CSU to Big 12

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PCB
Ranch Hand

The delusional fans down there have put up a Facebook page begging for entry. :lol:
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Breed'em Young will probably join. CSU is staying..
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Geez. One solid season on the back of a top QB can do wonders for the ego. They're like Fresno fans from last year, they'll come back to earth as that win total shrinks from 10 to somewhere around 5-7.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I hate to say this, but it's not just CSU fans who talk about them getting into Big 12. I've seen writers from Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas all say that it would make sense. Though to be fair, I don't think any of those writers quite understand that CSU doesn't necessarily bring the Denver TV market with it.

IF they somehow don't crash and burn this upcoming season it might get some more traction, though.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Hayduke wrote:Breed'em Young will probably join. CSU is staying..
BYU* won't get in. Too many Southern Baptists and "traditional" Protestants in control of those Big 12 schools.

I've heard that CSEwe has been brought up as a possible candidate by some writers, but I'm not sure if there's been anything actually discussed by Big 12 people. I think it's more likely they just hold there noses a bit and bring in Houston and Cincinnati...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Wyovanian wrote:
BYU* won't get in. Too many Southern Baptists and "traditional" Protestants in control of those Big 12 schools.

I've heard that CSEwe has been brought up as a possible candidate by some writers, but I'm not sure if there's been anything actually discussed by Big 12 people. I think it's more likely they just hold there noses a bit and bring in Houston and Cincinnati...
Does adding a 5th Texas school 3rd (at most) in their market REALLY bring that much to the Big 12 though? For example, it would be like us adding NMSU to the MWC. It's redundant and crowds the market (so to speak).

Cinci I can see, but another Texas school?
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

And they'll want either 2 teams north of Oklahoma or 2 teams south of it so the 2 Oklahoma schools won't be split up when they set up their divisions.
Last edited by FarEastPoke on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Does adding a 5th Texas school 3rd (at most) in their market REALLY bring that much to the Big 12 though? For example, it would be like us adding NMSU to the MWC. It's redundant and crowds the market (so to speak).

Cinci I can see, but another Texas school?
Their priority is to qualify for a CCG, TV market is very, very secondary to that.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

From a tv revenue perspective, csu makes more sense than byu or a boise. I used to work at ad agency and would buy media. As of this month, Denver is like 7th nationally tv market. SLC is like mid 30s (kind of like age of most the byu team), and boise isn't in top 100. Colorado to PAC12 was strictly about money...csu could be similar scenario. :/

Do I think it will happen? Prob not. But not totally unlikely.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

djm19 wrote:From a tv revenue perspective, csu makes more sense than byu or a boise. I used to work at ad agency and would buy media. As of this month, Denver is like 7th nationally tv market. SLC is like mid 30s (kind of like age of most the byu team), and boise isn't in top 100. Colorado to PAC12 was strictly about money...csu could be similar scenario. :/

Except Colorado is almost strictly a pro-sports state. CU is barely an afterthought. The sheep? Only if there's nothing else in the news to report.

So while Denver is a good market, it's a good market if it's pro-sports. College sports? Not so much.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

djm19 wrote:From a tv revenue perspective, csu makes more sense than byu or a boise. I used to work at ad agency and would buy media. As of this month, Denver is like 7th nationally tv market. SLC is like mid 30s (kind of like age of most the byu team), and boise isn't in top 100. Colorado to PAC12 was strictly about money...csu could be similar scenario. :/

But wouldn't that larger market have to like and or support CSU for that market to be of any value? Cause folks in Fart Colon don't even like CSU.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

fromolwyoming wrote:

Except Colorado is almost strictly a pro-sports state. CU is barely an afterthought. The sheep? Only if there's nothing else in the news to report.

So while Denver is a good market, it's a good market if it's pro-sports. College sports? Not so much.
Exactly. You very rarely, if ever hear about the puffs and sheep after their opener against each other. Even with the Sheep's season last year it was maybe two segments a week on the news.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

To be perfectly honest I read more about Wyoming basketball last year in Colorado news then about CSU or CU football.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Last I heard (just last week) was that Bowlsby wanted to add but the Big 12 programs said no. So Texas probably said no.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if people in Denver give two dumps about csu and cu. It is about a conference presence. Big 12 doesn't care about people being csu fans as much fans of the conference. In that regard, then they could easily end up adding someone like a csu.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

djm19 wrote:Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if people in Denver give two dumps about csu and cu. It is about a conference presence. Big 12 doesn't care about people being csu fans as much fans of the conference. In that regard, then they could easily end up adding someone like a csu.
That's the problem though. The fluffs and sheep really don't have a presence there. They barely hit their own cities. Denver? Wyoming has received more press from Denver than they have. That should tell you something right there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I think CSU has a better chance than byu. Outside of the Mountain West, very few folks want to associate with byu or travel to provo. Not only that, but byu had a sweetheart espn deal but their ratings were essentially the same as all other G5 games. In other words, I don't think the advertising impact is really that much better with byu.

With CSU, I get the argument that they have a market that doesn't care, but I'd rather have a market that doesn't care than no or little market.

At the end of the day, I still think that if I were in charge of the P5, I would contract rather than expand. There are 5 P5 conferences. I'd take the best 10 teams from each conference. Then, I'd split them into 5 team mini-conferences. Each mini-conference sends a team to the playoffs. Leaving a 10 team playoff. The 4 lowest ranked teams are the Wild-Card round to play into an 8 team bracket.

I'd almost guarantee dropping 15 teams from the current P5 would do nothing to revenue and my proposed format would probably increase revenue. If necessary, I would stop sponsoring "NCAA football" and sponsor "Elite CFB" or something. That would still allow access to NCAA bball.

I'm bucking the trend. I think there may be some immediate expansion, but, long-term, I think there will be a contraction at the highest level of CFB.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

they'd get their asses handed to them every saturday, good riddance if it ever happened, but surely doubt it, damn sheep
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

For crying out loud...

Colorado State is the flavor of the month. Last summer, Fresno's name was being thrown into the Big XII expansion speculation fest. Once the effects of the Grayson era wear off (and it will happen soon), you'll stop hearing about them. One 6-6 season is all it will take for the luster to disappear.

Fellow Poke fans, promise me that when Bohl starts succeeding in a few years that you don't become as delusional as these Rams fans.

I mean, geezus...one 10-win season in which they accomplished NOTHING (no division or conference title, not even a Vegas Bowl victory) and now they're Big XII worthy? LOL GTFO...

Even in their greatest season ever, they still had small crowds.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:For crying out loud...

Colorado State is the flavor of the month. Last summer, Fresno's name was being thrown into the Big XII expansion speculation fest. Once the effects of the Grayson era wear off (and it will happen soon), you'll stop hearing about them. One 6-6 season is all it will take for the luster to disappear.

Fellow Poke fans, promise me that when Bohl starts succeeding in a few years that you don't become as delusional as these Rams fans.

I mean, geezus...one 10-win season in which they accomplished NOTHING (no division or conference title, not even a Vegas Bowl victory) and now they're Big XII worthy? LOL GTFO...

Even in their greatest season ever, they still had small crowds.
I am not saying that it is even likely to ever happen. But, they have as good as odds as anyone IF the Big12 ever expanded. CU was added to Pac12 with decades of crappy records. To think the Big 12 could add CSU isn't that far of a stretch.