OT Thread to help avoid further banter:

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Name your favorite all-time (ONLY ONE) UW football player. Not just because of skill or accomplishment, but also because of your personal interactions, or relationships with said player.

My favorite?

#75 DL Leon Broussard. He is a hell of a guy, solid athlete - but better person. He played in the mid 70's for Fred Akers, and in the Fiesta Bowl in 1976. Hurt his knee (I think ACL - in 77) and never really made it back to form / athletic expectations. After football at UW, I believe he became a sheriff deputy in Laramie, and also owned and operated a used car lot in Laramie. I think he lives in California now - but not sure, as I haven't had much contact with him the last 10 - 15 years.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Ward Dobbs' mustache.

Luke Ruff. Friends with him, super nice kid, studied his ass off.

Shaun Wick. Tutored him.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:Ward Dobbs' mustache.

Shaun Wick. Tutored him.
Beaver. God damn it. Pick one. Expand on that one. Details, etc. :tickedoff:
Dear Karma,

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Aaron Elling. Only football player I knew while I went to school there. Became friends with a bunch of lander kids.

Ledarion Jones would be my favorite basketball player.
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I'd go with Willie Wright. We triple jumped against each other in high school. Not great friends, but chat whenever we see each other. I can always say I used to be a guy who played in the NFL.

Another would be Dwayne Jones. He was nice enough to give me his notes on a couple of occasions. Super nice guy.

Friends of mine hung out with many of the players. Darren Weher? from Cody, Scott and Steve Addison, etc. One of my high schools buddies played special teams....Vic Mazurie.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:

Shaun Wick. Tutored him.
Lol... my bad.

Luke Ruff.
Recruited by Glenn, DC decided he liked him enough to keep him. Rated hire than ACS according to rivals I think. Was our top recruit that class. Talked DC into burning his redshirt by saying he could block that punt. DC said okay. Then Luke Ruff blocked the punt and we scored a TD and all of Wyoming was freaking out.

Helped me out in school a lil bit as well. All around cool guy and a nice dude. Ended up being 2nd team MW his jr year I think
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:

Shaun Wick. Tutored him.

Avoid the banter...

Mine, John Wendling. Really nice kid, worked his butt off, always had time for everyone on his team. Didn't matter who you were.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Cory & Jim Talich. I know you said only one, but since they're brothers my interactions with them were very similar. They're from the same town I am (Pine Bluffs). They were playing at UW when I was in elementary/jr. high, and would introduce my friends and I to players and get us autographs. I ended up being a colleague with their dad after college. They're a really awesome family, and they've always been fun to be around.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:
Luke Ruff.
Recruited by Glenn, DC decided he liked him enough to keep him. Rated hire than ACS according to rivals I think. Was our top recruit that class. Talked DC into burning his redshirt by saying he could block that punt. DC said okay. Then Luke Ruff blocked the punt and we scored a TD and all of Wyoming was freaking out.

Helped me out in school a lil bit as well. All around cool guy and a nice dude. Ended up being 2nd team MW his jr year I think
Good stuff! I watch that youtube of his block every once-in-a-while. Still gives me goosebumps. That was a blast.

Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Cory & Jim Talich. I know you said only one, but since they're brothers my interactions with them were very similar. They're from the same town I am (Pine Bluffs). They were playing at UW when I was in elementary/jr. high, and would introduce my friends and I to players and get us autographs. I ended up being a colleague with their dad after college. They're a really awesome family, and they've always been fun to be around.
Cory was early 90's (Roach's last year as well).

Jim played in the mid-90's and was on the 10 & 1 team...won't mention the rest. That was as good a group as Wyoming has had since. Can't believe that was 20 years ago.
Dear Karma,

BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

God the WAR looks great sold out with people ALL OVER the place.

I wonder what Dave Christensen was thinking that very moment. At that point he was 1-0 at Wyo, and had just taken the lead on #2 Texas in his 2nd game of his head coaching career. I know everyone wants to say "there's a lot of game/season/time/etc. left" but you know the optimist in every Wyo fan came out for a brief moment right there and was like "holy poop, we are beating TEXAS!".
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Fun fact:

Weston Johnson picked off Colt McCoy in that game.

RIP Wes.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Randy Welniak...the last Wyoming QB to win an outright conference championship. Nuff Said!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:Randy Welniak...the last Wyoming QB to win an outright conference championship. Nuff Said!
Josh Wallwork...last QB to lead a Wyoming team to a ranking in the final polls. It hasn't been all dry ground.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

Chris Pro, coached against him when he was in high school in the state championship[ football game in 2004 I believe. He single handedly beat us (Lander). Yeah he had some help for m Josh Smith and the Camino kid. But we had them on their heels until he decided to take over. Great person and athlete.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Luke Ruff.

Good stuff! I watch that youtube of his block every once-in-a-while. Still gives me goosebumps. That was a blast.

God. I was at that game. That play was so ridiculously badass. I seriously questioned whether I was dying I was so stressed out. That punt block was off the chart.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Say what you will about Glenn, but that Dobbs defense was very good. Haven't seen anything even close to that good since.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Gosh, that play takes me back. I was on the Northwest side where Texas left the field. Mack Brown was one pissed off hombre leaving the field.

TMI....after years of trying to have a kid, my firstborn came nine months after that Sept 11 day in Laramie. :lol: Little more pep to my step that night I guess (although we lost) ha ha. The moral victories as a UW football fan.

Anyhoo, it is hard to pick just one. Marcus Harris, Jovon Bouknight and Brett Smith. I have to give the edge to Bouknight if Smith hadn't have left.

The reason for Smith is that I truly felt that I could go to any game, any where, and have optimism that Smith could keep us in it. Despite Smith's best efforts, DC still managed to water down the career of a Cowboy great.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Ugh
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... /1996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were the days.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

djm19 wrote:Ugh
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... /1996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were the days.
Only ranked team NOT to go bowling that year. Pathetic.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!