Horrific mistakes

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Huddled around my phone with my two boys, we watched ESPN's GameTracker dutifully throughout the game. It is a pretty sober way to see a game, because there is no emotion...just words and basic graphics.

My takeaways from the game epitomize the season:

1) Why can't we be ready for the first play of the game?
2) I have never seen a team in more second and third and 20 yards or more situations, ever. Penalties, sacks...ugh.
3) Cam. Oh Cam. Good completion percentage. Good yardage. But locking into your receiver leads to sacks and, worse yet, 14 point swings for a team that is on the ropes mentally.
4) Our running game is emerging, but mental mistakes with penalties and turnovers has gutted it along the way. When you are behind the sticks, you cannot grind.
5) We are really young. But that excuse is rapidly diminishing. They are 5 games in and still blowing huge holes in their feet with regularity. I can see gaffes here and there, but oh my.
6) And this is the most important point...these kids have not given up and are learning. You see glimmers of improvement and maturation. But for a 14 point swing with the interception and pick 6 from our redzone and another fumble on 4th and 1 in the redzone, this is a different game. Our defense was much improved, at least watching GameCast and the fact that their punter actually had to play in the game.

In my view, being CSU would be a worse plight...which is always true but especially so this year. They are underachieving with talent all over the place. They are squandering great players and regressing in a way that has the fans finally recognizing the Mac was their team. They may make a Bowl, but it will be a huge step backwards.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Ugh. agree. Opening play of the game? Ouch.

That pick six was horrible. Horrible. Horrible.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote:Huddled around my phone with my two boys, we watched ESPN's GameTracker dutifully throughout the game. It is a pretty sober way to see a game, because there is no emotion...just words and basic graphics.

2) I have never seen a team in more second and third and 20 yards or more situations, ever. Penalties, sacks...ugh.
3) Cam. Oh Cam. Good completion percentage. Good yardage. But locking into your receiver leads to sacks and, worse yet, 14 point swings for a team that is on the ropes mentally.
4) Our running game is emerging, but mental mistakes with penalties and turnovers has gutted it along the way. When you are behind the sticks, you cannot grind.
5) We are really young. But that excuse is rapidly diminishing. They are 5 games in and still blowing huge holes in their feet with regularity. I can see gaffes here and there, but oh my.
6) And this is the most important point...these kids have not given up and are learning. You see glimmers of improvement and maturation. But for a 14 point swing with the interception and pick 6 from our redzone and another fumble on 4th and 1 in the redzone, this is a different game. Our defense was much improved, at least watching GameCast and the fact that their punter actually had to play in the game.

In my view, being CSU would be a worse plight...which is always true but especially so this year. They are underachieving with talent all over the place. They are squandering great players and regressing in a way that has the fans finally recognizing the Mac was their team. They may make a Bowl, but it will be a huge step backwards.
Mac being 5-0 in The Swamp has definitely shown me that McElwain was their team.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
LawPoke wrote:Huddled around my phone with my two boys, we watched ESPN's GameTracker dutifully throughout the game. It is a pretty sober way to see a game, because there is no emotion...just words and basic graphics.

Mac being 5-0 in The Swamp has definitely shown me that McElwain was their team.
CSU knew that and were not willing to budge on the buyout, I can't blame them. He is a heck of a coach and will continue to have success wherever he goes.
I'm good for 3!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:Mac being 5-0 in The Swamp has definitely shown me that McElwain was their team.
What? Everyone knows you have to go 0FerASeason to truly be building something!
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

It's quite possible -- just possible -- that Florida's #3 recruiting class in the country in 2012 makes that easier.

But, what do I know?
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Our current talent level makes the margin for error extremely small. We can't overcome losing the TO battle or the play calling battle between coaches. I think this team can win this year but they really have to close those gaps. It's going to take an excellently called game/gameplan from our coaching staff and maybe a flawless execution day from our offense. The defense is at least starting to play with a pulse a little. Surely they have to be sick of being called a total joke. It's looking like they could play well enough to steal a win, but that too will come from coaching as well. They are also gonna have to make some plays that day. A sack or two??? A fumble or int. Sniffing out stuff for a few stops.

In short-EVERYONE is gonna have to step it up for a win.Please make it against Air Force because I hate them.
Riding High!!!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

SnowyRange wrote:
It's quite possible -- just possible -- that Florida's #3 recruiting class in the country in 2012 makes that easier.

But, what do I know?
...and we're not beating down #3 Miss, but rather getting shellacked by a 1AA, a team that was very recently 1AA, and teams that should probably be 1AA.

But, what do I know?
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

...and we're not beating down #3 Miss, but rather getting shellacked by a 1AA, a team that was very recently 1AA, and teams that should probably be 1AA.

But, what do I know?
I have no idea what that has to do with why Florida does better, but....carry on!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Mac being 5-0 in The Swamp has definitely shown me that McElwain was their team.
No one has said that. Not a single one.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

This kills us. It takes 10 min for the team to realize this isn't a scrimmage.
SlowPoke
Buckaroo

Remaining positive......the pokes are starting from scratch. Strong freshmen presence, short on experience. Yet tough to watch new birth....guess that's why they don't want fathers in the nursery.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: This kills us. It takes 10 min for the team to realize this isn't a scrimmage.
Very true statement. Our sleepwalking into games is a major issue and has been since game 1. So which wyonation board member is going to have to address the team before the game? Some of you had to take public speaking no doubt. We might need it. Where is that initial fire for the game???? I know we have zero momentum but goddamn somebody fire some asses up to play.
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: This kills us. It takes 10 min for the team to realize this isn't a scrimmage.
Very true statement. Our sleepwalking into games is a major issue and has been since game 1. So which wyonation board member is going to have to address the team before the game? Some of you had to take public speaking no doubt. We might need it. Where is that initial fire for the game???? I know we have zero momentum but goddamn somebody fire some asses up to play.
It drives me crazy. The game's been over 1/2 through the first quarter 4 out of five games.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

And to that effect we always defer possession when we win the toss and send our defense out there while they're still asleep, and then the offense is working from behind the rest of the way. We're setting the tone, but in the opposite way that we want... and then we get the ball at half, drive down to the redzone, and end up with no points. :brick:
We really screwed ourselves with the kicker situation. :deadhorse1:
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

at least the sheeeep are losing too, lol