MW looking at changing championship game format

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

It's a good thing for keeping big money on the conference and it's looking out for the conference.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I wouldn't change much. I would decide the title between the two highest rated teams.

It makes an AFA/Wyo, CSU/Wyo, or Boise/ Wyo title game possible. Yes please.

I want this.

The kicker would be to drop SJSU and Hawaii and go back to a ten team league. We would have one division. The title goes to the championship, game winner between the two highest rated teams.

Dropping those two would return basketball to a round robin format. It would drop two 330 RPI games off the schedule.

Best of all, we wouldn't have to cut them a check for the next 50 years when no one wants them in the MWC.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Buy your way in.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

guess i really don't get the just of this, but we'll wait and see
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote:guess i really don't get the just of this, but we'll wait and see
Think of it this way;
What helps a Top 20 Boise have a better chance at getting the Big Bowl Bid?
A. A 6-6 Fresno team that was destroyed at home by a 4-8 team
B. A 10 win Sheep or Air Force team that has some decent wins
C. Her-der, I dunno, toast?

Hint: You get 2 guesses and one of them doesn't count.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Didn't we, a 4-8 team, absolutely crush them at home though?
Yes we did. Not sure I understand the point. Last year the west was really down and FSU (who we crushed) won the division and played in the championship game.
That was one year. and in the past FSU SDSU have shown they are solid teams that can win games. Now if there was a history of the MTN division dominating the West that would be one thing but at this point it is just a knee jerk reaction based on one bad year from the west. At this point I see no reason to abandon a simple 2 division 12 team leasgue where if you win your division you play in the championship game(like almost every conference) for a more complicated system(what metric do we use to determine best teams-conference record, overall record, ranking, computer rankings?) that may or may not help our champion get into the NY6 game.

Now if we got rid of SJSU and/or Hawaii, then I would be all for a championship games with the two best teams.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

TSpoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote: Didn't we, a 4-8 team, absolutely crush them at home though?
Yes we did. Not sure I understand the point. Last year the west was really down and FSU (who we crushed) won the division and played in the championship game.
That was one year. and in the past FSU SDSU have shown they are solid teams that can win games. Now if there was a history of the MTN division dominating the West that would be one thing but at this point it is just a knee jerk reaction based on one bad year from the west. At this point I see no reason to abandon a simple 2 division 12 team leasgue where if you win your division you play in the championship game(like almost every conference) for a more complicated system(what metric do we use to determine best teams-conference record, overall record, ranking, computer rankings?) that may or may not help our champion get into the NY6 game.

Now if we got rid of SJSU and/or Hawaii, then I would be all for a championship games with the two best teams.
Nothing is being completely abandoned it's just giving the conference flexibility.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

TSpoke wrote: Now if there was a history of the MTN division dominating the West that would be one thing but at this point it is just a knee jerk reaction based on one bad year from the west. At this point I see no reason to abandon a simple 2 division 12 team leasgue where if you win your division you play in the championship game(like almost every conference) for a more complicated system(what metric do we use to determine best teams-conference record, overall record, ranking, computer rankings?) that may or may not help our champion get into the NY6 game.
I don't think it is knee jerk or complicated. It could just pit the two highest BCS ranked teams. We made something like 10 mill more as a conference because BSU got the NY6 invite.

I'm actually not torn anymore and fully support the idea. Look at this way, if we put the 2 highest ranked teams against each other, then 100% of the time we will maximize our BCS standings for the winner.

Division champs will only do that on occasion. I don't see a downside to having the highest ranked teams play.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
TSpoke wrote: Now if there was a history of the MTN division dominating the West that would be one thing but at this point it is just a knee jerk reaction based on one bad year from the west. At this point I see no reason to abandon a simple 2 division 12 team leasgue where if you win your division you play in the championship game(like almost every conference) for a more complicated system(what metric do we use to determine best teams-conference record, overall record, ranking, computer rankings?) that may or may not help our champion get into the NY6 game.
I don't think it is knee jerk or complicated. It could just pit the two highest BCS ranked teams. We made something like 10 mill more as a conference because BSU got the NY6 invite.

I'm actually not torn anymore and fully support the idea. Look at this way, if we put the 2 highest ranked teams against each other, then 100% of the time we will maximize our BCS standings for the winner.

Division champs will only do that on occasion. I don't see a downside to having the highest ranked teams play.
I understand completely why they are considering it.
There is no BCS anymore just the playoff commitee and they only rank the top 25 and I am not sure how compfortable I am having that group deciding who plays in our conference title game. If we used the rankings we could easily have a scenario where a team finished 1st or 2nd in the conference standings but because of OOC is ranked lower than another team and gets left out of the championship game. That doesn't sound right.
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Look at this way, if we put the 2 highest ranked teams against each other, then 100% of the time we will maximize our BCS standings for the winner.

This isn't quite right. Last year if CSU or AF got to play BSU instead of FSU there would have been a greater chance for an upset. and if AF or CSU won they would have gotten a boost but there is no guarantee it would have been enough to pass Marshall, who was ranked ahead of them both. I would have liked their chances but no guarantee.

I guess we can disagree on this plan no big deal. I don't see them making this change at least until the current set up actually ends up hurting us.

