9 true freshmen from Wyo illustrate Bohl's State commitment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Quote: “The previous coaching staff didn’t really recruit Wyoming kids”

If Josh Harshman was two years younger, he might not have landed at Wyoming.

At least he doesn’t think so.

“The previous coaching staff didn’t really recruit Wyoming kids,” said Harshman, a UW freshman tight end from Natrona County. “It’s really a great thing that the new coaching staff came in and they gave me a chance. I don’t think I would’ve gotten the same opportunity if it was the other coaching staff. I’m really blessed that those guys came in. I’m really excited for the future.”

After UW coach Craig Bohl took over following the 2013 season, he quickly made it his mission to guard Wyoming’s borders, keeping the best in-state prep players at UW.

With nine incoming freshmen from Wyoming — including Harshman and high school teammate Logan Wilson on scholarship — the Cowboys’ 2015 roster features 14 in-state players, and that number doesn't include Wyoming natives Tanner Simpson and Seth Edeen who were forced to retire midway through fall camp due to health concerns.

And now...for the rest of the story--> http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 723ef.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Not to piss anyone off, or ruin the moment, but this is a very misleading article. Embarrassingly so...like how many of the 9 are still active today, right now? How many were walk-ons, versus full scholarship players? How many were preferred walk ons?

I am not sure this has to do with Bohly recruiting Wyoming...well, as much as the article leads the reader to believe it does. Poor form.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I agree with McPeachy. The article makes it seem like Christensen refused to look at Wyoming talent. But honestly, there was no Wyoming prep talent worth recruiting. There was the guy who went to Florida and Bartlett to washington in the last few years. Other than that? There was that tight end out of gillette, but he landed here.

Christensen had a Wyoming native run out of the tunnel with the state flag every game! These guys will only be tackling dummies for the next 2-3 years and who knows how many will suit up on saturdays? Christensen may have had fewer Wyoming players on the roster, but I think it's unfair to claim wyo guys didn't matter during his tenure.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Haven't we had a string of Wyo players quitting? A bunch of softies that didn't wanna put in the work?

And then of course, the one who actually did put in the work and earned his scholarship ends up getting bit by the injury bug. (Talking about Tanner, Jarheads kid).

We have had too many not make it. None of those kids put in the effort that Tanner did.

I wouldn't really recruit Wyo after the recent busts.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Haven't we had a string of Wyo players quitting? A bunch of softies that didn't wanna put in the work?

And then of course, the one who actually did put in the work and earned his scholarship ends up getting bit by the injury bug. (Talking about Tanner, Jarheads kid).

We have had too many not make it. None of those kids put in the effort that Tanner did.

I wouldn't really recruit Wyo after the recent busts.
It's all about development with Bohl. There are athletes in Wyoming that don't play football year round, play multiple sports, haven't had training that could be assets. Bohl's goal should be to find this type of player and develop them
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

I think its very important for Bohl and his staff to continue taking a long look at any player in the state who could be a contributor at some point.

Bohl has done more in the last year to network throughout the state than DC did in the 5 years he was in town.

Recruiting the state helps foster an all-in feel, it also assists greatly in building prestige and expanding the culture of the football program with a Wyoming flavor that is crucial in my opinion.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Tanner was an elite athlete, though. 11.4ish 100m, tall, and one hell of a jumper. There's other kids in Wyoming from time to time that are this level of athlete. We just need to get them here and into Bohl's system. This past year was a good start
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Is it that there was no talent or that DC didn't actually take the time to look. I believe that Bohl has gone far beyond what DC ever did.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I agree dal. There are kids that aren't D-1 material to start with. It's no different than not being drafted into the NFL. They don't pass the eye test but bust their balls and just get it done. I think bohl is interested in fostering a more healthy walk on program. How many walkons have turned out more talented than we though? Edeen? And now Harshman?
W-Y, Until I Die!
jarhead
Ranch Hand

Hey Guys thanks for all of the positive energy for Tanner. This is a hard time for him as he would rather be on the field with the Pokes. I had a high school coach tell me yesterday that Tanner is a huge inspiration for his son. Tanner signed an autograph for him 4 years ago and it is still hanging on the young man's wall. If Tanner has left one legacy with Wyoming kids it is that they can be successful with hard work and dedication to a cause. #GoPokes
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

If there is one thing with recruiting that Bohl has done well, it is to get Wyoming kids to walk-on to the team and sell them on it. I agree the article is a bit misleading. BOhl isn't handing out more scholarships to instate kids than in the past. Which in my mind is a good thing. I want good players on scholarship not just local ones. BUt I do really like the idea of getting local kids to come and walk-on and see if they can develope into a contributer/star and earn a scholarship. Its also really good branding to talk about all these in state kids. It gives people that care about that sort of thing a reason to care more about the team. Regardless of whether or not the kids end up contributing or not.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

TSpoke wrote:If there is one thing with recruiting that Bohl has done well, it is to get Wyoming kids to walk-on to the team and sell them on it. I agree the article is a bit misleading. BOhl isn't handing out more scholarships to instate kids than in the past. Which in my mind is a good thing. I want good players on scholarship not just local ones. BUt I do really like the idea of getting local kids to come and walk-on and see if they can develope into a contributer/star and earn a scholarship. Its also really good branding to talk about all these in state kids. It gives people that care about that sort of thing a reason to care more about the team. Regardless of whether or not the kids end up contributing or not.
Spot on!
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Not sure what's misleading. He never said all the Wyoming kids are on scholarship. In fact, he specifically stated the two who are on scholarship.

Bohl understand the importance of a quality walk-on program from his time at Nebraska. Good to see it beginning to pay dividends.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

They are saying that the article is skewed to make Bohl look better than reality. While none of us are a fan of the previous regime, it is not a night-and-day situation where the previous staff completely ignored in-state kids and the new staff is all about them. There isn't much difference between the two staffs when it comes to number of Wyo kids on the roster.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The number has almost doubled under Bohl from 9 to 16. Not just about talent level either, because most of these are walk-ons.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Again...the article is very black and white whilst the reality is more shades of gray. Both recruited Wyoming, both gave a few in-state schollies. The only real difference is that Bohl is more invested in a healthy walk-on program whereas the previous staff didn't emphasize it as much.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

We have always had a good stable of Wyoming walk-ons. What will be a true testimony is how many are left at the end of the year. We have two scholarshipped kids on the roster from Wyoming (freshman)....one is the son of the chairman of the Appropriations Committee in Congress (Harshman) and the other is the son of the associate commissioner of the Wyoming High School Activities association. You can make you own judgement calls on that. It bodes well for Bohl to have a good relationship with Harshman and Wilson. Connections and good PR go a long way in the sport of college football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Slow Hand wrote:We have always had a good stable of Wyoming walk-ons. What will be a true testimony is how many are left at the end of the year. We have two scholarshipped kids on the roster from Wyoming (freshman)....one is the son of the chairman of the Appropriations Committee in Congress (Harshman) and the other is the son of the associate commissioner of the Wyoming High School Activities association. You can make you own judgement calls on that. It bodes well for Bohl to have a good relationship with Harshman and Wilson. Connections and good PR go a long way in the sport of college football.
Well, it sounds like Harshman is a player and will be a contributor for years :thumb: Wilson - have not heard much about him, yet.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

As long as they are prepared and ready to go, and why wouldn't they be, that's all i ask
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Don't get me wrong here....I hope they all do great. I love seeing a Wyoming kid on the team and contributing.