Depth Chart released

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Saying Bohl gets a free pass for his first class is poop.

He chose to stay in North Dakota and not get started on recruiting. He made a choice, albeit it, a tough choice, but he made the choice to prioritize NDSU over Wyoming.

I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Wyo football (that already happened a long time ago), but it's not doing him any favors.

I remember waiting for class to start talking with Jason Thompson and Thompson said he wished Bohl would leave NDSU asap and get started at Wyo. Now, I have no idea if Bohl waiting so long is contributed to Thompson leaving, but at the end of the day, certain players are more valuable than others, and if it did contribute in Thompson leaving Wyo, Bohl staying to win a 3rd FCS title essentially cost Wyoming a bowl game or two.

You have got to start the "coulda woulda shoulda" convo when talking about it, but Thompson sure does give us a better chance to win last season than Kirk, along with being a returning starter this season would put Wyo a lot closer to the 6 wins as there would have been momentum in the program.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Damn, your obsession with Thompson is borderline stalker worthy.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The no-contact period for recruits starts in December and goes through into January. There was no reason for Bohl to show up early, he couldn't do anything about recruiting anyway.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Saying Bohl gets a free pass for his first class is poop.

He chose to stay in North Dakota and not get started on recruiting. He made a choice, albeit it, a tough choice, but he made the choice to prioritize NDSU over Wyoming.

I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Wyo football (that already happened a long time ago), but it's not doing him any favors.

I remember waiting for class to start talking with Jason Thompson and Thompson said he wished Bohl would leave NDSU asap and get started at Wyo. Now, I have no idea if Bohl waiting so long is contributed to Thompson leaving, but at the end of the day, certain players are more valuable than others, and if it did contribute in Thompson leaving Wyo, Bohl staying to win a 3rd FCS title essentially cost Wyoming a bowl game or two.

You have got to start the "coulda woulda shoulda" convo when talking about it, but Thompson sure does give us a better chance to win last season than Kirk, along with being a returning starter this season would put Wyo a lot closer to the 6 wins as there would have been momentum in the program.
I'm with JRod, I really don't think it mattered. But when he did come here, and I asked this before, what does he have that he can sell to a recruit that they are not getting anywhere else?
You have the potential to start early? I'm sure they almost all hear that.
We have great potential as a program here? Yup, sure.
You have a chance to be great here. I'm sure the other 20 colleges are saying the same thing.
You can get a great education here. And what makes us stand out any different?

So what can he use? Two championships... Or THREE in a row and wants to do the same thing here, and wants you to be a part of the experience.

My guess is three in a row probably pops in the eyes of recruits a little more. Yeah, it's not Alabama or Fla St. But I'm sure if they watch college football they saw NDSU take down KSU. I'm sure they probably tuned in to the FCS championship games.

That is what he has to sell right now, until the wins on the Field take effect.

And I'm sure that the recruiting prowess gets much deeper than that when a recruit begins to show more interest, maybe visits and even gets offered.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:The no-contact period for recruits starts in December and goes through into January. There was no reason for Bohl to show up early, he couldn't do anything about recruiting anyway.
Fair enough.
But he could have at the very least made an effort to reach out to key Wyo players, outside of flying to Oregon to talk to Brett in a last minute effort.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Maybe it is just me (in all seriousness) but I am not sure that recruits eagerly tune into FCS championship games...I don't think that fans of FBS football do that. I certainly didn't / don't. I am an FBS fan - being a Wyoming fan - and could give a hot poop about anything FCS. Hell I don't even know where NDSU is located, nor do I care. They are like a highway fender bender to me. They may get my attention for 5 - 10 seconds, but after that, I won't remember anything about it, nor care.

And I also am not sure any recruits tuned in, watched, or even paid attention to NDSU beating KSU. Maybe a few certainly, and definitely recruits of North Dakota (the university), and probably Kansas (the state). It isn't like Casper Natrona took on the Florida Gators and beat them. Most people probably thought it was a fluke that saw in on the "ticker".

