Worst start to a Wyoming season since 1975

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And since I was not here back then and only 12 years old, with the word 'Wyoming' probably not even in my vocabulary, I'd like to know from those who were here, what your remembrances of that particular season were, if you would be kind enough to share them.

Thank you.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

This is worse than 1975 and it isn't even close. We are getting plastered by the worst teams in CFB. At least we were close to FCS and some good teams in 1975. We haven't even belonged on the field in 2015. This will be the worst season in Cowboy football history. Period.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

Fred Akers' 1st year. Fan feelings at the time were mixed as the fired Fritz Shurmer and staff were pretty popular with the Wyoming folk.

Akers brought a largely Texas staff with him to Laramie and installed the wishbone offense. Pokes struggled with the wishbone a bit that year, but were competitive in pretty much all games. Don Clayton settled in at running the bone and was fun to watch, but the highlight of the Pokes was running back Lawrence Gaines. He was definitely one of my most favorite cowboys of all time. The guy was an absolute freight train, literally ran guys over, and it usually took an entire gang to bring him down.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:This is worse than 1975 and it isn't even close. We are getting plastered by the worst teams in CFB. At least we were close to FCS and some good teams in 1975. We haven't even belonged on the field in 2015. This will be the worst season in Cowboy football history. Period.
What about Vic Koenning's 1-10 season in 2000?
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand

This year is pretty much a stand alone, one of a kind year. Never have the Cowboys had a team so unbalanced between upper classmen and lower. It's by far the least experienced and youngest team ever. Better times are around the corner.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:This is worse than 1975 and it isn't even close. We are getting plastered by the worst teams in CFB. At least we were close to FCS and some good teams in 1975. We haven't even belonged on the field in 2015. This will be the worst season in Cowboy football history. Period.
What about Vic Koenning's 1-10 season in 2000?
Lost to Auburn and then beat Cent Mich at home and then lost everything else
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Back before we were blessed by the leadership of Moon and Burman,back in the days of yore, we actually played real football-and I was there boys, I was there.

1975 was a great year for a lot of things, but not UW football. One victory is a bitter pill, no matter who you play. Ill own that I was mighty pissed at the time-but I shoulda treasured those moments-worse was coming.

In 1975 we played a real schedule. That year we played two top 20 teams=and that wasnt unusual for us. We also had a entire slate of decent teams (BYU, U of Colo, Utah). Bad as they were, that ol 1975 team improved with every game they played.

At the end of the season we were in the game with ASU to the last minute on the road and lost by 1 point. It was their Homecoming, they were nationally ranked, and they thought they were going to stomp us. They were bitching about how they didnt have any competition in the conference anymore and we smacked them in the mouth for it. It was a great day. We kinda thought right then that Akers and those kids mighta turned the corner-and they had.

Now, I've travelled to watch Bohl's kids-and would do it again. But-believe me the 1975 team that ended the season that year would steamroll these kids. We aren't a very physical team nowadays. In 75, they were.

Im pretty patient, I dont blame this on Bohl (yet). This all started when Roach left as AD. Tiller was a great coach, and we shoulda done all we could to keep him.
The Dimel and Koening years started this slide-thanks to Moon. And Dubois canned his ass. Dubois then hired Barta-a damned good AD, who was hired away by Iowa when Dubois left.

and so Buchanan hires local boy Buman-from a small time outfit with no winning tradition-Portland state. and Burman runs UW like a small time outfit wit no winning tradition. hes greased the skids on our fall from grace boys, and make no mistake.

We shoulda been patient with Tiller, Dubois and so many others... Hell, I think with a couple more years, even old Joe Glenn could have fixed the holes in his boat, and we'd a been a lot better off than we are today.. So mebbe Bohl might just need time. He isnt the ass that Dimel and DC were..

I told you boys that I thought DC was a terrible hire, yet Burman allowed his chosen one to leave scorched earth and a bare cupboard behind and paid him extra to do it, thanks to that great contract.

and you gotta admit, our current schedule is an embarrassment. When's the last time we played BYU, Colorado and Utah AND two top 20 teams?

This mess is Burman''s.

We'll see how the next two years play out with Bohl. He might be like Akers was in 75, trying to put the wheels on a wagon while its moving. These are our cards, we gotta play em.

I hold the Board of Trustees, Buchannan and the last couple AD's more responsible for this mess than Bohl-he aint been here all that long.Our decline has been pretty steady since Roach left.

I used to think Moon was the worst AD we'd ever see, but even he would schedule the big boys. Burman schedules his buddies in Div II. He has made so many poor hiring decisions and failed to confront people he brought in who are toxic to our kids, and dont even like the state. He's lied repeatedly, and played and thought small-to the point that UW athletics a shell, a laughingstock. He has no damn idea of what excellence means.

Hell we used to shout "We're despicable", and everyone knew we were referring to ourselves,the fans. Because we were kicking butt and taking names on the field.
Nowadays, we dare not yell that at all.
We might as well move down a division if Burman continues to run UW like a Div II school..says "we ae who we are" and means we are a second rate bunch of losers

.and no one holds him accountable at all....damnitall its enough to make an old poke :cry:
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

WyoAlum1987 wrote:Back before we were blessed by the leadership of Moon and Burman,back in the days of yore, we actually played real football-and I was there boys, I was there.

1975 was a great year for a lot of things, but not UW football. One victory is a bitter pill, no matter who you play. Ill own that I was mighty pissed at the time-but I shoulda treasured those moments-worse was coming.

