ESPN GameDay coming to Laramie...could it happen?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WSTT
Buckaroo

On today's Wyoming Sports Talk Today, Pokes Head Coach Craig Bohl stated that he would consider his tenure a failure if by the time he's done in Laramie the Pokes do not play for a MWC Championship.

He also stated that in addition to that -- it is his objective to have the ESPN GameDay crew do their show from War Memorial Stadium.

Winning objectives, raising the bar high...not at all accepting mediocrity.

How can you not love this guy?

Go Pokes!

Full interview will be posted on KRAE Website soon here--> 1480KRAE.COM
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It would be awesome. Likely need a high profile opponent to come to Laramie for that to happen.

Oregon 2017 is a good one. Missouri 2019. Texas Tech 2022. Obviously that last one is way down the line.
WSTT
Buckaroo

J-Rod wrote:It would be awesome. Likely need a high profile opponent to come to Laramie for that to happen.

Oregon 2017 is a good one. Missouri 2019. Texas Tech 2022. Obviously that last one is way down the line.
Love your idea of Oregon in 2017, J-Rod...that'd be a biggie.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Hopefully Oregon doesn't buy out of the game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

seattlecowboy wrote:Hopefully Oregon doesn't buy out of the game.
I got a bad feeling they'll pull a Tennessee on us somehow. The home game vs. the Vols we were supposed to have in Laramie ended up getting moved to Nashville. On the bright side, we got $2 million for our troubles and used the money to buyout Keonning's contract.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WSTT
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Hopefully Oregon doesn't buy out of the game.
I got a bad feeling they'll pull a Tennessee on us somehow. The home game vs. the Vols we were supposed to have in Laramie ended up getting moved to Nashville. On the bright side, we got $2 million for our troubles and used the money to buyout Keonning's contract.
Is that an option contained within the game contract - or could Oregon simply offer to buy out the game and move it to Eugene contingent upon Wyoming's approval?

I'd have to think that if the program is where we all think it's going to be in 2017 -- that unless Oregon (or anyone else) has the option to buy their way out of the deal I say no way the Pokes would be interested in such a proposition.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Usually a school offers a boatload of money to move the game and we accept it. Never seen us turn down moving a game or they buy it out so they don't have to play and that is a good amount of money as well.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:It would be awesome. Likely need a high profile opponent to come to Laramie for that to happen.

Damn that would be awesome. I hadn't even thought about that. That would be huge for the program.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It usually depends on how the schedule shapes up. I think a Border War would be the perfect gameday setting, and the type of atmosphere they want to show for the "smaller" programs.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:It usually depends on how the schedule shapes up. I think a Border War would be the perfect gameday setting, and the type of atmosphere they want to show for the "smaller" programs.
It still rarely ever happens though. Non-P5 programs have been a little jealous of NDSU getting the event TWICE. Boise got it once. Air Force has had it several times, mainly cause Notre Dame was playing there. Houston got it once, as did BYU. It usually has to be a HUGE matchup. Some historic non-P5 matchups didn't even get considered. So I would temper expectations. It's happened 4 times in 20+ years.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:It usually depends on how the schedule shapes up. I think a Border War would be the perfect gameday setting, and the type of atmosphere they want to show for the "smaller" programs.
It still rarely ever happens though. Non-P5 programs have been a little jealous of NDSU getting the event TWICE. Boise got it once. Air Force has had it several times, mainly cause Notre Dame was playing there. Houston got it once, as did BYU. It usually has to be a HUGE matchup. Some historic non-P5 matchups didn't even get considered. So I would temper expectations. It's happened 4 times in 20+ years.
Absolutely it has to be a good matchup. But just having it be two good teams isn't always enough. There has to be something behind the game that will give them a reason to come. There is no history to the Oregon matchup...it's just a big name to us. There are about 5 other games Oregon plays that would be a better choice for Gameday than a game in Laramie. They can go to a Duck game practically any week of the year.

For non-P5s, it either needs to be a top-25 matchup or a historic matchup/rivalry (or both).
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

That seems like an Oregon thing to do. I doubt they come to Laramie. kitty.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

It can happen. If we went to a New years bowl the year before and were ranked coming in and playing a good team at home early in the season OR if we were playing really well(undefeated maybe) and playing aonther ranked(undefeated) MWC game at home. The one caveat is we also have to get lucky and not have a great matchup elsewhere in the country. Thats why NDSU got it. There is always a week where there isn't much for exciting games(on a national level) so they take the opportunity to go somewhere they don't go often. We need to get good then get lucky with the schedule.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I'd put my money on the 2019 Mizzou game over the 2017 Oregon game.

Wyoming is so far away from being "that" team that people want to see.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:I'd put my money on the 2019 Mizzou game over the 2017 Oregon game.

Yep, this would be an awesome event for the state...but the chickens need to hatch first.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I'd put my money on the 2019 Mizzou game over the 2017 Oregon game.

Yep, this would be an awesome event for the state...but the chickens need to hatch first.
The good news for Wyoming is that there is a chance. ESPN loves ratings. They don't really care too much about history of the programs, just that they are winning at the moment.

If Wyo goes to a couple of bowl games in the next few years, has a great 2018, and Mizzou is ranked highly, we could be hosting Game Day.

Good thing is that with Mizzou being an SEC team, we don't really need to hope they are building up the way we hope to be, but just simply hope they are 2-0 or 3-0 when we play them and they could be ranked Top 10.

We just gotta build up. Bowling this season. Bowling next season.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I think winning big (9+ wins) is going to take some time. 3-4 years time at least. Thankfully, ESPN and College GameDay in particular loves Craig Bohl. If Wyo ever gets CGD, I bet it's through some solid networking Bohl has done in the past more so than how UW is doing on the field.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Another thing that has to happen is that there need to not be any big games going on in the rest of college football that week. This year when Gameday went to NDSU, there were zero big games going on in the rest of the country. It could be the biggest mathcup of undefeated teams in Wyoming's history, but if #X Ohio State is playing #Y Wisconsin or #A Alabama is playing #B Florida, it won't matter how good Wyoming's game looks.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:Another thing that has to happen is that there need to not be any big games going on in the rest of college football that week. This year when Gameday went to NDSU, there were zero big games going on in the rest of the country. It could be the biggest mathcup of undefeated teams in Wyoming's history, but if #X Ohio State is playing #Y Wisconsin or #A Alabama is playing #B Florida, it won't matter how good Wyoming's game looks.
Agreed. Unless Wyoming and Mizzou go undefeated from now til the game in 2019, we aren't going to be the game of the week.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:Another thing that has to happen is that there need to not be any big games going on in the rest of college football that week. This year when Gameday went to NDSU, there were zero big games going on in the rest of the country. It could be the biggest mathcup of undefeated teams in Wyoming's history, but if #X Ohio State is playing #Y Wisconsin or #A Alabama is playing #B Florida, it won't matter how good Wyoming's game looks.
Bingo. There have been some great non-P5 teams (Boise, TCU, Utah, etc.) who've had great teams, playing vs. great opponents, and not had CGD come to town because Oregon was playing USC. A lot has to go right, which is why I said lots of non-P5 fans are super jealous of NDSU getting the event TWICE.

For example...Boise State will open 2015 ranked, coming off a NY6 bowl victory in a supposed "rebuilding year". They open with a very inexperienced Chris Petersen-led Washington team. Petersen back to Boise, Broncos are a top-ranked opponent. The story lines are abundant. CGD worthy? You would think so, but nope....rumor is Bama-Wisconsin or Texas-Notre Dame will get the nod from CGD.

So, you're exactly right WWP. A lot has to go perfectly for CGD to end up in Laramie.