I also am in the camp with BeaverPoke on his timing. He could have been in place at UW with at least 2 weeks left to contact recruits instead of f-word around in North Dakota trying to get another trophy. But it was probably tied to $$, so I can't really say I blame him. Sucked, and still sucks for us UW fans, but after 3 or 4 more years it won't matter anyway.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

People might not have tuned into the FCS championship game, but they know Craig Bohl because of his success. That success will have just as much, if not more of a factor in recruiting than him being in Laramie two weeks earlier than he showed up.

Obviously two camps....those who believe in what Bohl is doing and those who want to poop on everything he is or isn't doing.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

JimmyDimes wrote:People might not have tuned into the FCS championship game, but they know Craig Bohl because of his success. That success will have just as much, if not more of a factor in recruiting than him being in Laramie two weeks earlier than he showed up.
I agree with this. I just don't think that a couple of extra weeks that late into recruiting would have functionally changed our roster. Best case scenario is we land a couple more MWC caliber players, but I don't think that's a given.

We identified Craig Bohl as the ideal candidate to lead the program and we hired him with full knowledge of his availability and previous commitments. I don't know whether or not Bohl is the right man for the job(get back to me in 4-5 years), but if he is than having him on board in the long run is more important than anything that would have happened in those first couple of weeks.

I agree with McPeachy that recruits probably didn't watch the FCS championship game or the NDSU/KSU game (I sure didn't), but Bohl's accomplishments have been highly publicized and make for great PR which assists with recruiting. I think his success at NDSU is a valuable recruiting tool. God knows we don't have any of our own success to entice recruits with (at least not since they were in diapers), so at least we have a coach that can advertise his own accomplishments as a head coach.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I actually admire his staying for the last title. Shows he has commitment to finish what he started.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:I actually admire his staying for the last title. Shows he has commitment to finish what he started.
The guy who became a fan of Wyoming athletics only after Bohl was hired as coach admires what Bohl did.... Total shocker.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:I actually admire his staying for the last title. Shows he has commitment to finish what he started.
The guy who became a fan of Wyoming athletics only after Bohl was hired as coach admires what Bohl did.... Total shocker.
I've been a fan for over 40 years and feel the exact same way. It just shows what type of person Bohl is...he honors his commitments and finishes the job at hand.

This board is great. :D
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:People might not have tuned into the FCS championship game, but they know Craig Bohl because of his success. That success will have just as much, if not more of a factor in recruiting than him being in Laramie two weeks earlier than he showed up.

Obviously two camps....those who believe in what Bohl is doing and those who want to poop on everything he is or isn't doing.
Well...I agree, they will know him from his past success. Just like the recruits at UNLV will know of Tony Sanchez, because of his past success. How either of those translate has yet to be seen. My point is, again, that this is a long term project...5 to 6 years at minimum, to be competitive at the top of this poop conference. Bohl missing out on recruiting in year one, again - in my opinion, pushed that project back some. Maybe a year, maybe not. Maybe it will be the difference of 2 wins the next 2 years. Who knows - but either way, it wasn't helpful!

And I also disagree with your "two camps" sentiment. I think that is a poop label, that is the easy way out in a discussion about the current shape of the program. What about the "camp" that is in wait-and-see mode, the camp that doesn't want to judge at this point in the project? What about the camp that has been let down so many times they don't care either way...they have lost their love for college football, but are still pro-Wyoming? I could go on and on. Personally, just because I am not in line to give Bohl a handy-J, doesn't mean I don't believe he won't get it done. I think he will get it done. In 6 years.
Dear Karma,

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
I've been a fan for over 40 years and feel the exact same way. It just shows what type of person Bohl is...he honors his commitments and finishes the job at hand.
Not saying he's wrong, just that his opinion is completely expected
tweaked
Ranch Hand

After flying out to see Brett, Bohl made a personal visit with Thompson. Fault lies with Thompson and whichever idiot advised him to go to Utah. Certainly not Bohl.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I appreciate Bohl stayed and got his title, They would have won it with or without him but knowing he finished what he started goes a long ways in my book.

Time frame wise no coach could have built a respectable recruiting class during the short amount of time it took for him to use the University plane and fly to see potential QB's that would have more than likely secured more wins.

