Travel plans for road games?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Sadly, this season will be the first that I don't make a Wyo game in several years. My work schedule usually allows for an off weekend, but this year, no such luck. Starting August 10 I will be working everyday (yes, I mean EVERY day) until sometime in late November or early December. I will certainly be watching, with beers in hand, as many as I can on TV though.
Are you in the oil industry?
College Athletics
Sweet! Do you love it?
I do really enjoy it. The pay is nowhere near what I would like to make and the time commitment can, at times, be extreme. BUT there are only 2 or 3 days a year where I actually think "I don't want to go to work today". The rest of the time I almost look forward to it. Having worked jobs in the past that I hated every day, this is something that you can't really put a price tag on.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Sounds fun. Jobs like this would be hard with a family, but if you can make it work, awesome. Cool experiences.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

djm19 wrote:When hobbies become jobs (at least in my case), it was no longer fun :D

I got a great marketing manager job offer at the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake Bees this spring. Turned it down immediately. The wear and tear on a family was too much. Fun for the first few games.
Really?!?! I had never really thought of it like that. The idea of working for the University of Wyoming Athletic Department or the Colorado Rockies sounds awesome! But I guess its just like any other JOB. Its work and suck and not always pie in the sky.
A lot of the BS you don't see as a fan, you DO see as an employee. I see your point to "find something you enjoy" and do it. What I found is I loved going to Jazz games as a fan. As soon as I was hosting clients in suites every night and such, it became a job and not a hobby, and a I dreaded going. As crazy as it sounds. I would look for every reason to not have to go to the games when it was work related.

If I was a young single guy, with nothing keeping me back, then :thumb: game on. Now that I am getting to be an old ornery fuddy duddy, with a wife and three little kids..... :thumbdown: (Although a road trip for a break from time to time is nice :)
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

MrTitleist wrote:Billings to Spokompton? Is there even a flight like that??
According to the internet there is lol. A flight directly to Pullman is available. For $470 per person. However if we flew into Spokane and drove the 60 miles to Pullman its $200 cheaper.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Out of curiosity, how fast do Laramie hotels fill up for football Saturdays? Is it ever a problem getting a room?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:When hobbies become jobs (at least in my case), it was no longer fun :D

I got a great marketing manager job offer at the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake Bees this spring. Turned it down immediately. The wear and tear on a family was too much. Fun for the first few games.
Really?!?! I had never really thought of it like that. The idea of working for the University of Wyoming Athletic Department or the Colorado Rockies sounds awesome! But I guess its just like any other JOB. Its work and suck and not always pie in the sky.

I think it can depend on the job, but I imagine some NBA and AAA baseball is more work than play.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Out of curiosity, how fast do Laramie hotels fill up for football Saturdays? Is it ever a problem getting a room?
Historically they've filled up really fast. Book as far out as possible if you're planning on staying in Laramie. You can always stay in Cheyenne and make the trip over, but that seriously limits your tailgating activities if you don't have a DD.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Kevin McKinney returned my email asking why no streaming for the North Dakota and Appy State games and he said there still might be streaming for No Dakota but as of now they want a big turnout and by not streaming it there will be more fans forced to show up.

As far as Appy state is concerned, being a road game we don't have any say in it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

castlerocker wrote:As far as Appy state is concerned, being a road game we don't have any say in it.
Correct
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Just looked at last year's ASU schedule, and all games were at minimum available on ESPN3. Even if it's not, it looks like they do streaming on their website (have to pay for a month's access at $12).
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Out of curiosity, how fast do Laramie hotels fill up for football Saturdays? Is it ever a problem getting a room?
The "nicer" chains (it's all relative, Laramie isn't exactly a 5-star hotel type of town) tend to fill up way in advance. Most of them (Holiday, Comfort, Hampton, Hilton Garden) are mostly booked throughout the season already. There are usually rooms available in the less appealing properties up until game week, depending on the matchup.