The Bohl and Strong approach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
TheCup wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Fanboys, I know I know, DC blew everything up and Bohl is simply putting pieces back together, but shove off--that is a topic for another thread.
Count me as one who has never completely bought this argument that DC fouled the bed so completely that 0-5 was inevitable this year. Does anyone really think any of DC's teams would be 0-5 against this competition?

I'm no fan of DC. I wanted him fired two years before he was because the writing on the wall was clear as day. I just don't think his recruiting was so bad that what we're seeing this year was inevitable. I think it has more to do with Bohl and staff running kids off (some necessary, of course) and recruiting an entirely different kind of player.
I think DC would have more wins, in shootout fashion. We could win (sometimes) without any defense whatsoever with DC. It was just so hit and miss and dependent on our offense firing on all cylinders.

The type of game Bohl wants is more consistent and requires a defense. I think it's easier to improve an offense simply through X's and O's than it is to improve a defense.
I disagree quite a bit. DC never made adjustments, never developed players, and the linemen were pushed around worse than our sub-200lbs DEs are. And that means both sides. If DC's players couldn't "out athlete" the other team's players, we were lucky to get 7 points a game and not go "run pass pass punt" in about 20 seconds each drive against teams that had any pulse on defense.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Interesting philosophy, Fresno State's coach DeRuyter has been doing the same thing in the last 2 seasons (weeding out the weak, undisciplined) and they've gotten much worse every season since. Time will tell if he gets as much time as Bohl will to fix that team.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:Interesting philosophy, Fresno State's coach DeRuyter has been doing the same thing in the last 2 seasons (weeding out the weak, undisciplined) and they've gotten much worse every season since. Time will tell if he gets as much time as Bohl will to fix that team.
Unlike Bohl though, the only real playmakers DeRuyter has had were Pat Hill recruits. Bohl has already had a few standout playmakers.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

GOWYO wrote:

Oh, and, dear moderators, I would like to make a motion: "I move that until we get a W, the phrase "Cowboy Tough" is added to the banned word list. It is silly, tired, old, and obviously an empty statement at this point. It is a phrase that should be earned and not tossed around willy nilly"

Can I get a second?

Amen. (First time quoting anything, so I may screw this up...) I HATE the phrase "Cowboy Tough." Because, of course, football is a sissy sport for most ;-) By it's very nature you have to be tough to play football. And the idea that Wyoming Football is or ever has been unique in this area is ludicrous. Some Wyoming fans imagine that we beat UCLA or somebody because while our boys were sitting in their three-point stances thinking about bucking bails and roping calves, the UCLA guys were thinking about surfing and bikinis.
:lol: ^ It's true...
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
TheCup wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Fanboys, I know I know, DC blew everything up and Bohl is simply putting pieces back together, but shove off--that is a topic for another thread.
Count me as one who has never completely bought this argument that DC fouled the bed so completely that 0-5 was inevitable this year. Does anyone really think any of DC's teams would be 0-5 against this competition?

I'm no fan of DC. I wanted him fired two years before he was because the writing on the wall was clear as day. I just don't think his recruiting was so bad that what we're seeing this year was inevitable. I think it has more to do with Bohl and staff running kids off (some necessary, of course) and recruiting an entirely different kind of player.
I think DC would have more wins, in shootout fashion. We could win (sometimes) without any defense whatsoever with DC. It was just so hit and miss and dependent on our offense firing on all cylinders.

The type of game Bohl wants is more consistent and requires a defense. I think it's easier to improve an offense simply through X's and O's than it is to improve a defense.
I disagree quite a bit. DC never made adjustments, never developed players, and the linemen were pushed around worse than our sub-200lbs DEs are. And that means both sides. If DC's players couldn't "out athlete" the other team's players, we were lucky to get 7 points a game and not go "run pass pass punt" in about 20 seconds each drive against teams that had any pulse on defense.
I don't think you disagree with me at all. You just described the "hit and miss" that I talked about. We would've beaten UND, App St, & Eastern Michigan at this point with DC's players & scheme. I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it worked (or the most part) against schools with the similar quality athletes.

We don't know what our offense would do against someone with a pulse this year. We haven't played one. Ha.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

No... I say COWBOY TOUGH!!! I see freshman, RS fresh, and Soph holding their own against junior and senior heavy teams.

Yes, I know other teams have young guys playing, but not like us...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

To be certain, the rest of the MWC loves our version of Cowboy Tough.

Ban it, burn it, dump it, nuke it, abandon it, abolish it, forget about it, bury it, send it to the moon.

Only bring it out once an opposing player, coach, or fanbase say "You never like losing but it is much worse when you are totally dominated. Hats off to those guys, they are tough bunch of Cowboys."

