" Wyoming is a joke and won't be televising or streaming.."

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Something happened in 2007 that started wiping out the middle of the mountain west conference.

The country went into a recession. People started watching more TV. Advertisers started paying more. Bigger conferences started collecting more revenue from TV. The big guys raided the top of the MWC. We lost our TV station. The middle started falling apart. All the realignment crap.

Now the economy is growing again. There is a trend towards cutting the cable. Sooner than later the ESPN bubble will burst. The best thing we can do is win, win hard, keep our good coaches around, and upgrade facilities. When that bubble bursts, we want that momentum going - and it could slingshot us to the top pretty quickly.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

HAYDUKE:

Appreciate your comments on the ND board. You certainly have it right that in many ways that but for BYU that the Cowboys might still be riding the high of the Sugar Bowl year and the mo they had that year before the"incident" that derailed Cowboy Football. In my opinion it has never got back, Paul Roach almost got us there, but we probably needed a few more years of him and a bowl win that year over Iowa would have gone a long ways.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Douglaspoke wrote:HAYDUKE:

Appreciate your comments on the ND board. You certainly have it right that in many ways that but for BYU that the Cowboys might still be riding the high of the Sugar Bowl year and the mo they had that year before the"incident" that derailed Cowboy Football. In my opinion it has never got back, Paul Roach almost got us there, but we probably needed a few more years of him and a bowl win that year over Iowa would have gone a long ways.
Anyone who reads my comments knows that I can't stand byu, but I fail to see how that was their fault. They (byu) were who they were. We can't control that.

What we could control was our response and we dropped the ball, IMO.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

WyoBrandX wrote:Something happened in 2007 that started wiping out the middle of the mountain west conference.

The country went into a recession. People started watching more TV. Advertisers started paying more. Bigger conferences started collecting more revenue from TV. The big guys raided the top of the MWC. We lost our TV station. The middle started falling apart. All the realignment crap.

Now the economy is growing again. There is a trend towards cutting the cable. Sooner than later the ESPN bubble will burst. The best thing we can do is win, win hard, keep our good coaches around, and upgrade facilities. When that bubble bursts, we want that momentum going - and it could slingshot us to the top pretty quickly.
So you're saying a good way to support the Pokes is to get rid of ESPN?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:

Anyone who reads my comments knows that I can't stand byu, but I fail to see how that was their fault. They (byu) were who they were. We can't control that.

Why would we want to look in the mirror and see why we suck when we can just blame BYU and pretend it's their fault?

I mean seriously.
We had some players trying to make a social justice/civil rights movement and a coach who (right or wrong, I don't care at this point) wasn't okay with the way the players wanted to act and carry out their plan and in the long run, it cost them their spots on the team. It just so happened to be that these players were some of our best players.

The fall of the Wyoming Cowboys was because of the Wyoming Cowboys.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

Why would we want to look in the mirror and see why we suck when we can just blame BYU and pretend it's their fault?

I mean seriously.
We had some players trying to make a social justice/civil rights movement and a coach who (right or wrong, I don't care at this point) wasn't okay with the way the players wanted to act and carry out their plan and in the long run, it cost them their spots on the team. It just so happened to be that these players were some of our best players.

No, BP. You don't get it! Had BYU allowed blacks into the Mormon church, that "incident" never happens. Cause and effect! So...our f-word mess since early 70s is rightfully blamed on the basterds!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

If the drug dealer didn't have drugs, I wouldn't have gotten high, mom
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

I mean seriously.

No, BP. You don't get it! Had BYU allowed blacks into the Mormon church, that "incident" never happens. Cause and effect! So...our f-word mess since early 70s is rightfully blamed on the basterds!!!!
I think and hope you are being sarcastic. If not, then whoa....

Side note. It wasn't about blacks being allowed in the church it was about blacks not being Bishops in the church.

Another side note, did you know several other schools in the western US also protested BYU because of that?

CSU, SJSU, I think even the Beavers did too.
Some of them almost had full on riots during basketball and football games.
Wyoming though? We just let it decimate our football program.

Could you imagine a modern day Black14 happening?
A team like LSU or Michigan State just falling from the top to the depths of the FBS.

Amazing how big of a deal that is to Wyoming football.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:I agree with Mcpeach. Get your ass to the game. The only people I've never heard complain about a blackout are people at the game. Blackouts happen. I'd like to watch it but oh well, maybe a couple thousand extra people will show up
The non streaming of this game on a holiday weekend is probably a strategy figuring there is more $$ in a few extra ticket sales from diehards around the state than there is in the cost of a broadcast operation pandering to many of the same diehards that don't have a Helluvalot to do Labor Day weekend.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Thanks.

