Depth Chart released

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: I am talking about Wyoming winning bowl games. I am talking Wyoming being in or on the verge of the Top 25.
I am talking about Wyoming being respected by outsiders. When people see Wyoming on the schedule saying "Oh poop" instead of "Hell yeah, chalk up an easy W".
Doing this will take time under the best case scenario. I'm like you in that I think our AD is more of an anchor to Bohl, but I do believe Bohl is going to do this DESPITE our AD.

Agreed that it will take time to get to your criteria.

Competing in the MWC? If we aren't competing in the MWC by next year, then we should evaluate the importance of football to WYO. I'm sorry, but that is reality. This conference is so bad that it shouldn't take more than 3 years of a concerted effort to climb the ranks.
What are you saying? Drop the program? that will never ever happen so we need to make the best of it and commit to excellence which is what we are doing.

We should we be able to compete next year? It takes at least 3-4 years for a coach to get his program rolling. I would literally give Bohl 6-7 years of relative futility before I would even think of questioning his job.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: What are you saying? Drop the program? that will never ever happen so we need to make the best of it and commit to excellence which is what we are doing.

We should we be able to compete next year? It takes at least 3-4 years for a coach to get his program rolling. I would literally give Bohl 6-7 years of relative futility before I would even think of questioning his job.
I think we all may have different definitions of "competing". Bohl getting Wyoming to a level where they win 6-7 games and make it to a lower level bowl is not going to take long. Should happen by 2016, 2017 at the latest. To some, that isn't "competing". 75% of college football goes bowling every year. The accomplishment doesn't mean what it used to, which puts into perspective how far things have fallen off recently. That I'm confident will come. To some, competing means relevancy. Fighting for MW titles, eventually competing for NY6 bowl slots and floating around the Top 25 area. That IMO, is what I'm referring to when I personally say "it's going to take time, possibly 4-7 years". That's what I mean by competing. But getting to a small bowl at 6-6? Pfft...that might happen this year, or 2016...2017 at the very latest. I agree with ragtimejoe1, if we have to wait until 2017 or later for the first ever bowl bid, even a pathetic one, then I'll become quite skeptical of Bohl.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

@LanderPoke We'll have to agree to disagree. If it takes 5 to 6 years to compete with this:

North Dakota
E Michigan
Washington St
New Mexico
Appalachian St
Air Force
Nevada
Boise State
Utah State
Colorado State
San Diego State
UNLV

then FFS, we should pack it in now. Are you telling me we have to get 'em in and coach 'em up for 5-6 years to compete with that bunch!!?

I guess I'm saying that if that is the case, I don't think we have to worry about a competitive football team. My opinion is that if Bohl can't compete next year and damn sure by the following, it isn't going to happen. It isn't like we are trying to climb the ranks of the MWC of old.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote: if we have to wait until 2017 or later for the first ever bowl bid, even a pathetic one, then I'll become quite skeptical of Bohl.
This. MWC championships and overcoming BSU will take some time. Competing in the upper third of the conference better not. NY6 Bowl? Yeah, 6 years minimum on an ideal trajectory and if we are ever to be so lucky.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote:@LanderPoke We'll have to agree to disagree. If it takes 5 to 6 years to compete with this:

North Dakota
E Michigan
Washington St
New Mexico
Appalachian St
Air Force
Nevada
Boise State
Utah State
Colorado State
San Diego State
UNLV

then FFS, we should pack it in now. Are you telling me we have to get 'em in and coach 'em up for 5-6 years to compete with that bunch!!?

I guess I'm saying that if that is the case, I don't think we have to worry about a competitive football team. My opinion is that if Bohl can't compete next year and damn sure by the following, it isn't going to happen. It isn't like we are trying to climb the ranks of the MWC of old.
How have you not come to the realization this is Wyoming by now? If it takes a school that has no trouble getting 3-4 star recruits 3-4 years to turn a program around how the hell is a 2-3 start recruit school going to do it faster?

5-7 years to be in the top 3 of this conference and that is at a minimum it's likely to take a little longer it's not like we get to pick and choose recruits. There is a very specific recruit that comes to Wyoming and it's sure as poop not loaded with 4-5 star athletes it's loaded with 2-3 star. We have to win and go to Bowl games for 4-5 years to attract the 4 star athlete.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:@LanderPoke We'll have to agree to disagree. If it takes 5 to 6 years to compete with this:

North Dakota
E Michigan
Washington St
New Mexico
Appalachian St
Air Force
Nevada
Boise State
Utah State
Colorado State
San Diego State
UNLV

How have you not come to the realization this is Wyoming by now? If it takes a school that has no trouble getting 3-4 star recruits 3-4 years to turn a program around how the hell is a 2-3 start recruit school going to do it faster?