This self-anointed rah rah crap needs to end immediately. It is nothing short of embarrassing. Be quiet, work hard, take our lumps, and earn a reputation when we get good. That is the true Wyoming way.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Interesting philosophy, Fresno State's coach DeRuyter has been doing the same thing in the last 2 seasons (weeding out the weak, undisciplined) and they've gotten much worse every season since. Time will tell if he gets as much time as Bohl will to fix that team.
I was trying to remember, was Locksley also along these lines as well or did he try to appease the players he inherited? For some reason, I thought I remembered him banging the discipline drum and cleaning house?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:No... I say COWBOY TOUGH!!! I see freshman, RS fresh, and Soph holding their own against junior and senior heavy teams.

Could you define "holding their own?" I see a team that is for the most part getting manhandled by every team on the schedule.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

calpoke25 wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:No... I say COWBOY TOUGH!!! I see freshman, RS fresh, and Soph holding their own against junior and senior heavy teams.

Could you define "holding their own?" I see a team that is for the most part getting manhandled by every team on the schedule.
Maybe he means none of our players have died on the field, or the opposing team hasn't hit triple digits.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

TheCup wrote:

If anyone cares Sam Hardy is starting at right tackle for Sam Houston State and they are doing pretty damn good. I know he had some issues at WYO but just goes to show you that he was a quality player all-be-it somewhat of a Thug. But he didn't fit what Bohl wanted in Wyoming
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Slow Hand wrote: If anyone cares Sam Hardy is starting at right tackle for Sam Houston State and they are doing pretty damn good. I know he had some issues at WYO but just goes to show you that he was a quality player all-be-it somewhat of a Thug. But he didn't fit what Bohl wanted in Wyoming
I would actually expect that virtually every Wyoming recruit (whether they can cut it at Wyoming or not) should be able to transfer and start at the FCS level.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
TheCup wrote:

I don't think you disagree with me at all. You just described the "hit and miss" that I talked about. We would've beaten UND, App St, & Eastern Michigan at this point with DC's players & scheme. I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it worked (or the most part) against schools with the similar quality athletes.

We don't know what our offense would do against someone with a pulse this year. We haven't played one. Ha.
Who is playing linebacker and who are the db's for those DC team to win?
TheCup
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote: We have 5 contributing seniors on the team. And half the junior who are contributing, are playing out of position. Beside all the seniors Bohl inherited last year.....there was no linebacker depth behind those guys. That is poop recruiting Cup...poop.
I don't disagree with you at all. Outside of the QB position, DC never showed the ability to recruit a wet fart with a bag full of beans.

I guess my concern is that EVERY coach has hit a few home runs on the recruiting trail, so we shouldn't fall in love with Bohl simply because he signed Hill and Wingard. DC recruited Brett Smith. Glenn recruited more pros than any UW coach in recent history. Vic recruited Jovon Bouknight.

I value tough guys and guys who stick it out and all of that. But I also value coaches who learn and adapt. Anyone think Larry Shyatt wanted to run a slow, low possession offense his first few years back? No way. But he adapted what he wanted to fit the personnel we had.

I know football is different. But if you ask me, Bohl would have done himself some favors to bend his ways a little bit, especially if you accept that the spin we get on all of these departures is true - that most of these kids weren't tough enough, that they didn't like this smash mouth stuff, that they couldn't handle the War Daddy lifting program, etc...

We'd be in a better spot if Bohl had been able to "re-recruit" Brett to come back for his senior year. And we'd be in a better spot if we hadn't had so much attrition, especially on the offensive line. We just would be. I know there are reasons these things happened. But they DID happen. And we ARE 0-5. You are what your record says you are.

I know Bohl and the PR department over there are saying it was necessary to burn the thing down and build a new foundation. But we're digging that foundation awfully goddamn deep. If this staff isn't careful the water is going to come in over their heads. I'm not saying Bohl should have turned into a big softie and given these guys anything they wanted. But poop fire, we're the worst team in the country right now and it didn't necessarily have to be this way.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote: If anyone cares Sam Hardy is starting at right tackle for Sam Houston State and they are doing pretty damn good. I know he had some issues at WYO but just goes to show you that he was a quality player all-be-it somewhat of a Thug. But he didn't fit what Bohl wanted in Wyoming
I would actually expect that virtually every Wyoming recruit (whether they can cut it at Wyoming or not) should be able to transfer and start at the FCS level.
Signed UND.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Aways an issue with a coaching change...however, one could argue that people left or were run off that weren't a fit in the new system spread vs current.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
TheCup wrote:

