Mountain West all-time football programs ranked (Wyoming?)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

You might be surprised by this ranking according to the author...

Here--> http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/7/22/ ... ams-ranked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

IMO, this is the primary reason Craig Bohl came to Wyoming. Of recent, we have not had the success we have had under leaders like Eaton, Roach, Tiller and those ball clubs in a very strong conference and prior to the P-5. Yet, I think Bohl believes that the Cowboys are more than a B-ball program with a football stadium. Year 5 is the deadline for the Cowboys to win a conference championship and start contending for a bowl game that has merit. We have the right leadership in place outside of Burman and McGinty. Maybe, just maybe the board and University can get their guy, and stick principally to the plan in the selection of the next UW prez.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

This board seems to have a split in the way the fans view Wyo football success.

There are people who think Wyo's success in the old days was the rule, not the exception.
And there are people who think Wyo's success was the exception, not the rule.

And whether you think it was the exception or the rule, if Wyo wants to have success in this day of college football, looking to the past success and trying to replicate it probably isn't the best way to go. Things have changed since then in terms of recruiting, conferences, scheduling, program perception, and really just about everything in college football has changed since Wyo's last sustained success.

Looking to see how Eaton did it half a century ago won't help now.
Bohl will need to create his own legacy and his own style if he wants to win here. I think he can but it's not going to be in a way older Wyo fans remember the old greats doing it.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:This board seems to have a split in the way the fans view Wyo football success.

There are people who think Wyo's success in the old days was the rule, not the exception.

And whether you think it was the exception or the rule, if Wyo wants to have success in this day of college football, looking to the past success and trying to replicate it probably isn't the best way to go. Things have changed since then in terms of recruiting, conferences, scheduling, program perception, and really just about everything in college football has changed since Wyo's last sustained success.

Bohl will need to create his own legacy and his own style if he wants to win here. I think he can but it's not going to be in a way older Wyo fans remember the old greats doing it.
+100 Well said.

Pessimist BP is over with, optimistic BP had his turn, now reasonable BP is posting. :lol: ;)

Princeton has 20+ national championships. With the right coaching, they can do it again.

.... :lol:
Last edited by J-Rod on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:This board seems to have a split in the way the fans view Wyo football success.

+100 Well said.

Pessimist BP is over with, optimistic BP had his turn, now reasonable BP is posting. :lol: ;)

Hahaha, I'm growing up lol.

The optimist was created by DC and ACS first season, then rejuvenated by Brett Smith.
Pessimist was created by seeing the way things were done at OSU and P5 schools.

Now I just want Wyo to win, but realize where we sit in the pecking order.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Not surprised at Wyoming's rank. I'm surprised CSU ranked that high and over Air Force.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Looking to see how Eaton did it half a century ago won't help now.
Exactly. When Eaton did it, WYO was on par or better than most with respect to things like budget.

Our precipitous drop in athletic budget relative to other institutions is not a mere coincidence with our drop in competitiveness. If we want to be big-time, we need to spend big-time. My vote is to commit to a 10 year run. If we see no return on investment, then fine, go back to this per capita, per student b.s.

1 decade of outspending BSU and let's see where we end up. My prediction is we make money by spending it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I'm certainly not living in the past, the article cited was about where Wyoming ranks with current MWC opponents, the ranking does not include Utah, BYU, or TCU all whom were common opponents at one point in the conference. My suggestion is related to Bohl, and the rationale for him choosing a program like Wyoming. The dude is working his ass off in the state and around the nation to increase the programs awareness to attract quality athletes. If we take a look seriously at what Shyatt has accomplished without Mcdonalds All American athletes, in effect Bohl is following a similar trajectory. Time will tell whether his skills and personality will relate to a competitive program in the conference in which we compete. Past performance does not relate to current performance, yet history is a tool to compare what may develop. I can't sit through many more 63-14 games at home against Boise State, and I don't think many of us here are wanting those types of outcomes in the near term, and it's going to take a lot more than an athlete the quality of ACS or Brett Smith to change that dynamic.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Well said.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

johnywyo wrote: yet history is a tool to compare what may develop.
I wasn't directly relating my pic post to you John, so apologies if it seemed that way.

However, on this point we definitely disagree. IMO, pre-BCS era is completely irrelevant to comparing what might be. We might even find that pre-playoff and pre-autonomy is irrelevant to what might be in the future. In fact, 15 years from now, we might not even be playing in the highest level of football; not even to the level of illusion we are now.

The G5 label is a killer that wasn't around in the past.