The Bohl and Strong approach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm in no way comparing our program to TX but, to me, the approach by Strong and Bohl seem similar. 1 true recruiting class and the "best players" are Freshmen. Obviously the pressures at TX are a different beast and they can pick recruits, so lots of differences. However, I think Strong and Bohl have approached the "rebuild" in similar fashions. Both come in with a hard nose approach stressing integrity and academics. Both kind of blow things up and rebuild from scratch. Fanboys, I know I know, DC blew everything up and Bohl is simply putting pieces back together, but shove off--that is a topic for another thread. Both have had quite a bit of attrition and both are suffering some of the worst years in each program's history.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but it is kind of interesting to see this approach at two different levels of FBS football.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Now we need to follow Texas' approach in one more way... Fire our AD haha
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

One thing Bohl is doing that the previous staffs didn't IMO, is building a tougher team. I think this is the reason for the large number of players we've seen leave. They weren't used to the rigors that Bohl's has put them through. Many didn't like it and left. The players who remain will be the "Cowboy Tough" players we want to see in the program. Unfortunately, most of these guys are young (like most of our team).

The past two games have given me hope that things are heading in the right direction. Out gained both New Mexico and App State, but dumb mistakes and big plays (many by our senior QB) took a win away from us.

I'm patient, but if this isn't turned around by year 4, I'll be singing the same tune as many already are just half way into year #2.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: I'm patient, but if this isn't turned around by year 4, I'll be singing the same tune as many already are just half way into year #2.
You keep saying this, but I've yet to see MANY who are advocating anything less than 4 years. There are maybe 2 or 3.

Anyway, the main point of the thread is the similarities in approaches by the two coaches. The rest has been hashed and re-hashed.

Oh, and, dear moderators, I would like to make a motion: "I move that until we get a W, the phrase "Cowboy Tough" is added to the banned word list. It is silly, tired, old, and obviously an empty statement at this point. It is a phrase that should be earned and not tossed around willy nilly"

Can I get a second?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

So Bohl's high atrition rate is due to players not being tough enough for him and that is a good thing to weed out soft players but when DC was losing players everyone was freaking out and saying it was a sign of a bad coach and it was obvious players hated playing for him.

For the record I am not concerned about players leaving and I wasn't when it happened under DC. Need to find the right group of players and sometimes you don't know till you show up on campus. I also have been seeing improvement from the team and seeing some rays of hope and think we will win a game or 2 this year.

I just wanted to point out a lot of things we saw under DC we are seeing under Bohl and its things people killed DC for but let slide now with Bohl(or praise him). Not my intention to single you out Jimmy as I agree with some of what you say but just something I have noticed from people around here.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:So Bohl's high atrition rate is due to players not being tough enough for him and that is a good thing to weed out soft players but when DC was losing players everyone was freaking out and saying it was a sign of a bad coach and it was obvious players hated playing for him.

For the record I am not concerned about players leaving and I wasn't when it happened under DC. Need to find the right group of players and sometimes you don't know till you show up on campus. I also have been seeing improvement from the team and seeing some rays of hope and think we will win a game or 2 this year.

I just wanted to point out a lot of things we saw under DC we are seeing under Bohl and its things people killed DC for but let slide now with Bohl(or praise him). Not my intention to single you out Jimmy as I agree with some of what you say but just something I have noticed from people around here.
It is okay if you single me out, but I would guarantee I wasn't talking poop about DC (I'm pretty much a sunshine pumper until I see no hope....then I am on that coaches ass (Schroyer). But honestly, I don't remember much attrition when DC took over. He was handed a pretty loaded team....brought in ACS, and was able to get to a bowl in his 1st year.

The true test of a coach isn't how they do with the former coaches recruits, it is what they can do with their own. DC had 5 years and during those 5 years there was a steady decline in the product on the field......and a steep decline on the defensive side of the ball. The same can be said for the Tim DeyRuter at Fresno. That is why time is needed.....to either prove Bohl can coach at this level or for him to get off the pot.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, here's a difference TSpoke, under DC Tashaun Gipson cut ties after he graduated and the team constantly quit on DC (a few players didn't, but that was more because they were the kind that didn't quit when playing). I have yet to see this team quit in a single game since Bohl and staff have taken over, and Tashaun renewed his ties to the school.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Well, here's a difference TSpoke, under DC Tashaun Gipson cut ties after he graduated and the team constantly quit on DC (a few players didn't, but that was more because they were the kind that didn't quit when playing). I have yet to see this team quit in a single game since Bohl and staff have taken over, and Tashaun renewed his ties to the school.
+1
TheCup
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Fanboys, I know I know, DC blew everything up and Bohl is simply putting pieces back together, but shove off--that is a topic for another thread.
Count me as one who has never completely bought this argument that DC fouled the bed so completely that 0-5 was inevitable this year. Does anyone really think any of DC's teams would be 0-5 against this competition?