Except it was more "miss and miss" than "hit and miss". And last year showed pretty well our depth behind the starting LBs and DBs, virtually non-existent.
The only time DC really beat a FCS team was Northern Colorado, which is basically a Div 2 team in FCS with few (if any) athletes. All other times we barely edged FCS teams out.
App. State's defense, with smaller guys up front, would have been another 7 point game (total) for DC, as half way decent pass rushers would almost always blow through the line. With 3 guys rushing.
EMU? Because of a "high octane offense" that DC supposedly ran? If EMU's defense figured out DC's scheme, that would be it for the offense, as DC never made adjustments and the offense would go 3 and out in about 30 seconds and the defense would be gashed either way. Possibly worse.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: I'm patient, but if this isn't turned around by year 4, I'll be singing the same tune as many already are just half way into year #2.
Oh, and, dear moderators, I would like to make a motion: "I move that until we get a W, the phrase "Cowboy Tough" is added to the banned word list. It is silly, tired, old, and obviously an empty statement at this point. It is a phrase that should be earned and not tossed around willy nilly"

Can I get a second?
Seconded. And no War Daddy Up stuff either. Maybe "Cowboy Fluff" or "Cowboy Powder Puff."
That's too far. It is time to turn in your Cowboy fan card. I'd bet the Dakota's would have a team you could associate with and cheer for and be happy with.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:To be certain, the rest of the MWC loves our version of Cowboy Tough.

Ban it, burn it, dump it, nuke it, abandon it, abolish it, forget about it, bury it, send it to the moon.

Only bring it out once an opposing player, coach, or fanbase say "You never like losing but it is much worse when you are totally dominated. Hats off to those guys, they are tough bunch of Cowboys."

This self-anointed rah rah crap needs to end immediately. It is nothing short of embarrassing. Be quiet, work hard, take our lumps, and earn a reputation when we get good. That is the true Wyoming way.
I know its a rough season - but damn - give it a rest. Its marketing - every institution in the country does it. Every business does it. Some government agencies do it. These kids need a reason to go out and play every game. The coaches do what they can do to get them up for the games. Expecting them to go out there and show no emotion after a win or loss is unrealistic. Its also unrealistic to not realize the fans are going to be upset this year either. Take a few deep breaths - it is just marketing.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

TheCup wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: We have 5 contributing seniors on the team. And half the junior who are contributing, are playing out of position. Beside all the seniors Bohl inherited last year.....there was no linebacker depth behind those guys. That is poop recruiting Cup...poop.
I don't disagree with you at all. Outside of the QB position, DC never showed the ability to recruit a wet fart with a bag full of beans.

I guess my concern is that EVERY coach has hit a few home runs on the recruiting trail, so we shouldn't fall in love with Bohl simply because he signed Hill and Wingard. DC recruited Brett Smith. Glenn recruited more pros than any UW coach in recent history. Vic recruited Jovon Bouknight.

I value tough guys and guys who stick it out and all of that. But I also value coaches who learn and adapt. Anyone think Larry Shyatt wanted to run a slow, low possession offense his first few years back? No way. But he adapted what he wanted to fit the personnel we had.

I know football is different. But if you ask me, Bohl would have done himself some favors to bend his ways a little bit, especially if you accept that the spin we get on all of these departures is true - that most of these kids weren't tough enough, that they didn't like this smash mouth stuff, that they couldn't handle the War Daddy lifting program, etc...

We'd be in a better spot if Bohl had been able to "re-recruit" Brett to come back for his senior year. And we'd be in a better spot if we hadn't had so much attrition, especially on the offensive line. We just would be. I know there are reasons these things happened. But they DID happen. And we ARE 0-5. You are what your record says you are.

I know Bohl and the PR department over there are saying it was necessary to burn the thing down and build a new foundation. But we're digging that foundation awfully goddamn deep. If this staff isn't careful the water is going to come in over their heads. I'm not saying Bohl should have turned into a big softie and given these guys anything they wanted. But poop fire, we're the worst team in the country right now and it didn't necessarily have to be this way.
It makes you wonder. I certainly understand wanting bigger guys on the lines and faster guys in the backfields (being overly generic here), but I have to wonder about it. He could have kept the spread offense going for another year while he redshirted guys behind that season.

I don't think it matters much now though. DC left the defense empty. Offense had some pretty darn good players that were recruited for the spread - and they didn't fit this system much at all.

Hindsight is 20/20 - but DC really needed BCS level talent to cover up the errors in his ways. He couldn't develop the players like someone at Wyoming really needs to be able to do.

I think Bohl can do it. However, he has dug such a big hole this year, he better start digging out or this program may die a horrible death. But who knows, maybe this team will gel and start to click this Saturday. That would be great!