I am comfortable that the MW will get the NY6 game the majority of years without changing the system so I don't see the need for it. I see us getting it at least 3 out of every 4 years as is.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: I understand completely why they are considering it.
There is no BCS anymore just the playoff commitee and they only rank the top 25 and I am not sure how compfortable I am having that group deciding who plays in our conference title game. If we used the rankings we could easily have a scenario where a team finished 1st or 2nd in the conference standings but because of OOC is ranked lower than another team and gets left out of the championship game. That doesn't sound right.
Perhaps, but even in that event, it would still be maximizing rankings because our two highest ranked teams would be playing.
This isn't quite right. Last year if CSU or AF got to play BSU instead of FSU there would have been a greater chance for an upset. and if AF or CSU won they would have gotten a boost but there is no guarantee it would have been enough to pass Marshall, who was ranked ahead of them both. I would have liked their chances but no guarantee.
That is only if CSU or AF would have won. If BSU was in a neck and neck race with someone else, the win against AF or CSU would help more than a win against FSU. When you put the two highest ranked teams together, you are giving your highest ranked team the best chance to increase their position every time. IMO, that is the most important. Ensure the framework of the conference provides the best opportunity for teams to succeed. I care much less about some random alignment of conference teams.

If our goal is ensure our top ranked team doesn't lose, then we should play the highest and lowest ranked teams because CCG really are that arbitrary.

In the end, I agree that we will agree to disagree :lol:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Another point to consider with all this is, what's to say that other conferences won't start doing the same thing? I could see some of the SEC teams pushing for this as it seems every other year they have one decent division and the other is ridiculously stacked. If I was the 2nd best team in the conference I wouldn't want to lose a shot at #1 just because #1 is in my division. Or in the Big Ten, I'm sure they would LOVE to have a Ohio State-Michigan B1G championship game if those teams were 1 and 2; obviously that couldn't happen under the current structure.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
TSpoke wrote: I understand completely why they are considering it.
Perhaps, but even in that event, it would still be maximizing rankings because our two highest ranked teams would be playing.
That is only if CSU or AF would have won. If BSU was in a neck and neck race with someone else, the win against AF or CSU would help more than a win against FSU. When you put the two highest ranked teams together, you are giving your highest ranked team the best chance to increase their position every time. IMO, that is the most important. Ensure the framework of the conference provides the best opportunity for teams to succeed. I care much less about some random alignment of conference teams.

If our goal is ensure our top ranked team doesn't lose, then we should play the highest and lowest ranked teams because CCG really are that arbitrary.

In the end, I agree that we will agree to disagree :lol:

I agree...Haha. if you put your #1 vs #2 it will increase your chances. I was just pointing out scenarios where it could hurt the same as scenarios were pointed out where it would help. the fact of the matter is in the one year we had a game playing a 6-6 team did not hurt BSU. I was not a fan of FSU in the game cuz that was lame but it is the way it is. And that is the whole west divisions fault it happened.
My thought is that is a outlier and most likely the top of each division will be a good team either the 2nd 3rd or at worst 4th best team in the conference. So while 1st place in the mtn may be 11-1 and the second place team in the Mtn is 10-2 the #1 in the west would be 9-3 so maybe not as good as 10-2 but a nice win for the champ. very rarely will the champ be as bad as FSU was last year.
I just really like the Mtn Division and competeing directly against CSU, AF, NM and to a lesser extent USU and BSU. I just think the risk of us hurting ourselves with a bad matchup in the championship game is small and not worth destroying the setup of the league with good regional rivalries(cuz if we went to this we would have no reason to keep divisions). Isthere a chance we could get screwed in some year?sure but I don't think it is a great chance.

BTW shouldn't we be calling each other names by now because we don't agree with each other? :P
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

You will have a hard time convincing me that the turd sniffers in the west division are as deep as the mountain division. It would help our division more often than it would hurt us.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:You will have a hard time convincing me that the turd sniffers in the west division are as deep as the mountain division. It would help our division more often than it would hurt us.
Neither division has established dominance. In 2013, the West Division was the better of the two. We'll see if the switching trend continues.
Landiegopoke
Ranch Hand

The thing that really jumps out to me is that with deregulation the Big 12 can have a conference championship game without having to bring in the f-word Zoobies
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Landiegopoke wrote:The thing that really jumps out to me is that with deregulation the Big 12 can have a conference championship game without having to bring in the f-word Zoobies
Yeah. Being in a conference with both Texas and BYU would drive ANYBODY crazy!!! Probably why they wanted to deregulate the 12 team division rule.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
BTW shouldn't we be calling each other names by now because we don't agree with each other? :P
:lol: I thought something was missing.

Seriously though, I can definitely see your point of view as well. I had some of the same feelings when I first read about it. I completely understand that line of thought. I have a different opinion but that doesn't make me right.

We could do as I propose and it might really suck...who knows.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
Landiegopoke wrote:The thing that really jumps out to me is that with deregulation the Big 12 can have a conference championship game without having to bring in the f-word Zoobies
Yeah. Being in a conference with both Texas and BYU would drive ANYBODY crazy!!! Probably why they wanted to deregulate the 12 team division rule.
No doubt. I spend time down in Big 12 country and I really don't get the feel that byu to the Big 12 is that big of deal to them. I think it is more the zoobs self proclamation and a little bit of media driven urban legend.

My feel, and I could be wrong, is that the Big 12 isn't that interested in byu, regardless.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Lots of talk over something that is unlikely to happen...
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/596022490297602048 http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ntain-west" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;