In 1975 we played a real schedule. That year we played two top 20 teams=and that wasnt unusual for us. We also had a entire slate of decent teams (BYU, U of Colo, Utah). Bad as they were, that ol 1975 team improved with every game they played.

At the end of the season we were in the game with ASU to the last minute on the road and lost by 1 point. It was their Homecoming, they were nationally ranked, and they thought they were going to stomp us. They were bitching about how they didnt have any competition in the conference anymore and we smacked them in the mouth for it. It was a great day. We kinda thought right then that Akers and those kids mighta turned the corner-and they had.

Now, I've travelled to watch Bohl's kids-and would do it again. But-believe me the 1975 team that ended the season that year would steamroll these kids. We aren't a very physical team nowadays. In 75, they were.

Im pretty patient, I dont blame this on Bohl (yet). This all started when Roach left as AD. Tiller was a great coach, and we shoulda done all we could to keep him.
The Dimel and Koening years started this slide-thanks to Moon. And Dubois canned his ass. Dubois then hired Barta-a damned good AD, who was hired away by Iowa when Dubois left.

and so Buchanan hires local boy Buman-from a small time outfit with no winning tradition-Portland state. and Burman runs UW like a small time outfit wit no winning tradition. hes greased the skids on our fall from grace boys, and make no mistake.

We shoulda been patient with Tiller, Dubois and so many others... Hell, I think with a couple more years, even old Joe Glenn could have fixed the holes in his boat, and we'd a been a lot better off than we are today.. So mebbe Bohl might just need time. He isnt the ass that Dimel and DC were..

I told you boys that I thought DC was a terrible hire, yet Burman allowed his chosen one to leave scorched earth and a bare cupboard behind and paid him extra to do it, thanks to that great contract.

and you gotta admit, our current schedule is an embarrassment. When's the last time we played BYU, Colorado and Utah AND two top 20 teams?

This mess is Burman''s.

We'll see how the next two years play out with Bohl. He might be like Akers was in 75, trying to put the wheels on a wagon while its moving. These are our cards, we gotta play em.

I hold the Board of Trustees, Buchannan and the last couple AD's more responsible for this mess than Bohl-he aint been here all that long.Our decline has been pretty steady since Roach left.

I used to think Moon was the worst AD we'd ever see, but even he would schedule the big boys. Burman schedules his buddies in Div II. He has made so many poor hiring decisions and failed to confront people he brought in who are toxic to our kids, and dont even like the state. He's lied repeatedly, and played and thought small-to the point that UW athletics a shell, a laughingstock. He has no damn idea of what excellence means.

Hell we used to shout "We're despicable", and everyone knew we were referring to ourselves,the fans. Because we were kicking butt and taking names on the field.
We might as well move down a division if Burman continues to run UW like a Div II school..says "we ae who we are" and means we are a second rate bunch of losers

.and no one holds him accountable at all....damnitall its enough to make an old poke :cry:
Well, I think that pretty much sums it up. The Wyoming poop continues, I just hope Bohl has enough baby wipes to clean it up.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

WyoAlum1987 wrote:Back before we were blessed by the leadership of Moon and Burman,back in the days of yore, we actually played real football-and I was there boys, I was there.

This mess is Burman''s.

Well said, and agreed!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

This mess is Burman''s.

Post of the year! This is probably sums up where Wyoming is at and why we are in the position we are in. Truer words could not have been spoken. Thank you
I'm good for 3!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

WyoAlum1987 wrote:I dont blame this on Bohl (yet). This all started when Roach left as AD. Tiller was a great coach, and we shoulda done all we could to keep him.

This mess is Burman''s.

.and no one holds him accountable at all....damnitall its enough to make an old poke
BOOM! Couldn't agree more and you're just referring to football. What a mess!
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand

This mess is Burman''s.

When is the last time we played two top twenty teams? Um, well last year. A year ago this board was lit up with what the hell is Burman doing scheduling both Oregon and Michigan State. Maybe just a tad bit of selective memory and Burman disdain showing.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

When is the last time we played two top twenty teams? Um, well last year. A year ago this board was lit up with what the hell is Burman doing scheduling both Oregon and Michigan State. Maybe just a tad bit of selective memory and Burman disdain showing.
You just don't get it.

The golden era of Paul Roach is the only thing that is normal.

Everything before and since never happened...or, it's Burman's fault.

Get with the program, man.
evenminded
Buckaroo

snowyrange - I agree with you
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

:rofl: you triggered the Burman Bat signal!

True to form, the Burman cronies come running.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Well, you piss down a hole and sometimes snakes crawl out.
Facts are stubbon things, and if they dont suit some folks, they attack you or find some little thing you said and throw a fit about it.
But facts are facts.
snakes are snakes
Burman drove this thing in the mud.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Boise State is going to be a ∞-point favorite in a few weeks. Can't believe Air Force is a 22-point favorite. I doubt we ever see a season quite this bad at UW again.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:Boise State is going to be a ∞-point favorite in a few weeks. Can't believe Air Force is a 22-point favorite. I doubt we ever see a season quite this bad at UW again.
For Air Force, not as high on them as I was earlier in the season. They got destroyed by Navy and turned the ball over 5 times.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:For Air Force, not as high on them as I was earlier in the season. They got destroyed by Navy and turned the ball over 5 times.
Yeah, outside of BSU...the other MW schools are taking turns "impressing" and disappointing. It changes every week. I think UW can cover that spread, Hill will eat those guys alive.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Hey guys, I saw the Burman bat signal... lol... but in all seriousness, our athletic department is run like a used car dealership in Rock Springs.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.