Football Brainiacs: Why Wyoming Targets Oklahoma

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/TheFbBrainiacs/stat ... 4683127808 https://twitter.com/TheFbBrainiacs/stat ... 9684543488 TFB: What is that Wyoming looks for in the mental make up of a player?

MB: Toughness. Coach Bohl wants to recruit young men that have demonstrated by their play, and by their coaches recommendations, that they are tough. Everything we do is based on being mentally and physically tough. We love multi-sport guys. We love players who run track, play basketball, or wrestle in the winter. Those young men are high achievers by nature, and that is what we want to bring into our existing roster.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/why-wy ... igh-school
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The state of Oklahoma is really a great recruiting opportunity for our program.

Think about it: If a player isn't Big XII-worthy what are his options nearby? In Oklahoma, there's just Tulsa. In Texas, you're looking at 4 C-USA schools, 2 AACs and a Sun Belt. They mostly stay southh, but even if they recruit OK, I think we can hold our own against them for prospects. Other than that, you're basically looking at greenies and Louisiana.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:The state of Oklahoma is really a great recruiting opportunity for our program.

Think about it: If a player isn't Big XII-worthy what are his options nearby? In Oklahoma, there's just Tulsa. In Texas, you're looking at 4 C-USA schools, 2 AACs and a Sun Belt. They mostly stay southh, but even if they recruit OK, I think we can hold our own against them for prospects. Other than that, you're basically looking at greenies and Louisiana.
It'll be interesting to see what type of news comes out of Oklahoma after the UW coaching staff finishes with the camp down there. Smart move by Bohl to mine that state and get the WYO name front and center. Bath is certainly earning his keep.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Have we ever had any successful Oklahoma players? I'm not doubting their toughness, but what separates Oklahoma players from some of the Texas recruits we've had? While we have had some very good Texas players, we've also had a lot of attrition from the Texas recruits. Interesting to see the Staff hitting Oklahoma hard.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

mwc fan wrote:Have we ever had any successful Oklahoma players? I'm not doubting their toughness, but what separates Oklahoma players from some of the Texas recruits we've had? While we have had some very good Texas players, we've also had a lot of attrition from the Texas recruits. Interesting to see the Staff hitting Oklahoma hard.
Just off the top of my head (there are many more):

Chandler Garrett's coach, Jeremy Dombek (QB), and Jeremy Gilstrap (TE) were both from OK. They were both contributors in Wyoming's 1994 near upset of the soon-to-be national champion Cornhuskers.

One of the comments from the article:

"But knowing how Bohl played and coached at Nebraska during the Osborne era and knowing how Tom recruited Oklahoma, I'm sure that will only intensify Wyoming's pursuit of Oklahoma talent with Bohl at the helm."

Shamiel Gary (SS) was from Tulsa and was a 1st-team freshman All-American by the Football Writers before transferring to OSU.

Sonny Puletasi
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

I always thought it was because Oklahoma is a poop, so going to Wyoming for 5 years was like a vacation in paradise. Good to know it was about the toughness thing instead. Yep.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

POKE FAN wrote:
mwc fan wrote:Have we ever had any successful Oklahoma players? I'm not doubting their toughness, but what separates Oklahoma players from some of the Texas recruits we've had? While we have had some very good Texas players, we've also had a lot of attrition from the Texas recruits. Interesting to see the Staff hitting Oklahoma hard.

Chandler Garrett's coach, Jeremy Dombek (QB), and Jeremy Gilstrap (TE) were both from OK. They were both contributors in Wyoming's 1994 near upset of the soon-to-be national champion Cornhuskers.
I'm best friends with Gilstrap. He scored both a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion against Nebraska that day which was his birthday as well.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote:I always thought it was because Oklahoma is a poop, so going to Wyoming for 5 years was like a vacation in paradise. Good to know it was about the toughness thing instead. Yep.

IT IS!!! Only good thing...the women are better looking here. BTW, the beer here is 3.2% poop!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I always thought it was because Oklahoma is a poop, so going to Wyoming for 5 years was like a vacation in paradise. Good to know it was about the toughness thing instead. Yep.

IT IS!!! Only good thing...the women are better looking here. BTW, the beer here is 3.2% poop!!!!
Only because there are more of them. Wyoming does have some talent...but sometimes that talent doesn't come out until it is summer.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:

I'm best friends with Gilstrap. He scored both a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion against Nebraska that day which was his birthday as well.
What is Gilstrap doing nowadays?

And are you still hiding the Paniolo Trophy under your bed?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

JimmyDimes wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Only because there are more of them. Wyoming does have some talent...but sometimes that talent doesn't come out until it is summer.
True. And Oklahoma has LONGER summers. Like 5-6 months of summer whereas you only get, what, barely 2 months in Wyoming.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

POKE FAN wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:

What is Gilstrap doing nowadays?
Vice-President of a engineering company based in Texas. Married with 2 kids. One is in high school playing football. They live in McKinney, Texas (Yep...that McKinney where a pool party that had several kids getting arrested that went viral).
And are you still hiding the Paniolo Trophy under your bed?
I wish. LOL Still pisses me off that the Man Who Never Smiles and can't coach worth a poop (Chow) beat Bohl and the Pokes last year!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

:lol: :lol: My thoughts exactly. That's why I enjoy getting big recruits from OK, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas...its' not like they are leaving some awesome area to come to Wyo (no offense to those of you from those areas, but you know), the change in scenery is definitely an improvement.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
:lol: :lol: My thoughts exactly. That's why I enjoy getting big recruits from OK, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas...its' not like they are leaving some awesome area to come to Wyo (no offense to those of you from those areas, but you know), the change in scenery is definitely an improvement.
Hey hey hey, leave us out of this!

Seriously though, I need some mountains in my life!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

joshvanklomp wrote:Seriously though, I need some mountains in my life!
I need them badly. Oklahoma has mountains but all they are are just glorified hills.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Hey hey hey, leave us out of this!

Seriously though, I need some mountains in my life!
Hard to live without them.

ps. I was born in Austin. So am a Minnesotan by birth, but a Wyomingite by choice.....even though I've lived in Denver for almost 19 years.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:Seriously though, I need some mountains in my life!
I need them badly. Oklahoma has mountains but all they are are just glorified hills.
Exactly!

I was out in Montana on vacation a month ago, wish I could've stayed.