5-7 years to be in the top 3 of this conference and that is at a minimum it's likely to take a little longer it's not like we get to pick and choose recruits. There is a very specific recruit that comes to Wyoming and it's sure as poop not loaded with 4-5 star athletes it's loaded with 2-3 star. We have to win and go to Bowl games for 4-5 years to attract the 4 star athlete.
Exactly. It's going to take longer because of the Wyoming perception, BUT it can be done and with the continued investment in football and Bohl in charge it can definitely happen.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
What teams in the MWC are consistently loading up with 3 and 4 star recruits? SJSU had a class out of nowhere this year and BSU. Maybe SDSU.

You guys act like we are in the SEC or the MWC of old. There is no way in hell it should take 5+ years to crawl to the upper third (i.e. T4 or so) in this heap.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

For perspective, this year's recruiting rankings (largely based on stars):

BSU 55
SJSU 58 (again out of nowhere)
SDSU 66
FSU 82
USU 100
WYO is 104

Guess what? Every other team is below us. http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... amRankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now why in the hell is it going to take 5+ years to overcome this?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Boise State recruits 4-Star athletes and high-end 3-Star players. They fight with P5 schools for every recruit they get. SDSU has gotten several good ones. SJSU gets good players, but none of them qualify. Fresno and Hawaii occasionally get some highly-rated guys. Outside of that, the MW schools do not recruit well at all.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:For perspective, this year's recruiting rankings (largely based on stars):

BSU 55
SJSU 58 (again out of nowhere)
SDSU 66
FSU 82
USU 100
WYO is 104

Guess what? Every other team is below us. http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... amRankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now why in the hell is it going to take 5+ years to overcome this?
We are in the top 6 in recruiting, which is how we end up with 5-7 and 7-5 records. Some games will go our way and some wont and if we play everything perfect we end up 6-6.

You want to be in the top 3 of the league we need to be in the top 3 in recruiting.

This is exactly what we are talking about. We have six 3 star recruits and probably twenty 2 star. Boise has twenty-one 3 star and one 4 star and probably five to ten 2 star.

So outside of the diamond in the rough they have a team close to three times stronger just from a recruit prospective.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The overall conference rankings don't show the whole picture anyway. Not all 3-Star recruits are created equal.

For example...

Boise State's LB Tanner Vallejo. Fiesta Bowl MVP as a Sophomore. Multiple Pac-12 offers, even Alabama wanted him. High-end 3-Star recruit, ranked Top 30 at his position coming out of high school.

...but, some random kids who commits to...let's say Hawaii. He has offers from obviously Hawaii, Weber State, and Idaho. Scout.com slaps a 3-Star rating on him based on some 7on7 or late Senior year highlights.

Are Vallejo and UH commit equal? f-word no. But because the rankings can be so general when added up to create a conference rankings, all the system sees is two 3-Star recruits when comparing them.

That's just one example of why I ignore overall conference rankings by the recruiting sites. You're correct in your assessment Wyo2Dal, but even those rankings don't show the true difference in recruiting. It's bigger than fans want to acknowledge.

Look at the individual recruits, their stories and all....and you'll know who gets good recruits and who doesn't.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
We are in the top 6 in recruiting, which is how we end up with 5-7 and 7-5 records. Some games will go our way and some wont and if we play everything perfect we end up 6-6.

You want to be in the top 3 of the league we need to be in the top 3 in recruiting.
So let me get this straight, you think we are 5+ year from competing with USU, FSU, and maybe SJSU?

Umm, well, let's just say, agree to disagree.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: So let me get this straight, you think we are 5+ year from competing with USU, FSU, and maybe SJSU?

SJSU won't get those kids. They give offers to top recruits who won't qualify in the hopes that those kids will give preference to SJSU after they play 1-2 years at a JC. Spartans are a paper tiger.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: So let me get this straight, you think we are 5+ year from competing with USU, FSU, and maybe SJSU?

SJSU won't get those kids. They give offers to top recruits who won't qualify in the hopes that those kids will give preference to SJSU after they play 1-2 years at a JC. Spartans are a paper tiger.
Definitely agree. That leaves us 5+ years to begin competing with USU, FSU, SDSU and BSU.

I'd say yes to BSU; long ways to get there (consistently). The others, I'll have to disagree with my Wyoming brethren on this. By year 3 there our sights should easily be set on T3 or T4 in this conference.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Definitely agree. That leaves us 5+ years to begin competing with USU, FSU, SDSU and BSU.

I'd say yes to BSU; long ways to get there (consistently). The others, I'll have to disagree with my Wyoming brethren on this. By year 3 there our sights should easily be set on T3 or T4 in this conference.
It's an attainable goal. All comes down to recruiting. I really like C.J. Johnson....Justice Murphy a lower extent, and Doddles too. But Bohl needs a class of 21-25 C.J.'s, Justice's, and Dameko's every year to even have a chance at greatness. Just a chance. Remains to be seen if he can do that.

