Just say no to BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

If Turd Thompson was asked by the Cougars to rejoin, my bet is the powers that make up the conference would concede entry back into the fold. I think Bohl and Shyatt would welcome the competition, and I would make the pilgrammage from the midwest back for the game every year Wyoming played in the WAR against these inbred overage jack asses. ESPN would gladly have nice payouts for the league, but no "special deals" or financial arrangements should be considered. My greatest memories is beating these dick lickers, next is CSU.....then Boise if we ever do.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:For me, it is business. At this point, we have to operate under the assumption that the current landscape of college athletics won't change in the next few years. Obviously it could, but how can predict?

With that, I think there is sufficient strength (or will be after a year or two) in the MWC to garner the NY6 bid IF you schedule well OOC. Take home, byu could help in regards to strength and NY6 bid in conference, but are not necessary as long as you schedule decent OOC.

After that, you have to wonder what would they do for TV. I imagine we would get a bump but spread over 12-14 teams, it would be negligible. Net gain financially would be minimal.

The MWC as a bball conference is perfectly fine even in our down years. Net gain of byu is almost nothing.

Conference stability? No brainer, byu is a destabilizing force and would no doubt threaten the existence of the MWC. At some point shortly after rejoing, chatter of "best of the rest" conference would start in provo.

Gain for byu? Really, only the NY6 access. There is no other benefit for them to rejoin.

End analysis: byu does nothing for the MWC and the MWC does little for byu. I vote no even if they wanted back.
I agree with most all of this, but one thing is forgotten - the value of actually belonging to a conference. If BYU loses a single game their season is essentially over. What are they playing for after that? It's freaking stupid. After their first loss of each season they should just quit playing because it's not like they can, you know, win a conference championship. They have no rivals they play consistently and no games that carry and real significance. It's like they are playing for a participation ribbon which is pathetic and hilarious. BYU football is utterly pointless in it's current state. I don't know about the rest of you, but winning the MWC tourney crown felt freaking good! To be able to say we are conference champs is an amazing accomplishment and those asses from BYU cannot do that in football.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

johnywyo wrote: ESPN would gladly have nice payouts for the league,
We would either need to go to 14 or drop someone to stay at 12. 13 would be awkward.

Either way, say ESPN increased our pay by 6 mil (I doubt they would even do that), then we are talking something like $500K per team. I seriously doubt byu would even net that much of a gain for us. Peanuts and not worth pursuing for money. Competitively? Perhaps, but still not worth it, IMO.

For WYO, if Burman thought that we could get more and better OOC games, and adding byu meant we had more OOC games, then, I would definitely investigate.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: I agree with most all of this, but one thing is forgotten - the value of actually belonging to a conference. If BYU loses a single game their season is essentially over.
In bball they do have a conference. In football, they technically have a few bowl tie-ins they are playing for. I agree with you but I think byu doesn't. It makes them feel better if they are under the delusion that they play a schedule that they think compares with Utah. It doesn't, but they feel like they have a better schedule than in the MWC.

Whatever floats their boat, I guess.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:I'm kinda with mcpeachy, I hope they die a painful death. But until then, if the top 4 in basketball for the mountain west played byu twice and San Jose zero times, we would've gotten 4 bids, no doubt.
Haha no doubt. I would gladly welcome BYU back to get bitch slapped in the MWC if it meant we dropped San Jose State. Anything that prevents us from having to watch Muhammad slink up and down the floor like he's gods gift to basketball. What a joke.
Using this rationale, you'd give up one cocky, arrogant player to gain a cocky, arrogant university full of cocky, arrogant athletes and followed by extremely cocky, arrogant fans? Hmmm.....
Yes because BYU is actually a national brand that matters in the grand scope of things. AND BYU wouldn't tank our SOS
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:I'm kinda with mcpeachy, I hope they die a painful death. But until then, if the top 4 in basketball for the mountain west played byu twice and San Jose zero times, we would've gotten 4 bids, no doubt.
Haha no doubt. I would gladly welcome BYU back to get bitch slapped in the MWC if it meant we dropped San Jose State. Anything that prevents us from having to watch Muhammad slink up and down the floor like he's gods gift to basketball. What a joke.
Using this rationale, you'd give up one cocky, arrogant player to gain a cocky, arrogant university full of cocky, arrogant athletes and followed by extremely cocky, arrogant fans? Hmmm.....
Yes because BYU is actually a national brand that matters in the grand scope of things. AND BYU wouldn't tank our SOS
Yes, but that isn't the rationale you used in your first post...your rationale was because Muhammad is a cocky f$%#. I agree, byu would be more competitive, but their arrogance would make Muhammad look like a level-headed guy.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Yes, but that isn't the rationale you used in your first post...your rationale was because Muhammad is a cocky f$%#. I agree, byu would be more competitive, but their arrogance would make Muhammad look like a level-headed guy.
The point I am making is that if we have to endure a bunch of arrogant scum, wouldn't it be easier to endure if they actually helped the perception of the conference?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Meh, byu was left out just like the rest of us. Their "national appeal" is already diminishing and will continue to do so at a rapid rate. The P5 vs G5 is a powerful label that even byu can't overcome. From a ratings standpoint, they are an also ran. They do not garner any more interest (in terms of ratings) than USU vs. NV, for example.

