vs. BSU and WSU for 2. Perhaps our definition of significant is different. I would define significant as 9+.

At this point, it is hard to tell exactly which team, but I expect at least 2 to surface from USU, CSU, SDSU, and AF that will be 9+ point favorites against us.

Pure speculation and kind of a worst case scenario.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Actually a pretty good assessment, but, with all the questions in the MWC, it is so hard to predict right now.

I see 2 or 3 max.......Boise and ?

Boise, Wazzu, Utah State, CSU, San Diego State
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.