Depth Chart released

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:What many people miss is that Bohl was able to recruit and attract the top tier talent to NDSU for that classification, I am not sure he will be able to do that at Wyoming. It is not a dig on Bohl or his ability to recruit.... it is the age old issue that rears its ugly head in Laramie, Wyoming. Most elite level D1 talent is not going to come to Wyoming. We can't even keep top tier talent from our own state how are we going to bring it in?
Valid point. NDSU was the top dog in their food chain, and it wasn't even close. That's not the case with UW.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:What many people miss is that Bohl was able to recruit and attract the top tier talent to NDSU for that classification, I am not sure he will be able to do that at Wyoming. It is not a dig on Bohl or his ability to recruit.... it is the age old issue that rears its ugly head in Laramie, Wyoming. Most elite level D1 talent is not going to come to Wyoming. We can't even keep top tier talent from our own state how are we going to bring it in?
Valid point. NDSU was the top dog in their food chain, and it wasn't even close. That's not the case with UW.
They were at the end, but they didn't start out at the top.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: They were at the end, but they didn't start out at the top.
Agreed, but overcoming Indiana State and Northern Iowa aren't exactly the same as overcoming Boise State and Utah State. NDSU went unchallenged in the MVC, which is not even the best conference at the FCS level. I'm curious to see how NDSU would have (or still would) do in the Big Sky vs. EWU, Montana, Montana State, etc. MVC is loaded with programs barely making it as a sport.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Agreed, but overcoming Indiana State and Northern Iowa aren't exactly the same as overcoming Boise State and Utah State. NDSU went unchallenged in the MVC, which is not even the best conference at the FCS level. I'm curious to see how NDSU would have (or still would) do in the Big Sky vs. EWU, Montana, Montana State, etc. MVC is loaded with programs barely making it as a sport.
The Big Sky is like the Big 10 of the FBS. The MVC equates out to the MWC in conference rankings per their division (FBS/ FCS)
I think Bohl has a great opportunity to get us on top of our conf and then get us up there nationally. If that is constantly being ranked in the bottom half of the top 25 year in and year out, I'm okay with that. But every program has to build to that point. They don't just wake up one year and say, " yup, were going all in this year! We're gonna win most of our games from here on out, season after season." And they just start winning...
It's a dream. Plain and simple. Even most of your more prolific programs can't say that they can do that.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
NDSU went 7-3 against FBS teams, all on the road, while Bohl was head coach. Wins at Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Kansas State. That tells me when he has time to build a program he can, will, and does. Plus, it has to be even more difficult to recruit to North Dakata than to Wyoming IMO.

And Utah State? I can agree with Boise, but we'll be caught up with Utah State this year or next at the latest. We did out gain them last year.....special teams are what did us in in that game. And, this is in no way a jab at Utah State....who has had decent success over the past couple years and could be good again this year.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote: The Big Sky is like the Big 10 of the FBS. The MVC equates out to the MWC in conference rankings per their division (FBS/ FCS)
I think Bohl has a great opportunity to get us on top of our conf and then get us up there nationally. If that is constantly being ranked in the bottom half of the top 25 year in and year out, I'm okay with that. But every program has to build to that point. They don't just wake up one year and say, " yup, were going all in this year! We're gonna win most of our games from here on out, season after season." And they just start winning...
It's a dream. Plain and simple. Even most of your more prolific programs can't say that they can do that.
I argument here, I agree. In today's college football, and the future version, getting close to Top 25 status IMO is the very best case scenario. These are not good times for non-P5 schools. Not at all.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: NDSU went 7-3 against FBS teams, all on the road, while Bohl was head coach. Wins at Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, and Kansas State. That tells me when he has time to build a program he can, will, and does. Plus, it has to be even more difficult to recruit to North Dakata than to Wyoming IMO.

And Utah State? I can agree with Boise, but we'll be caught up with Utah State this year or next at the latest. We did out gain them last year.....special teams are what did us in in that game. And, this is in no way a jab at Utah State....who has had decent success over the past couple years and could be good again this year.
Fair enough...I too don't see Utah State maintaining this level of success much longer. IMO they are much more like 2008-2011 Nevada or 2006-2010 Hawaii than they are another Boise, so I agree. Don't tell them that though. They have some of the cockiest fans in the MW (MWBoard, USUfans). They think they're Boise State or better, but haven't done a damn thing to warrant that kind of praise. They annually believe they have Top 15 potential though. I think they lose 4-6 games this season.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Moving kamana to LB will certainly save a few touchdowns. I've seen him make some great plays but he sure did get burned at safety.

I'm not sure how to comprehend the walk ons earning starting gigs. One hand I think they must be playing their ass off and that's great. On the other, we have no depth and few injuries and this is what we're left with?
Great to see them earning it. I always root for them. I just hope they're starting material
Our best DE ever in Mitch Donahue was a walk on who became legend as a Cowboy.
Exception not the rule.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Moving kamana to LB will certainly save a few touchdowns. I've seen him make some great plays but he sure did get burned at safety.

I'm not sure how to comprehend the walk ons earning starting gigs. One hand I think they must be playing their ass off and that's great. On the other, we have no depth and few injuries and this is what we're left with?
Great to see them earning it. I always root for them. I just hope they're starting material
Our best DE ever in Mitch Donahue was a walk on who became legend as a Cowboy.
Exception not the rule.
Your point?
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Another Wyoming walk-on put on scholarship! I don't want to steal the kids thunder but it is good to see Bohl treating the Wyoming kids good.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

rewarding walk on's with scholarships is a bohl/ndsu tradition and its awesome...its great for local HS coaches to point out and it helps with recruiting!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Oh My...from spring ball, 5 months ago. I should have listed more to some of you. :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...