Anyone else see...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

That a high school coach has the best team in the West division. Oh yeah, a team with a tradition of losing and bad recruiting, etc. etc. Interesting.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:That a high school coach has the best team in the West division. Oh yeah, a team with a tradition of losing and bad recruiting, etc. etc. Interesting.

And everyone here crapped all over Tony Sanchez when I inquired for opinions several weeks ago before the season started. Doesn't mean it will all work out in the end...but I was surprised by all the negativity - if not outright joy some took in dismissing him so easily.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:That a high school coach has the best team in the West division. Oh yeah, a team with a tradition of losing and bad recruiting, etc. etc. Interesting.

And everyone here crapped all over Tony Sanchez when I inquired for opinions several weeks ago before the season started. Doesn't mean it will all work out in the end...but I was surprised by all the negativity - if not outright joy some took in dismissing him so easily.
Go check my response poster formerly known as DINO. If you remember I was complimentary particularly of the staff he hired. GREAT coaching job thus far. The Rebs play tough and disciplined.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:

Go check my response poster formerly known as DINO. If you remember I was complimentary particularly of the staff he hired. GREAT coaching job thus far. The Rebs play tough and disciplined.
Clarification, I did not mean you personally, but the majority of those who weighed in at that time.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:

Clarification, I did not mean you personally, but the majority of those who weighed in at that time.
Gotcha and that is true.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I knew he was going to do big things for them which is why I said so.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

When he was first hired, I was skeptical. But when he began bringing in a number of highly rated assistant coaches and recruiting some pretty good sounding players, I had a feeling he would do pretty well.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

If San Jose can play as good at UNLV next week as they did at Auburn today then they have a good chance to win the West the way it's looking. Hawaii can't find the end zone, Nevada just lost to UNLV in Reno, Fresno is just about down and out, San Diego St doesn't look much better than Fresno. It's too bad Wyoming isn't having a better year, would be fun to have an SJSU/Wyoming Conference Championship game.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Sanchez is playing virtually all of Hauck's kids. Only one freshman (Lopez) starts on the offense. Six freshmen on the 2nd team offense. Zero freshmen on first team defense, and only one freshman on the 2nd team D. Let's not anoint him king of football quite yet. Let's see how he does recruiting "his players." Hauck actually left him some pretty solid players and he only graduates 4 seniors on the O and 5 on the D. He has a bunch of juniors and sophomores in the starting rotation so he should have a good club with his recruits showing their stuff in 2017 and beyond. Time will tell if he is a great coach or another failed experiment.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote:Sanchez is playing virtually all of Hauck's kids. Only one freshman (Lopez) starts on the offense. Six freshmen on the 2nd team offense. Zero freshmen on first team defense, and only one freshman on the 2nd team D. Let's not anoint him king of football quite yet. Let's see how he does recruiting "his players." Hauck actually left him some pretty solid players and he only graduates 4 seniors on the O and 5 on the D. He has a bunch of juniors and sophomores in the starting rotation so he should have a good club with his recruits showing their stuff in 2017 and beyond. Time will tell if he is a great coach or another failed experiment.
Not anointing him, but, the argument of these being Hauck's kids is weak at best. These are Hauck's kids that never really played well and had Hauck been here, it would have likely been same old UNLV. It isn't like UNLV cut bait too early. It isn't like these were highly rated recruiting classes. At the same time, they also haven't really beaten anyone. The SJSU state game is now surprisingly intriguing. They appear to be playing better but the wheels could fall off. I just meant, with this thread, that he appears to be doing pretty well.

I do wonder though, at the end of this year, who will have more total wins at the FBS level: Bohl or Sanchez?
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I said when he got hired that if he could get several of the kids at Bishop he used to coach per year, that he'd be alright. And then he brought in great assistants.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I think good coaches should be able to make an immediate impact at new schools. Great coaches will then be able to sustain that and maybe build on it. Not always the case, but more often true than not.

Sanchez might not have the kids he wants, but he's making the current roster into a better team. He's showing signs of a good coach, but will he be great by the above criteria? Christensen took glenn's kids and got them a bowl win and exceeded expectations. The years after are another story. McElwain is kicking ass at Florida while at the same time changing the culture. With their recruiting potential and his ability to make the best of what they got, it'll be interesting to see how good Florida can become. Since he's no longer in FoCo I don't feel bad saying I think he can be a great head coach.

