Spring scrimmages

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Looking at the stats of today's scrimmage, looks like either the defense cannot stop the run ( whats new ) or the offensive line was kicking some serious ass. Especially against the #2 and #3 defense. The 3rd and 4th string RB'S had a field day.
Offensive stats rushing 46 attempts for 386 yards and 3 Tds. Passing game needs work 15-34 194 yards and 2 Tds. I sure hope the defense can find some cohesiveness and put it together this fall.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, several players are recovering from injuries and more are coming in this Fall. So don't jump off the bridge just yet.

Not saying the defense will be top 10 or anything, just that we are still down several key players.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:Well, several players are recovering from injuries and more are coming in this Fall. So don't jump off the bridge just yet.

Not saying the defense will be top 10 or anything, just that we are still down several key players.
You're right, plus I heard Yarbrough didn't play much. I'm not worried about the secondary as much as i was, but that damn linebacker spot just looks so bleak at the moment. The lack of experience and actual bodies at that position is lean as poop. Hopefully they get their poop squared away and put together a decent core of LB's.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

I have a feeling our running game is going to give most of the teams in the MWC a lot of trouble this year. How is the special teams looking?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

The LB position looks thin now but there is a few number of them coming in as true freshman. Not all will play but they will help increase numbers at the position. I also think that with the amount of experience at the dline position, it should be fairly solid which will in turn each up blockers, keep linebackers free, and allow them to make more plays.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote:The LB position looks thin now but there is a few number of them coming in as true freshman. Not all will play but they will help increase numbers at the position. I also think that with the amount of experience at the dline position, it should be fairly solid which will in turn each up blockers, keep linebackers free, and allow them to make more plays.
Exactly my thoughts. I bet some true freshmen see time at LB this season. I bet Irving and Momoh will both play.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about RB this season, or the foreseeable future. With Wick and Hill leading the way, and some very good players behind them, yeah.

Wacha is still a good tackler, but hard to gauge the defense as a whole based on numbers alone with so many either injured, not here, or just getting into it. Linebacker will be key though, in more ways than one.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:Yeah, I don't think we need to worry about RB this season, or the foreseeable future. With Wick and Hill leading the way, and some very good players behind them, yeah.
I think it's a lock right now that Overstreet redshirts
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Such is the nature of scrimmages. One or two people doing something great means something supposedly bad happened. Which isn't necessarily the reality of the situation.

I will say this though: look at the top teams around the country. A large majority that go full-contact see their defenses dominate the offense. There is definitely some cause for concern that the defense is getting mowed down. Of course some guys are out, but it's clear this is not a deep unit. Again, this D is a few injuries away from disaster, like last season. It's the inconvenient truth.

I hope Coffman is ready to play catch up.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo