Just say no to BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Holy BS to the max...

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/4/17/ ... on-for-byu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

read the comments by BYU's coach as to why they had to leave the MWC....
https://twitter.com/gregwrubell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

:? WTH!?? Man, Bronco is straight up DELUSIONAL. byu is toast. They are an also ran like the rest of us. Where are they gonna go? Pac? Nope. Big 12 is about to get exemption for conference championship and some in or with ties to the Big 12 already said they don't want them (comments from T Boone come to mind).

byu is screwed just like the rest of us only worse. They don't have auto access to the NY6 spot.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

That being said, what I predicted would happen to BYU* Football in independence is coming to bear. They are persona non grata as far as conference membership in any other conference and BYU* isn't some sort of Mormon Notre Dame. Independence is killing their program. I say good- let it wither and die. At this rate, in ten years, Lavelle Edwards Stadium will be used for church rallies and the occasional Up With People! show...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

That being said, what I predicted would happen to BYU* Football in independence is coming to bear. They are persona non grata as far as conference membership in any other conference and BYU* isn't some sort of Mormon Notre Dame. Independence is killing their program. I say good- let it wither and die. At this rate, in ten years, Lavelle Edwards Stadium will be used for church rallies and the occasional Up With People! show...

I agree with everything you said, but I want to make a point in todays world of college football there are two groups of people: Those who win and those who have integrity.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:While there is some validity in the argument that BYU* Football would sort of elevate the MW's visibility, I think it comes at great cost to integrity. Some things are not for sale, and an organization's integrity should always be off the table.

I agree with everything you said, but I want to make a point in todays world of college football there are two groups of people: Those who win and those who have integrity.
Exactly. Integrity gets you nothing. Nothing. There isn't a coach, team, or league who wouldn't step on their best friend for a chance to move up the College Football Landscape.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
I agree in football. Basketball in place of, say SJSU, would be HUGE!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:And, at the end of the day, byu doesn't help us in any way. Our champ already received the ny6 bid in a down year for the MWC. We don't need them. They will be totally irrelevant and filling Tuesday timeslots within a decade unless they get P5 invite.
I agree in football. Basketball in place of, say SJSU, would be HUGE!
That swap would definitely improve rpi but likely we would have to keep sjsu. Even if we could swap, I'm not sure our number of bids would be impacted on average. OOC scheduling will do more for rpi than byu can.

Definitely don't disagree that rpi should be boosted with byu in the mix but I don't know that it would help with number of bids. Higher seeds maybe? Still, I prefer ooc scheduling to byu.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Agreed, I am not opposed to an OOC game vs the MLM'ers from Provo. However, I don't want them back in the conference.

We know every team's end goal is to get in a P5 conference. It would be hypocritical to say that UW wouldn't completely take a deuce on the MWC if we got an invite. Maybe light it on fire on the way out. I realize that BYU returning back to the MWC would be a stepping stone to get P5 only move, so I can't blame them for that. We would do the same. What comes with them, though, is too much drama. The fanbase is full on crazy. Living in Utah, I have a few BYU fan friends that are actually pretty reasonable. Conversely, the 4-5 that are reasonable can't overpower the 450,000 that are full-on asinine. That is .00001 percent.

I can't handle the media surrounding them. I can't handle the arrogance in which they operate. I can't handle Bronco's press conferences. Thanks, but no thanks. According to BYU, part of the reason they left the conf was to promote the image of the church. WTH??? As one of the few LDS Cowboy fans, I am here to tell ya, I couldn't be more embarrassed to have BYU fans associated with me by default. They have done no favors in this regard. The sucker punch for me was the final straw. I would be totally okay if BYU dropped sports altogether. I am not trying to turn this into a religious debate. You have your beliefs, I can have mine. But a large group of BYU fans and org DO NOT practice what I am learning about.

I know several people in LDS church leadership in SLC who facepalm every time BYU makes the next move. Like I said, doing no favors for the church as they had hoped.

Yet, here we have another BYU thread. Like syphilis, just keeps surfacing time to time.

BYU, go away.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

djm19 wrote: We know every team's end goal is to get in a P5 conference. It would be hypocritical to say that UW wouldn't completely take a deuce on the MWC if we got an invite. Maybe light it on fire on the way out.
There are so many ways you can leave. TCU and Utah left almost without drama. BSU and SDSU almost left with some drama, and I think this is about as far as most teams would go.

BYU backdoor-negotiated a deal that would have killed their entire former conference. Sorry, I can't see UW doing that, and if they did, that would be the moment I stopped being a fan. It takes a special kind of moral bankruptcy to get to that place.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Can I get the details of what they did to harm the MWC when they were leaving......No way am I defending those pricks just wanting details. I understood the reasoning at the time of going independent though.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:Can I get the details of what they did to harm the MWC when they were leaving......No way am I defending those pricks just wanting details. I understood the reasoning at the time of going independent though.
In a nutshell:

byu was going indy (not yet announced) and bsu had just joined. byu needed a landing spot for their olympic sports and the wac was the target. In order to boost the wac, byu was working with usu and Benson to poach MWC teams in something called "the project". The move would have decimated the MWC and perhaps killed it due to the instability at the time.

Thompson got wind and immediately killed the wac by extending invites to our now conference brethren. This blew up the wac and sent byu to the west coast with Gonzaga et al.

usu president at one point was gleefully stating how BSU's president's (Kustra) world was crumbling around him. usu (maybe not fans) but administration is very much a byu bedfellow.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/27/ ... -named-the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/501 ... n.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a more detailed one: http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20 ... =101746833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for more info.

It is tough to tell if it is all Benson or if others were involved in the poaching idea, but I very much doubt that byu had no involvement. byu also knew what the MWC would have to do to stabilize itself so byu tried to thwart the MWC by introducing the buyout.

I'm very disappointed we invited usu after the shenanigans, and we should definitely never consider allowing byu in the conference. It really isn't an issue, however, because I doubt they would ever want to come back either.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

ooooohhhhhh now I remember.....was having some medical issues at the time so the memory was a little foggy.

Always hated those guys....and their players were normally the dirtiest of the conference. Although they generally had better teams, it was always nice to get a win against those pricks.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

BJC wrote:ooooohhhhhh now I remember.....was having some medical issues at the time so the memory was a little foggy.

Always hated those guys....and their players were normally the dirtiest of the conference. Although they generally had better teams, it was always nice to get a win against those pricks.
Loved our wins against them in 1988 and in 1999. Both games were on national TV. I know the 1988 game was on ESPN but was the 1999 game on ABC?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

99% sure it was ESPN in 99.....didn't they bring in the lights
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

BeaverPoke wrote:

Okay then, f--k integrity. But f--k BYU* too. Let them spiral in and die. With any luck, the Wasatch will collapse on the city of Provo and lightening will topple that horn-blowing faerie from the top of the SLC temple.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:I agree with everything you said, but I want to make a point in todays world of college football there are two groups of people: Those who win and those who have integrity.
So are you saying that any coach who wins doesn't have integrity? If so, I strongly disagree.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BJC
A Real Cowboy

I think it is a general statement with obvious outliers but....

Small example:

Lou Holtz
Urban
Osborn
Jimbo
Tressel
Pete C.

Winning coaches with questionable areas...