MW looking at changing championship game format

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ms-to-meet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This might be better for the conference as a whole, I think.
ImageImageImageImage
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:This might be better for the conference as a whole, I think.
Especially for the Mountain division teams, I'd think
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Huh. I don't know about this. Just sounds like an added opportunity to actually hurt the conference's chances at an NY6 access bowl berth. A slight increase in SOS (if any impact at all) at the risk of having the #1 team lose in the title game? Logic isn't sound here.

Thompson didn't sound convinced anyway. CBS kind of ran with that idea...didn't really seem like something imminent.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I get why they are think about doing this but I don't like it. Keep the divisions and the top of each division goes to the game. hte chances of this screwing up our bowl game isn't large and if it does then oh well. The team didn't deserve it if they lose to a bad team in the championship game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I think it boils down to $$$ (again).

The Hair knows if he has 2 teams playing in the championship game with 0, 1, or maybe 2 losses, it will be better attended and can collect a much higher gate and TV rating.

6 & 6 or so - does nothing for the MWC (and The Hair's resume).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This sounds to me like byu (er, BSU) wanting a little more preferential treatment (protection).
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Win your division and you can play in the championship. What's the point of having divisions if you're going to pull this stupid crap?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYO1016 wrote:This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Win your division and you can play in the championship. What's the point of having divisions if you're going to pull this stupid crap?
Blame the Big XII and their bitching about being left out of the CF Playoff. They don't want to add 2 more schools to go back to divisions because it'll mean less money per school.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Wyokie wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Win your division and you can play in the championship. What's the point of having divisions if you're going to pull this stupid crap?
Blame the Big XII and their bitching about being left out of the CF Playoff. They don't want to add 2 more schools to go back to divisions because it'll mean less money per school.
Maybe the Big XII and B1G should fix their names so they actually reflect the number of schools in the conference. Seriously. There wasn't a problem going from the Big 8 to the Big 12. Why is it a problem now?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Copyright issues I believe.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I'm actually torn on this. I do agree that it seems silly to keep 2 divisions if we ever did go to this.

With as weak as the MWC is, I think most years will put someone good against someone bad (if we remain with 2 divisions).

I would (if going to two highest ranked teams) eliminate divisions and go back to a "pod-like" system. Hear me out before crucifying. I would do 4 pods of 3:
1) AF, WYO, CSU,
2) USU, UNM, BSU
3) FSU, SJSU, SDSU
4) NV, UNLV, HI (HI is hard to place but have a good following in Vegas)

You will play everyone in your pod. That gives you 2 conference games. You then play 2 other pods (rotates) for a total of 8 conference games. 4 OOC games and you are set.

Highest ranked 2 teams square off in championship. Outside of AF and CSU, I don't really care who we play in conference and I think it would make for a better championship game.

I do think there is some validity to reformatting the CCG due the extreme weakness of the MWC. Sucks when you get a 6-6 vs an undefeated or 1 loss team.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Copyright issues I believe.
Bingo.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

It 100% boils down to money, think back to Nevada knocking of Boise state. What this does is ensures never again will the #19 team have a chance to knock off the #4 team. It's all about securing a NY6 or in the future a possible Playoff spot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303302440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That game cost the WAC Millions of dollars because Boise lost out on a shot at a possible NC Title game and between the two teams Boise went to the Vegas Bowl and Nevada went to the Hunger Bowl.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

They have division because under current NCAA rules, in order to have a conference championship game, you had to have 2 divisions of at least 6 teams. However, with deregulation set to occur, you won't need that anymore. In which case, I could see the MWC dropping divisions and just playing a normal rotational schedule with "every year guaranteed" games (I.E. Wyo-CSU) thrown in the mix.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:It 100% boils down to money, think back to Nevada knocking of Boise state. What this does is ensures never again will the #19 team have a chance to knock off the #4 team. It's all about securing a NY6 or in the future a possible Playoff spot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303302440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That game cost the WAC Millions of dollars because Boise lost out on a shot at a possible NC Title game and between the two teams Boise went to the Vegas Bowl and Nevada went to the Hunger Bowl.
Wouldn't it actually increase the chance of something like #19 knocking off #4? it would pit the 2 best teams against each other in the Championship so if 2 teams from the same division were #4 and #19 and the top team in the other division was 6-6(like FSU last year) the 19 and 4 teams would play instead of 4 vs the 6-6 team. Now I guess the argument is that even if the #19 team won they would still probably get into the NY6 games.
(I do understand htey would probably drop divisions if this happened just using the divisions to show the differences with the current setup)

I like the division setup. It is fun to compete directly against your closest teams to try to win the division while also competeing against the entire conference. Scheduling makes sense with divisions and would be more complicated without divisions.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I see it this way...

While the top ranked team will most likely win against a 6 or 7 win west division champ, if the west champ wins the conference championship then the mountain west will have no representative in the NY6 bowls.

However, if the top team plays the second best team regardless of division, the top team is more likely to lose but the conference winner is more likely to go to the NY6 bowl.

If Boise lost last year, there would've been no mountain west representative in the NY6 bowls. But if Boise and Colorado state met in the championship, there's a chance the mountain west would have still received a NY6 bid regardless of the winner of the conference championship game.

Basically, the likelihood of the top team losing is increased. But on the other hand, the chances of guaranteeing a NY6 representative is also increased.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

cali2wyo wrote: Basically, the likelihood of the top team losing is increased. But on the other hand, the chances of guaranteeing a NY6 representative is also increased.
Agreed and that is what I like about it. We are competing with the AAC (old Big East and whatever the hell it is called now) and the rest of the G5 conferences for the NY6 slot. Highest ranked vs. 2nd highest ranked helps secure that spot.

If BSU (for example) is competing with Cinci for the NY6 spot and they are closely ranked, then a CCG against another highly ranked team (hopefully) will push BSU in. It also creates a little more interest in our CCG nationally vs. playing a 6-6 team that can only hurt but not help our highest ranked team.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

This shouldn't affect us...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Seems like a knee jerk reaction to one year having a 6-6 team win a division. In most years the winner of each division will be a decent team. There are a lot of what-ifs that this could help our conference but there are just as many that it doesn't help or hurts. Seems like a solution to something that isn't really a problem(at this point). Just seems silly to me to have a championship without divisions to draw them from.

Again, I understand why they are considering this but I'm not a fan of it.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

TSpoke wrote:Seems like a knee jerk reaction to one year having a 6-6 team win a division. In most years the winner of each division will be a decent team. There are a lot of what-ifs that this could help our conference but there are just as many that it doesn't help or hurts. Seems like a solution to something that isn't really a problem(at this point). Just seems silly to me to have a championship without divisions to draw them from.

Again, I understand why they are considering this but I'm not a fan of it.
Didn't we, a 4-8 team, absolutely crush them at home though?