Overstreet decision still in the air

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

One of the toughest decisions facing the University of Wyoming football program one week ahead of the opener against University of North Dakota is whether to redshirt talented freshman running back Kellen Overstreet.

The highly-touted rusher, who was second in the nation with 4,259 yards as a high school senior last year, has impressed in preseason camp.

“What we will not do is make a determination with Kellen to say, ‘OK, you’re gonna go in just strictly a role player where you’re gonna have insignificant playing time,’” UW coach Craig Bohl said following Friday’s practice.

And now...for the rest of the story--> http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f3148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I think it would be wise to redshirt him. We have lots of RBs, unless one gets hurt
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:I think it would be wise to redshirt him. We have lots of RBs, unless one gets hurt
Agreed, but I think we all thought the same about Hill last year. Bohl has usually used 2-3 backs if he has them.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote:
laxwyo wrote:I think it would be wise to redshirt him. We have lots of RBs, unless one gets hurt
Agreed, but I think we all thought the same about Hill last year. Bohl has usually used 2-3 backs if he has them.
He can always burn the redshirt later in the season if he needs to. Would you rather redshirt him this year and have him join Hill in the backfield next year? Jr/Fr combo would be strong for 2 years. Or would you rather not redshirt him and barely use him this year and waste that year. If you don't redshirt him now, it wont happen unless he gets hurt and granted a 5th season.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Spartanmike15 wrote:Or would you rather not redshirt him and barely use him this year and waste that year.
Bohl has already said that if he doesn't redshirt, he'll play more than sparingly.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Moot point now. He will be playing special teams and "rotation" into RB.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Moot point now. He will be playing special teams and "rotation" into RB.
Torn on this. On one hand, we need to get all the speed and size we can on special teams. Kellen is over 200lbs and must be fast, so a good way to improve special teams and get some PT. On the other hand, I want this guy for 4 years at RB and not buried down the depth chart. The top two are obvious, but I would like to see a change of pace back (Nico Evans) as the #3. And Tapscott isn't a bad option either. But he is more like Wick and build like a bowling ball.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I like it. Take care of today, today. Take care of tomorrow with recruiting. If we need another back down the road, get one.

Do whatever it takes (roster-wise) to give us the best chance at winning now.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I like the fact that OVerstreet is playing. I didn't play in college, but it seems like redshirting when you could play would royally suck. Practice, practice, practice and no game? Has got to be tough/

note: I saw that Fr. Hull is the punt returner. I'm super excited about his potential.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote:I like the fact that OVerstreet is playing. I didn't play in college, but it seems like redshirting when you could play would royally suck. Practice, practice, practice and no game? Has got to be tough/

note: I saw that Fr. Hull is the punt returner. I'm super excited about his potential.
Does anyone know when the last time we had a KO or punt return for a td? With our Special Teams as of late, I am to the point to have all 11 guys just chest up to someone and just not make a mistake. No returner to mitigate risk of fumbles and no rushers to mitigate risk of roughing the punter. :brick:

I am not sure about May and Gentry returning kicks. This is where I would plug in a not-as-vital player and give them a shot. Our luck, Gentry and May will both go down injured from a kickoff.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I remember Chris McNeill ran back a punt a few years ago.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I like it. Take care of today, today. Take care of tomorrow with recruiting. If we need another back down the road, get one.

Do whatever it takes (roster-wise) to give us the best chance at winning now.
Agreed. I don't think getting RBs will be a problem around here. Bohl's reputation precedes him. There are still a lot of power backs out there and the number of power running attacks in college have gone down.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Pluses and minuses.

Awesome to play right away but you are a way better player after year one in maturity...weight room etc.

This will also give the option to use his red-shirt if needed due to injury in seasons to come and sometimes guys are just ready. And this could even be a selling point to guys that they could play right away.

If he is a pro prospect, that is one year closer, less wear. :twocents:
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

djm19 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I like the fact that OVerstreet is playing. I didn't play in college, but it seems like redshirting when you could play would royally suck. Practice, practice, practice and no game? Has got to be tough/

Does anyone know when the last time we had a KO or punt return for a td? With our Special Teams as of late, I am to the point to have all 11 guys just chest up to someone and just not make a mistake. No returner to mitigate risk of fumbles and no rushers to mitigate risk of roughing the punter. :brick:

I am not sure about May and Gentry returning kicks. This is where I would plug in a not-as-vital player and give them a shot. Our luck, Gentry and May will both go down injured from a kickoff.
McNeill returned a punt 76 yards for a touchdown in 2011 against UNLV.

Devin Moore ran a kickoff off back 98 yards for a touchdown against Colorado State 2007.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

That reverse handoff/fake handoff on kickoffs was incredibly effective. We should bring that back
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I don't want May returning anything. Too risky using thin LB for returns
W-Y, Until I Die!