BYU Bowl tie in

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

How do you guys feel about what was announced today?
BYU Announces Bowl Agreements with Las Vegas & Hawai’i Bowls

PROVO, Utah (April 30, 2015) — Brigham Young University has accepted an invitation to play in either the Hawai’i Bowl or the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl following the 2015 football season. The Cougars will play in the other bowl game at the conclusion of the 2019 season. Both invitations hinge upon BYU being bowl eligible and not selected to participate in the College Football Playoff.

“We are grateful for the opportunity to participate in these two bowl games,” said BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe. “We look forward to returning to Las Vegas and Honolulu. We are fortunate to have a large fan base in both areas and it will be great to renew the many longtime friendships we’ve enjoyed in these two cities.”
The Cougars are certainly no stranger to the Las Vegas Bowl. From 2005 to 2009 BYU participated in five-straight Vegas bowls, going 3-2 versus Pac-12 opponents Cal, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona and Oregon State. BYU has also played one bowl game in Honolulu, losing a closely contested 23-20 battle to Kansas in the 1992 Aloha Bowl.
Since its first appearance in the 1974 Fiesta Bowl, BYU has played in 33 bowl games (13-19-1) over the past 41 seasons, including 10 straight (6-4) under current head coach Bronco Mendenhall. The Cougars are one of only 12 programs to earn a bowl invitation each of the past 10 seasons. Of those teams, only Florida State (7-3) has won more bowl games than BYU. Through the years, the Cougars have played in 17 different bowl games in 10 different states.
The 2015 bowl selection, including date, opponent, kickoff time and telecast plans will be announced at a later date. The Hawai’i Bowl and the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl are both owned and operated by ESPN Events.
I feel like they are getting the best of being in the MWC and in return the MWC is getting dick. Whoever decided to make this move or even allow it pisses me off.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Our bowl tie-ins are hot garbage as it is. I say let the borg have the poop Hawaii bowl so we can upgrade.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:I feel like they are getting the best of being in the MWC and in return the MWC is getting dick. Whoever decided to make this move or even allow it pisses me off.
Agreed.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Our bowl tie-ins are hot garbage as it is. I say let the borg have the poop Hawaii bowl so we can upgrade.
It's not about how bad the Bowls are it's about sharing them with someone that gets more national exposure than anyone else in our conference. We're basically telling someone out of conference you are more deserving and we get jack and poop out of it.

If our only Bowl tie in was the poop Potato Bowl I still wouldn't want to let BYU have it.
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Their situation isn't that great. Whether they get 6 wins or 12, they'll be playing in the same bowl game. We at least have the opportunity (although it's unlikely) to play on new years
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:Their situation isn't that great. Whether they get 6 wins or 12, they'll be playing in the same bowl game. We at least have the opportunity (although it's unlikely) to play on new years
They put themselves in that situation, They made their bed and they need to sleep in that mess.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

What is our replacement for the Vegas Bowl that year (aside from the NY6 Bowl :cool: )?

At very least, that should free us up to shop our champ around every year. If the Vegas bowl isn't obligated to take our champ, then we shouldn't be obligated to make our champ available.

byu is just another G5 member only without a conference. Personally, I would prefer a scheduling blackout by the MWC (i.e. agreement to not schedule byu in anything). Scheduling byu doesn't do anything positive for the conference and they are a regional competitor. No point in helping them in any way.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

The way I originally understood it, is that bWHYu would be stuck going to Hawaii until 2019, and at that time, could switch to playing the MWC #1 (if not in a NY6 bowl) in Las Vegas.

At the same time, they lose all other bowl options...and are "forced" west, primarily because their fanbase doesn't travel like it used to, but also because of their antics in the Miami bowl last year. In other words, nobody outside the west (Hawaii and Vegas) were willing to contract with them.

Now...why Vegas? Huge MOMO population there - they will sell tickets. Why Hawaii? Nobody wants that sum bitch.