I know people will say I'm wrong and provide examples of coaches who found success after initially struggling... but in my opinion a good coach should be able to improve a team when they step in. I still hope Bohl is the answer to turn it around, but his inability to improve at least in the short term (regardless of youth, schedule, or any other excuse) is concerning to me personally. I do see positive signs for the future however with young guys making plays and eager recruits.

I don't think the lack of short term improvement warrants being fired and certainly doesn't mean we're (or our coach is) not fit for D1 football, but criticism from fans shouldn't be considered "giving up" and asking if long term success is still possible shouldn't be brushed off by those who are more optomistic.

Then again, maybe finding a coach to give us a quick spark (like Christensen) has proven to not work here over time and this is our next best option...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
CowboyNV wrote:Sanchez is playing virtually all of Hauck's kids. Only one freshman (Lopez) starts on the offense. Six freshmen on the 2nd team offense. Zero freshmen on first team defense, and only one freshman on the 2nd team D. Let's not anoint him king of football quite yet. Let's see how he does recruiting "his players." Hauck actually left him some pretty solid players and he only graduates 4 seniors on the O and 5 on the D. He has a bunch of juniors and sophomores in the starting rotation so he should have a good club with his recruits showing their stuff in 2017 and beyond. Time will tell if he is a great coach or another failed experiment.
Not anointing him, but, the argument of these being Hauck's kids is weak at best. These are Hauck's kids that never really played well and had Hauck been here, it would have likely been same old UNLV. It isn't like UNLV cut bait too early. It isn't like these were highly rated recruiting classes. At the same time, they also haven't really beaten anyone. The SJSU state game is now surprisingly intriguing. They appear to be playing better but the wheels could fall off. I just meant, with this thread, that he appears to be doing pretty well.

I do wonder though, at the end of this year, who will have more total wins at the FBS level: Bohl or Sanchez?
They are still Hauck's recruits and it looks like he had some players to work with.....meaning Hauck did a fair job recruiting and not allowing positions to get thin or bare.

So far he is getting results. So, good for UNLV.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: I know people will say I'm wrong and provide examples of coaches who found success after initially struggling... but in my opinion a good coach should be able to improve a team when they step in.
I couldn't agree more. UNLV has been miserable for a loooooong time. UNLV is a similar or worse situation than ours. The fact is, Hauck's kids are playing better with Sanchez at least thus far.

That could certainly change this week, but so far, a high school coach and a damn good staff are showing promise.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

That's why we need out of the box. 500k a year and a jet for Dave Logan offensive coordinator/Denver recruiting.

Maybe just let him still announce Broncos games and do radio just come to Laramie 4 days a week plus game day. Whatever.

Or maybe he is just waiting for CU to bring him in as head coach. Which this unlv guy will help make that happen sooner.

I'd do it as head coach if he'd take it. If Dave Logan takes over CU, CSU, or Wyoming it's over on recruiting Denver
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

?

UNLV is 1-3 against FBS schools this year.

They are obviously better than we are, but I think it might be premature for all this praise. Ya'll remind me of those people who claimed they knew the ending of The Sixth Sense the first time around...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:?

They are obviously better than we are, but I think it might be premature for all this praise. Ya'll remind me of those people who claimed they knew the ending of The Sixth Sense the first time around...
Have you watched them play at all? Your astute point of, and I'm paraphrasing here, "it is still early" seems to be a bit repetitive from posts above.

Either way, what is clear at this point is that Sanchez and company can run a college program. It will be interesting to see how or if he can sustain momentum throughout the season.

What do you think? At the end of this year who will have more wins at the FBS level, Bohl or Sanchez.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:

What do you think? At the end of this year who will have more wins at the FBS level, Bohl or Sanchez.
"They are obviously better than we are." - that answers your question. Unless you mean total FBS wins, then I'd say Bohl. I don't believe Sanchez gets 4 FBS wins this year.

Being 'good' and being better than Wyoming is not the same thing. Haha.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

"They are obviously better than we are." - that answers your question.

Being 'good' and being better than Wyoming is not the same thing. Haha.
:D True and fair enough.

One thing to consider, however, is they started at a very similar spot. Still way early into Sanchez's tenure and halfway through Bohl's bad year. The next two years will be interesting to watch.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

UNLV definitely playing better with Sanchez and company.