MWC commissioner Craig Thompson speaks...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Las Vegas, Nev. • Keeping up with the big leagues is tough, but the Mountain West is managing to hold its own, was the message from commissioner Craig Thompson on Tuesday during the league media days.

Thompson said all the schools in the MWC are offering full cost of attendance to their athletes except New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada and Air Force — the latter of which is treated as an exception since it technically is a service academy and a non-scholarship rule.

According to the latest figures he has, Thompson said schools are spending an average of $3,813 per student to meet the costs of attendance for the upcoming academic year.

Boise State is spending the most at $5,100 while Colorado State is the lowest at $2,400. Utah State is spending an average of $3,800.

The full cost of attendance is considered the difference between tuition, room and board and other incidentals.

USU raised some eyebrows earlier this year when it asked for, and received, $1.5 million in funding from the state legislature to help it cover the cost of attendance as part of a "Utah Wellness Program."

Rest of story here---> http://www.sltrib.com/home/2778935-155/ ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Boise State is spending the most at $5,100 ........of course
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

BJC wrote:Boise State is spending the most at $5,100 ........of course
Their cost of attendance for out of state undergrad is 15% more than us but they are offering 62% more for athletes.

And some people (even on here) were saying this couldn't be used as a recruiting tool. That it was set in stone based on COA.

B.S. This is a perfect example of why that is not true.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Their cost of attendance for out of state undergrad is 15% more than us but they are offering 62% more for athletes.

And some people (even on here) were saying this couldn't be used as a recruiting tool. That it was set in stone based on COA.

100% - and if you are an 18 year old kid, are you gonna take the $2700 each semester from poop, or the $5100 from Boise per semester. Duh.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

100% - and if you are an 18 year old kid, are you gonna take the $2700 each semester from poop, or the $5100 from Boise per semester. Duh.
Does this money come from the universitys funds or from the athletic budget?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I think it counts towards the athletic budget; at least I remember Burman talking about increasing athletic budget to offer COA. Of course the athletic budget comes from the University budget, so kind of both.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I think it counts towards the athletic budget; at least I remember Burman talking about increasing athletic budget to offer COA. Of course the athletic budget comes from the University budget, so kind of both.
I get what you're saying. I just wasn't sure if increasing our athletic budget would allow this or is this a scholarship issue
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I think it counts towards the athletic budget; at least I remember Burman talking about increasing athletic budget to offer COA. Of course the athletic budget comes from the University budget, so kind of both.
I get what you're saying. I just wasn't sure if increasing our athletic budget would allow this or is this a scholarship issue
Gotcha. I think for almost every school, it is an AD issue and not a general scholarship issue.

In our case and USU's state legislature money earmarked for the athletic department (at least to my understanding).