I thought the UND folks coming should appreciate how I love Laramie and UW. I think those fans will have a great time. I'll wear my UND Sioux jersey that day, but I won't be disappointed in any outcome. I'll probably confuse the Hell out of folks with the Steamboat stickers on my GMC while wearing green and white. Lol
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Just to set the record straight, had nothing to do with blacks being in the church, nothing to do with them not being "bishops."

FWIW. ...https://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not all of us are as bad as some on here think.

Flame on...

Can we have on thread not morph into a BYU discussion? I hate them as much as anyone, but enough. Profess to hate them, but you can't quit them. Starting to think it is a weird crush thing.

Beav, are you still in Corvallis then?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:Just to set the record straight, had nothing to do with blacks being in the church, nothing to do with them not being "bishops."

FWIW. ...https://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not all of us are as bad as some on here think.

Flame on...

Can we have on thread not morph into a BYU discussion? I hate them as much as anyone, but enough. Profess to hate them, but you can't quit them. Starting to think it is a weird crush thing.

Beav, are you still in Corvallis then?

When I said it had to do with the church not letting black people be Bishops I meant not letting blacks into the Priesthood. I assumed Bishops=Priesthood. Apparently that is not entirely correct.

But yes I am in Corvallis still. And will be in Oregon for a while. I believe me and the future Mrs. BeaverPoke are going to start our "real lives" up here.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

I mean seriously.

This really is an interesting debate. I can certainly understand at the time, even today, a coach saying, "You are here to play football. Take your problems out on them on the field. Your part of a team and the team is what matters." I can also see the flip side of it.

It would have been better if Eaton would have let them wear their wrist bands and protest. If the incident had never happened, I don't know if we would have continued our success or not. We had a pretty good finish to that year losing 14 players midseason.

It could be argued losing Lloyd Eaton in 1970 might have been the reason things went down hill. I remember hearing a Paul Roach interview that Eaton had taught smaller defensive guys techniques that put them on par with other teams that had much bigger offensive players.

In the long run, I'm not sure how much it would have mattered anyways. College football has been heading towards potent offenses and penalizing defenses more for hitting offensive players. Nobody likes seeing an 0-3 game at halftime.

I like our current philosophy. Focus on controlling the game in every way possible. Take your time to score and score. Get your defense off the field without giving up a score as quick as possible.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:Something happened in 2007 that started wiping out the middle of the mountain west conference.

So you're saying a good way to support the Pokes is to get rid of ESPN?
I think so. ESPN makes their money on Ads. They base their ads on some odd heuristics with viewers. They give money to conferences based upon number of people that watch the game. If you don't watch them, your one set of eyeballs not generating revenue. Its obviously all in the hands of ESPN on how they want this to work out.

I guess on the flip side, watch espn, but only when the cowboys are playing on it. If you watch when Oregon or Florida is playing, your just helping those teams out more and cutting Wyoming out.

I do think it is a bubble though. It will burst.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

It was a different time. A different article. I'd definitely recommend reading it:

http://www.si.com/vault/1969/11/03/6110 ... of-trouble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I agree with this completely. There is going to be a time in the very near future where Internet streaming, a la carte cable is going to be the norm. This BS of being forced to take every channel in existence for the 3 you want is over. I cut cable and went to SlingTV and its the best decision I've made in awhile. If we can build success without the support of the current method of media, we will be well ahead of the curve when the death occurs. Astute observation WBX
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Thinking about doing the SlingTV thing.....but it is FOR ESPN. Maybe I am just getting older but most channels are simply garbage.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BJC wrote:Thinking about doing the SlingTV thing.....but it is FOR ESPN. Maybe I am just getting older but most channels are simply garbage.
The espn feature was what pushed me over the edge. I needed sports of some kind in my life
BJC
A Real Cowboy

And it is basically some of the only content that is time sensitive.....dvr on demand etc for anything else
Geaux_sioux
Buckaroo

WyoBrandX wrote:It was a different time. A different article. I'd definitely recommend reading it:

http://www.si.com/vault/1969/11/03/6110 ... of-trouble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow that was interesting. It's always fun to read those old articles where people will actually speak their mind in an interview. I'm not going to pretend that I can form an opinion based on one article about a circumstance that I previously knew nothing about but that situation seemed a bit off. We'll see if Bohl can bring you guys back to the top of the MWC.