They are a very well funded and well attended program with nice facilities. They obviously have the Mormon thing going which is the source of any real or perceived national prominence.

Nonetheless, without the P5 label, even within the Mormon population, they will take a relative backseat to bigger programs. Just like in our State, how many Michigan, Nebraska, or whatever shirts, jerseys, hats, etc. do you see?

The national prominence (whatever is left of it) of byu is eroding and will be nothing within a decade unless they find their way into a P5 conference.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:The national prominence (whatever is left of it) of byu is eroding and will be nothing within a decade unless they find their way into a P5 conference.
Exactly, and the only reason they'd want to get back into MWC again would be to somehow use it as a stepping stone to get to P5 - which means they'd be here only a few years, maybe finding another creative way to attempt to backstab the conference once again.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 44 times

Holy BS to the max...

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/4/17/ ... on-for-byu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

read the comments by BYU's coach as to why they had to leave the MWC....
https://twitter.com/gregwrubell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

:? WTH!?? Man, Bronco is straight up DELUSIONAL. byu is toast. They are an also ran like the rest of us. Where are they gonna go? Pac? Nope. Big 12 is about to get exemption for conference championship and some in or with ties to the Big 12 already said they don't want them (comments from T Boone come to mind).

byu is screwed just like the rest of us only worse. They don't have auto access to the NY6 spot.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

That being said, what I predicted would happen to BYU* Football in independence is coming to bear. They are persona non grata as far as conference membership in any other conference and BYU* isn't some sort of Mormon Notre Dame. Independence is killing their program. I say good- let it wither and die. At this rate, in ten years, Lavelle Edwards Stadium will be used for church rallies and the occasional Up With People! show...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

That being said, what I predicted would happen to BYU* Football in independence is coming to bear. They are persona non grata as far as conference membership in any other conference and BYU* isn't some sort of Mormon Notre Dame. Independence is killing their program. I say good- let it wither and die. At this rate, in ten years, Lavelle Edwards Stadium will be used for church rallies and the occasional Up With People! show...

I agree with everything you said, but I want to make a point in todays world of college football there are two groups of people: Those who win and those who have integrity.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

I agree with everything you said, but I want to make a point in todays world of college football there are two groups of people: Those who win and those who have integrity.
Exactly. Integrity gets you nothing. Nothing. There isn't a coach, team, or league who wouldn't step on their best friend for a chance to move up the College Football Landscape.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
I agree in football. Basketball in place of, say SJSU, would be HUGE!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
I agree in football. Basketball in place of, say SJSU, would be HUGE!
That swap would definitely improve rpi but likely we would have to keep sjsu. Even if we could swap, I'm not sure our number of bids would be impacted on average. OOC scheduling will do more for rpi than byu can.

Definitely don't disagree that rpi should be boosted with byu in the mix but I don't know that it would help with number of bids. Higher seeds maybe? Still, I prefer ooc scheduling to byu.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Agreed, I am not opposed to an OOC game vs the MLM'ers from Provo. However, I don't want them back in the conference.

We know every team's end goal is to get in a P5 conference. It would be hypocritical to say that UW wouldn't completely take a deuce on the MWC if we got an invite. Maybe light it on fire on the way out. I realize that BYU returning back to the MWC would be a stepping stone to get P5 only move, so I can't blame them for that. We would do the same. What comes with them, though, is too much drama. The fanbase is full on crazy. Living in Utah, I have a few BYU fan friends that are actually pretty reasonable. Conversely, the 4-5 that are reasonable can't overpower the 450,000 that are full-on asinine. That is .00001 percent.

I can't handle the media surrounding them. I can't handle the arrogance in which they operate. I can't handle Bronco's press conferences. Thanks, but no thanks. According to BYU, part of the reason they left the conf was to promote the image of the church. WTH??? As one of the few LDS Cowboy fans, I am here to tell ya, I couldn't be more embarrassed to have BYU fans associated with me by default. They have done no favors in this regard. The sucker punch for me was the final straw. I would be totally okay if BYU dropped sports altogether. I am not trying to turn this into a religious debate. You have your beliefs, I can have mine. But a large group of BYU fans and org DO NOT practice what I am learning about.

I know several people in LDS church leadership in SLC who facepalm every time BYU makes the next move. Like I said, doing no favors for the church as they had hoped.

Yet, here we have another BYU thread. Like syphilis, just keeps surfacing time to time.

BYU, go away.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote: We know every team's end goal is to get in a P5 conference. It would be hypocritical to say that UW wouldn't completely take a deuce on the MWC if we got an invite. Maybe light it on fire on the way out.
There are so many ways you can leave. TCU and Utah left almost without drama. BSU and SDSU almost left with some drama, and I think this is about as far as most teams would go.

BYU backdoor-negotiated a deal that would have killed their entire former conference. Sorry, I can't see UW doing that, and if they did, that would be the moment I stopped being a fan. It takes a special kind of moral bankruptcy to get to that place.