So far, Bohl recruits a few guys that leave me :) , several that I'm like :| , and the rest have me feeling :x . He needs a class full of :) recruits before I begin to believe Bohl will reach his potential in Laramie.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:

So let me get this straight, you think we are 5+ year from competing with USU, FSU, and maybe SJSU?

Top six recruiting teams since 2010 we are 2-14 against, So yes to beat them we need to out recruit them and to out recruit them we need to be in Bowl games every year for the next 5-6 years. I do not even have a glimmer of hope that we will be top 3 in the MWC before 2020.

That is being 100% realistic this program has a poop of work to do but I won't quit cheering for them or watching them.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I'm digging the emoji heavy post
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Definitely agree. That leaves us 5+ years to begin competing with USU, FSU, SDSU and BSU.

It's an attainable goal. All comes down to recruiting. I really like C.J. Johnson....Justice Murphy a lower extent, and Doddles too. But Bohl needs a class of 21-25 C.J.'s, Justice's, and Dameko's every year to even have a chance at greatness. Just a chance. Remains to be seen if he can do that.

So far, Bohl recruits a few guys that leave me :) , several that I'm like :| , and the rest have me feeling :x . He needs a class full of :) recruits before I begin to believe Bohl will reach his potential in Laramie.
Woah, woah, woah it's too early to judge Bohl's "first" class that he cobbled together in 25 days and it's just unfair to say anything about his next class. BTW, most of the players that did not redshirt in Bohl's first class were among the best players last year as true freshmen. That's a great sign in my opinion.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

North Dakota
E Michigan
Washington St
New Mexico
Appalachian St
Air Force
Nevada
Boise State
Utah State
Colorado State
San Diego State
UNLV

We will compete with this. I'm a little more confident in Bohl and his staff with our current players to get them in this and have a chance in each game.
Being the optimist, I remember going 4-8, but remember losing on a end of the game winning FG (could've been 5-7), we lost several starters on D and then some back ups went down as well, two of our main D guys and one back up at Hawaii, we had a huge lead, and when those guys went out, you could see the comeback taking place for Hawaii. (Close to 6-6). I know Hill ran good at CSU, but had Wick not went out with a broken hand in play two of the game, how much better would he have run the ball, cause at that point he was avging well over 100 yards. Could that had been a difference maker? And instead of being down big because we couldn't stop the pass (also do to injuries) would we have made it a game and either a win or loss in the closing seconds in a shootout? Judging by our massive comeback, I think we could've pulled it out, but injury knocked us again. But still thanks to Hill for stepping up big. (Could've been 7-5). We were then decimated by injury at the end of the year, and we had UNM, who had been stepping up big against the like of Boise and a few others, but couldn't finish, and somehow we stay in it and have a great opportunity to win with a last second TD pass to Gentry that was just knocked away. (could've been 8-4). And this was all against one of our toughest SOS we've ever had! With that, and coaching up fresh to step in due to injury, I was very impressed.
This year starts out the same, we have questions everywhere, we have a few injuries but should be healthy by fall, we are a team of misfits. But these guys want to play. And they are striving to be better. That excites me. We are not as bad as we look. But because of all the questions surrounding multiple positions we look grim. But are we? I like Bohl more and more, two reasons, one, he doesn't blow smoke up you ass and focus on fans and what they want to hear like Glenn did, and he doesn't make excuses like DC. He tells it like it is player or play or otherwise. He is no holds barred about it. I think that is starting to rub off on theses players.
And talking of recruiting, Bohl has to have something to sell. All he has right now is 3 champs. What does he have Here? How do you sell WYO? First you've got to succeed. Then you will have more opportunities.

Most of SJS recruits are coming in from one of the best recruiter in the country. I don't remember the assist coaches name but he is top in the country and selling a program. They had an article in SI about him and two other top recruiting coaches. I doubt he stays at SJS for to long I'm not so sure that SJS is a paper tiger. They also had a lot of injuries in key positions last year. They were better than their 3-9 record showed.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

jarhead wrote:Please know Kansas, that my last post was a joke. I like Jamie and think he was an incredible coach! no one ever figured out how to defend his option game.
It's all good. Thought it was funny. Yes, Coach Jamie C was outstanding. He was similar to Bohl, he was also no hold barred, he knew what he wanted on the field and coached it up, it also took him about three years to change the tone of the RS football program. And then, 11-0; 11-0!
I graduated after the second champ and Coach C left after that year. Sadly we had the talent to continue to succeed, but the coaching style drastically changed... Not for the best either. And since, I really don't know if they've ever had another winning season since. It's sad, because that town has a lot of talent that is just squandered.