Another Wyoming walk-on

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyadventurer25
Buckaroo

Josh Flanigan, former Natrona County RB, is walking on at UW. http://trib.com/sports/high-school/foot ... 91b49.html
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Hopefully two years off won't hurt his chances of making the team or contributing.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

MrTitleist wrote:Hopefully two years off won't hurt his chances of making the team or contributing.
Just have to say this...

He was on a momo mission - so he will come back stronger, bigger, faster, healthier, more mature, etc. :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Hopefully two years off won't hurt his chances of making the team or contributing.
Just have to say this...

He was on a momo mission - so he will come back stronger, bigger, faster, healthier, more mature, etc. :lol:
He went to Mexico city so he'll come back atrophied and emaciated, but, yes a lot more mature.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Just have to say this...

He went to Mexico city so he'll come back atrophied and emaciated, but, yes a lot more mature.
Actually, Mexico City is quite nice, and one of the most wealthy areas in the world, with a population of over 20 million. So mature certainly, but not emaciated and atrophied! LOL!

**My initial comment was more of a blast on bWHYu than anything (FYI)
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Just have to say this...

Actually, Mexico City is quite nice, and one of the most wealthy areas in the world, with a population of over 20 million. So mature certainly, but not emaciated and atrophied! LOL!

Gotcha. Down with BYU!
Hayduke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Just have to say this...

With a similar altitude to that of Laramie. Hope he did some cardio workouts there!

I've been to D.F. several times. There's a lot of interesting stuff to see and many parts of it are very nice. I'd live in San Angel if I could. Great place!
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I went to California on my "momo" mission--- I came back, fatter, slower, (not whiter), but definitely more mature...(kind of)....ok, not really.

I am actually glad to see some of these guys finally coming to UW and not BYU or USU. Seems like all the lds kids come home and go there. I never think some older fellas on the team are a bad thing.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:I went to California on my "momo" mission--- I came back, fatter, slower, (not whiter), but definitely more mature...(kind of)....ok, not really.

I am actually glad to see some of these guys finally coming to UW and not BYU or USU. Seems like all the lds kids come home and go there. I never think some older fellas on the team are a bad thing.
Add Oregon State on to that list of schools the RM's are going to.

You probably know more about Andersen than I do, do you think he will keep going after kids coming off their mission?

But now back to the Wyo player.
I'm glad we got this kid. I have no issue with us going after return missionaries, especially if they can contribute and bring more WYOMING PRIDE than anything.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:I went to California on my "momo" mission--- I came back, fatter, slower, (not whiter), but definitely more mature...(kind of)....ok, not really.

Add Oregon State on to that list of schools the RM's are going to.

You probably know more about Andersen than I do, do you think he will keep going after kids coming off their mission?

But now back to the Wyo player.
I'm glad we got this kid. I have no issue with us going after return missionaries, especially if they can contribute and bring more WYOMING PRIDE than anything.
Andersen is definitely not lds. But he isn't going to put his head in the sand and be oblivious to the asset that rms can be. Coming out of HS I was told mission or football by some local Podunk colleges. Stupid if you ask me. Let the guys go and mature and see what happens. Andersen understands that and he will let guys go on missions. If the kid is a real blue chipper and can come make a difference as a freshman, they may get some strong encouragement to NOT go. But if they will be sitting behind someone for a few years anyway, it is a win for the team.

As for life as a missionary, guys can stay in shape if they want. Fui Vakapuna from BYU, and a QB at an Arizona school was in my same mission. They happened to be in California, which was a plus, but they just got up earlier and worked out. As opposed to balls of poo like me that would sleep in until 6:30 AM.

My cousin was mission companions with Austin Collie. They were both on board with lifting weights and running every morning from 5:30-6:30. They were in Argentina I believe. He came back bigger, smarter, and more mature.

Is it always an advantage? That can be debated. But I do think the RMs could have an edge on some 18 yr old freshman. That said, I have seen guys balloon up on their missions and never recover.

SoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....in relation to UW football, whether some in the state like the religion or not I could care less, but reality is there are a lot of LDS people in the state of Wyoming. Religious affiliation aside, many of these LDS kids never consider UW as opposed to BYU/USU etc. My uncle played at BYU, my grandpa played at BYU. I have distant relatives who played at USU and BYU as well. When I was a kid I converted to UW :) So, yes, the missionary efforts of the local UW diehards brought me into the fold. :D I think utilizing this resource is a great thing for UW.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Backing up a bit here...

I feel that actively attracting and utilizing the momo mission, is a benefit to a university - both academically, but (as it relates to this sports board) athletically.

Where it becomes fuzzy, is that the momo mission is really the exception in every school in the world not named bWHYu. At bWHYu it is more of the rule, and of course culture.

And yes, it is an advantage for bWHYu. The part that pisses me off is when their fanbase continually debates that it is not an advantage. Yes it f-word is.

Lastly, if Wyoming were to embrace it and foster that culture to the extent of bWHYu (which is ridiculous and would never happen), don't think for one second bWHYu wouldn't come crying / bitching / whining / and screaming to stop it. Oh, and the NCAA would probably get involved and shut it down at that point.

EDIT: And for you Beav...regardless...mission or not...I love that Wyoming is bringing on more Wyoming.
Dear Karma,

djm19
WyoNation Addict

I agree mcpeachy.

Why do you think I converted?
StarValleyPoke
Buckaroo

I know that the son of a good friend of mine is trying to walk on this year, Conner Hoopes from SV. He's 6'4" 225 right now. I was lucky enough to have Coach Vigen sit at our table at a recent CJC event in Afton and he was a very cool guy. What's more, when he spoke he talked about having a much more intense in-state presence when it comes to the team because there are so many roles on a squad. Another SV kid, Pahl Schwab, participated in the Spring football stuff on the O-line. I hope these guys can contribute.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

StarValleyPoke wrote:I know that the son of a good friend of mine is trying to walk on this year, Conner Hoopes from SV. He's 6'4" 225 right now. I was lucky enough to have Coach Vigen sit at our table at a recent CJC event in Afton and he was a very cool guy. What's more, when he spoke he talked about having a much more intense in-state presence when it comes to the team because there are so many roles on a squad. Another SV kid, Pahl Schwab, participated in the Spring football stuff on the O-line. I hope these guys can contribute.
Star Valley has turned out some good players over the years. Glad they are walking on. The more the merrier.