Jalen Ortiz - Transferring from UCLA to UW

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

https://twitter.com/The1NOnly_Ocho/stat ... 0192642048 Getting a DB with experience could be Bohls biggest get at this stage.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... alen-ortiz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... be6a7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Nice....the guy had a lot of P5 offers.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The way I see it, He wants to play and not sit and after the transfer he will probably be a starter instead of a backup.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Doesn't he have to sit out for a year?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://sports.yahoo.com/ucla/football/r ... tiz-108418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big-named recruit in high school. Article says he sits out 2015, has 2 years to play after that.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We never know how it will turn out but I like this move and hope to see a few more of them. It'd be nice to get a few shots in the arm of players who had that kind of pedigree coming out of HS.
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

I like this. With the offers we have out to a bunch of "star"-type recruits, I'm sure we'll miss on a bunch. But maybe we'll pick a few up via the transfer route down the road.

WW
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Curt Mallory doing his magic!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

this is a wonderful get!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Just talked to a couple coaches that knew him during his time at UCLA, they were impressed, said he can play a lot of positions and is "fast as poop".
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I really like this get.

Pickups like these are the type of thing that make me eat crow when I am complaining about lack of talent at Wyo for football.

The kid has an impressive list. So obviously the question of why he transferred comes up. But then I don't think it is really an issue if Bohl was willing to pick him up.

Can't wait for him to take the field.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Bohl is a good recruiter. For some reason or another, he was in touch with this player, and managed to convince him to come to the dark / cold / snowy side.

He could have very easily been a bench warmer at UCLA his entire career.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

I'd like to see Coffman/Ortiz become the poster boys for P5 transfers to Wyo. This is a good tactic that Bohl seems to understand and that we've seen being used by 1AA programs like NDSU and Montana. I know they have a benefit due to no "sit out" year, but we mention it all the time - why risk sitting for 4/5 years when you can play immediately? That is a tough consideration when you're 18 and certain you're the best there ever was, but with a little maturity, those that care about the game can see the light.