Lastly - I think it would be awesome for a MWC team to kick their ass in a bowl game every year.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

The way I read that is that byu will go to either Vegas or Hawaii after this upcoming season. Then after 2019, they will go to the other bowl game. The way it is worded doesn't indicate any tie-in for 2016, 17, or 18; they can go where they are invited.
billings
Ranch Hand

MWC will play in the Armed forces bowl against the Big 10 when we give up the Vegas or Hawaii to BYU. It is part of a rotation of bowls to see new opponents now and then.

I actually think it is a good thing to rotate which P5 our number one plays now and then.

here is a write up

http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/sports/m- ... 13aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:How do you guys feel about what was announced today?
BYU Announces Bowl Agreements with Las Vegas & Hawai’i Bowls

PROVO, Utah (April 30, 2015) — Brigham Young University has accepted an invitation to play in either the Hawai’i Bowl or the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl following the 2015 football season. The Cougars will play in the other bowl game at the conclusion of the 2019 season. Both invitations hinge upon BYU being bowl eligible and not selected to participate in the College Football Playoff.

“We are grateful for the opportunity to participate in these two bowl games,” said BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe. “We look forward to returning to Las Vegas and Honolulu. We are fortunate to have a large fan base in both areas and it will be great to renew the many longtime friendships we’ve enjoyed in these two cities.”
The Cougars are certainly no stranger to the Las Vegas Bowl. From 2005 to 2009 BYU participated in five-straight Vegas bowls, going 3-2 versus Pac-12 opponents Cal, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona and Oregon State. BYU has also played one bowl game in Honolulu, losing a closely contested 23-20 battle to Kansas in the 1992 Aloha Bowl.
Since its first appearance in the 1974 Fiesta Bowl, BYU has played in 33 bowl games (13-19-1) over the past 41 seasons, including 10 straight (6-4) under current head coach Bronco Mendenhall. The Cougars are one of only 12 programs to earn a bowl invitation each of the past 10 seasons. Of those teams, only Florida State (7-3) has won more bowl games than BYU. Through the years, the Cougars have played in 17 different bowl games in 10 different states.
The 2015 bowl selection, including date, opponent, kickoff time and telecast plans will be announced at a later date. The Hawai’i Bowl and the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl are both owned and operated by ESPN Events.
I feel like they are getting the best of being in the MWC and in return the MWC is getting dick. Whoever decided to make this move or even allow it pisses me off.
Frankly I see this as a swipe to BYU. This has nothing to do with the MWC really, as it is ESPN that controls those bowls and they were looking for a place to put BYU. BYU wants in the worst way to be in a P5 conference and in a New Years Day Bowl, and with this agreement they are admitting that they are far from going to a P5 conference and even farther from appearing in a New Years Day Bowl. I know that they have an out, if they get an invite to a bigger bowl. My take is that BYU is so far from being sure that they will get any better invite that they are accepting this. They have to qualify for the Las Vegas Bowl, and so their first bowl would be the Honolulu Bowl, which pays out less and has less press coverage than the Las Vegas Bowl. The main thing is that whomever plays BYU from the MWC needs to stomp them into the ground, lets hope that it is the Pokes!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Frankly I see this as a swipe to BYU. This has nothing to do with the MWC really, as it is ESPN that controls those bowls and they were looking for a place to put BYU. BYU wants in the worst way to be in a P5 conference and in a New Years Day Bowl, and with this agreement they are admitting that they are far from going to a P5 conference and even farther from appearing in a New Years Day Bowl. I know that they have an out, if they get an invite to a bigger bowl. My take is that BYU is so far from being sure that they will get any better invite that they are accepting this. They have to qualify for the Las Vegas Bowl, and so their first bowl would be the Honolulu Bowl, which pays out less and has less press coverage than the Las Vegas Bowl. The main thing is that whomever plays BYU from the MWC needs to stomp them into the ground, lets hope that it is the Pokes!!!!!!!!
I agree with everything and think it is hysterical that their delusions of importance is getting tossed in their face. Nobody wants to put up with them and whatever carryover "prestige" from the old days that they had is eroding quickly. Nothing more than a G5 team. Reality is slapping them upside the head and I love it.

The only thing I disagree with is playing them. It does us no good to schedule them. None. It helps them to do so. I wish the MWC would freeze them out totally.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

oh great, that's all we need