Thought this was interesting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Most official recruiting visits occur during the winter (December-January). Could UW play up the fact that driving during those months is potentially dangerous? If the student athlete is at risk and flying is safer, maybe the NCAA offers a waiver?
While I agree that it would take something like this to warrant a change, I cannot see the NCAA agreeing that if the roads are crappy that the conditions in the air will be safer.
Roads can be hazardous long after a storm passes and can't be de-iced nearly as efficient as runways. In other words, I would expect a runway to be safer sooner after a storm than 190 miles of road between Laramie and the Denver Airport.

It sounds as if pre-2004, sending the plane was our preferred method.
Runways absolutely can be safer. The worry, for me, isnt the runway though. The winds around here in the winter are miserable and you can have heavy icing conditions in clear conditions. I am sure flying absolutely is a luxury and maybe even cheaper, but I can't argue its safer.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: I am sure flying absolutely is a luxury and maybe even cheaper, but I can't argue its safer.
You definitely would know more about that than I.

However, I wouldn't mind using the safety angle to get an exemption if Bohl and Shyatt felt it was worth it :D
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: I am sure flying absolutely is a luxury and maybe even cheaper, but I can't argue its safer.

However, I wouldn't mind using the safety angle to get an exemption if Bohl and Shyatt felt it was worth it :D
Haha gotta play the game when you can.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Wyoming needs to get a waiver for this 'cos I can see a recruit saying "no thanks" after dealing with I-25 north of Denver until the state line. I-25 is a bitch from Denver to Fort Collins both ways!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

If 21 yr old pilots that haven't started shaving can fly into rock springs, I'm sure they can land in Laramie
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:

LOL This...I'm no expert on this topic, but hey...if it bends the rules a little in UW's favor, I'll be glad to tell science to temporarily f-word off.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This is an interesting database on how much money teams spend in recruiting. I've linked it in a way that you can see all the MW schools together

http://db.desmoinesregister.com/college ... derdir=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the basketball side, if you're curious: http://db.desmoinesregister.com/college ... derdir=asc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Seriously though...how does UW not have a waiver for this?
Thanks for getting us back on track! That is what I was wondering. Maybe I've been in the dark, but I haven't heard or thought about this. It would seem that the NCAA would be receptive to some exceptions if it is a big limiting factor for us.
How many schools do you think this actually, negatively affects? Are we alone in this or is there a legitimate chance for this to change?
Found an article from after the change was made. Among the unhappy coaches:

"I absolutely feel that it was a knee-jerk reaction," Purdue Coach Joe Tiller said, also at the Big Ten's news conference.

Purdue is among the schools that will be affected most by the ban on chartered and private planes. Purdue's campus in West Lafayette, Ind., is about 63 miles from the closest airport in Indianapolis.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 4Aug5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo