Rocky Long calls P-5 schools 'afraid'

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Some say the new playoff was a good thing for college football but good is all in the eyes of the beholder. The playoff which gives four teams an opportunity play for the nation title but if you ask San Diego State head coach Rocky Long believes that the new format may give the non-power five conferences a disadvantage especially when it comes to scheduling schools from the Power Five.

He believes that the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC conferences hold all the cards and they dictate what happens in college football including non-conference scheduling. Long who has games against Cal and Penn State this year both games are on the road and for schools like San Diego State the problem is getting a return game.

"I've got no problem with going to North Carolina, like we did last year, or going to Penn State, like we do this year." Long said at Mountain West media days. "If they'll come back to San Diego State. I've got no problem with that, but I think it should be home-and-home."

But he knows teams like that will never schedule a Home and Home series because they have no incentive or in Long's words: "Because they're afraid."

Rest of story here--> http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/7/28/ ... power-five" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Long also says that MWC teams need to begin beefing up their schedules each year: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... /30814671/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I don't disagree with Long at all about needing to schedule 2 P5 teams each year especially in the current MWC. Hell, I'd argue that teams like BSU need 3 to 4. The main problem, as he acknowledges, is getting the return trip. No easy answer other than we might just have to play them on the road. If we start winning then start bitching about the home and home thing.

I don't think the P5 is scared and I hate it when teams, including us, use that line. P5 teams can generate a lot more revenue per home game. It doesn't make financial sense to travel to a MWC venue for say $500K when you can get millions for a home game.

I wonder if there is opportunity for a scheduling alliance with a P5 conference in neutral venues. We then package those games as a separate commodity to sell to TV (obviously our cut would be less). Probably not possible, but I wish there was a better way to get more P5 teams scheduled without having to go to their house.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.