I won't say I give him a pass for his first recruiting class but I also don't count it as a true recruitment year.

For those of you bitching about him not coming earlier, If it was a reverse position and our coach was going to leave to another school before the Bowl Game you would all be throwing a poop fit quit being hypocrites about his choice.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:I appreciate Bohl stayed and got his title, They would have won it with or without him but knowing he finished what he started goes a long ways in my book.

Time frame wise no coach could have built a respectable recruiting class during the short amount of time it took for him to use the University plane and fly to see potential QB's that would have more than likely secured more wins.

I won't say I give him a pass for his first recruiting class but I also don't count it as a true recruitment year.

For those of you bitching about him not coming earlier, If it was a reverse position and our coach was going to leave to another school before the Bowl Game you would all be throwing a poop fit quit being hypocrites about his choice.
tweaked wrote:After flying out to see Brett, Bohl made a personal visit with Thompson. Fault lies with Thompson and whichever idiot advised him to go to Utah. Certainly not Bohl.
These.
So Bitch Brigade (good name, I think I'll keep if for you guys), stop your constant bitching about Bohl either not coming in immediately or about being the "reason" behind Thompson leaving. Bohl wanted to see what he built at NDSU through the playoffs one last time, during a time he would not have been able to recruit anyways, and he paid Thompson a visit and it was Thompson that pulled the dick move and transferred out of no where.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:Maybe it is just me (in all seriousness) but I am not sure that recruits eagerly tune into FCS championship games...I don't think that fans of FBS football do that. I certainly didn't / don't. I am an FBS fan - being a Wyoming fan - and could give a hot poop about anything FCS. Hell I don't even know where NDSU is located, nor do I care. They are like a highway fender bender to me. They may get my attention for 5 - 10 seconds, but after that, I won't remember anything about it, nor care.

And I also am not sure any recruits tuned in, watched, or even paid attention to NDSU beating KSU. Maybe a few certainly, and definitely recruits of North Dakota (the university), and probably Kansas (the state). It isn't like Casper Natrona took on the Florida Gators and beat them. Most people probably thought it was a fluke that saw in on the "ticker".

I also am in the camp with BeaverPoke on his timing. He could have been in place at UW with at least 2 weeks left to contact recruits instead of f-word around in North Dakota trying to get another trophy. But it was probably tied to $$, so I can't really say I blame him. Sucked, and still sucks for us UW fans, but after 3 or 4 more years it won't matter anyway.

There were over 1.1 million viewers for the FCS champ game in 2013. That is more than the Fight Hunger Bowl that year between Ariz St. and Navy (1.07m) and the Heart of Dallas Bowl- OK. St.
and Purdue (943k viewers).
The semi final also brought in 974k views. Now most of your bowls ranged around 2-4+ mil viewers that year with exception of your bigger bowls. Now call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure there probable isn't 1.1 mil NDSU and SHSU fans out there.

We want to say bowls for WYO help our recruiting, because it gets our name out there. But how many people watched WYO v Fresno st, or Temple?
And if it gets our name out there, why not his?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:So Bitch Brigade (good name, I think I'll keep if for you guys), stop your constant bitching about Bohl either not coming in immediately or about being the "reason" behind Thompson leaving. Bohl wanted to see what he built at NDSU through the playoffs one last time, during a time he would not have been able to recruit anyways, and he paid Thompson a visit and it was Thompson that pulled the dick move and transferred out of no where.
Personally, I could give a poop about Thompson. There was no guarantee he would have succeeded at UW. There is no guarantee on anything in life. Things happen for a reason. We need to let him (and Brett) GO.

You need to quit mis-speaking though. Bohl, had he arrived when hired, would have had at least 2 weeks to recruit before the non-contact period began. Would it have mattered? Maybe, maybe not. I am thinking it would have. But that is probably too logical for some of you to accept.

Again...6 year project. I think it happens. Patience is a virtue.
Dear Karma,

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
This makes no sense. If Bohl did something worth criticizing, I would criticize it. Unfortunately for you, this isn't one of those times.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Interesting that Gentry was really impressed with Allen at qb. Says he has never seen someone throw the ball that hard.