I'm no fan of DC. I wanted him fired two years before he was because the writing on the wall was clear as day. I just don't think his recruiting was so bad that what we're seeing this year was inevitable. I think it has more to do with Bohl and staff running kids off (some necessary, of course) and recruiting an entirely different kind of player.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

TheCup wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Fanboys, I know I know, DC blew everything up and Bohl is simply putting pieces back together, but shove off--that is a topic for another thread.
Count me as one who has never completely bought this argument that DC fouled the bed so completely that 0-5 was inevitable this year. Does anyone really think any of DC's teams would be 0-5 against this competition?

I'm no fan of DC. I wanted him fired two years before he was because the writing on the wall was clear as day. I just don't think his recruiting was so bad that what we're seeing this year was inevitable. I think it has more to do with Bohl and staff running kids off (some necessary, of course) and recruiting an entirely different kind of player.
If Bohl had all of DC's recruits at his disposal he wouldn't be 0-5 either. The vast majority pussed out and quit.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:Well, here's a difference TSpoke, under DC Tashaun Gipson cut ties after he graduated and the team constantly quit on DC (a few players didn't, but that was more because they were the kind that didn't quit when playing). I have yet to see this team quit in a single game since Bohl and staff have taken over, and Tashaun renewed his ties to the school.
Well thats a different issue. I'm talking about players leaving in the offseason. I remember people bitching every December about the number of players leaving the team and how it was so much higher than normal and obviously a bad sign for the coaching staff. Not claiming DC was a good coach or Bohl is a bad one just pointing out things we do as fans where we can perceive the same action with totally different perspectives.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

TheCup wrote:

If DC had the players that are currently on the roster, he'd be getting beat worse that we are now IMO. We are talking the exact same rosters as Bohl is working with right now.

We have 5 contributing seniors on the team. And half the junior who are contributing, are playing out of position. Beside all the seniors Bohl inherited last year.....there was no linebacker depth behind those guys. That is poop recruiting Cup...poop.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:
Well thats a different issue. I'm talking about players leaving in the offseason. I remember people bitching every December about the number of players leaving the team and how it was so much higher than normal and obviously a bad sign for the coaching staff. Not claiming DC was a good coach or Bohl is a bad one just pointing out things we do as fans where we can perceive the same action with totally different perspectives.
I can show you the depth chart that DC had his first year....it was loaded with juniors and seniors. Who is it that we lost? I'm sure there was some attrition, but not much.
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Oh, and, dear moderators, I would like to make a motion: "I move that until we get a W, the phrase "Cowboy Tough" is added to the banned word list. It is silly, tired, old, and obviously an empty statement at this point. It is a phrase that should be earned and not tossed around willy nilly"

Can I get a second?

Amen. (First time quoting anything, so I may screw this up...) I HATE the phrase "Cowboy Tough." Because, of course, football is a sissy sport for most ;-) By it's very nature you have to be tough to play football. And the idea that Wyoming Football is or ever has been unique in this area is ludicrous. Some Wyoming fans imagine that we beat UCLA or somebody because while our boys were sitting in their three-point stances thinking about bucking bails and roping calves, the UCLA guys were thinking about surfing and bikinis.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Cowboy Tough is something that's in you, it can't be mined, it can't be instilled upon someone you either have it or you don't and wanna be here!!!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
I can show you the depth chart that DC had his first year....it was loaded with juniors and seniors. Who is it that we lost? I'm sure there was some attrition, but not much.
Sorry, I didn't neccasarily mean his first year and losing Glenn recruits but there were some that left(Stutz). I meant players leaving in general. I was thinking more of the year we lost Gary, Tooley, ACS and a couple others then the next year we lost Doctson, Pittser and a few others. I went back and looked at some old posts and the reaction wasn't quite as bad as I remember. There was some bitching but still plenty of people reacting the same as we are reacting now.

I think bottom line is players transfer and quit, both during a coaching change and other times as well. its always gonna happen.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: I'm patient, but if this isn't turned around by year 4, I'll be singing the same tune as many already are just half way into year #2.

Can I get a second?
Seconded. And no War Daddy Up stuff either. Maybe "Cowboy Fluff" or "Cowboy Powder Puff."
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

TSpoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
TSpoke wrote:
Sorry, I didn't neccasarily mean his first year and losing Glenn recruits but there were some that left(Stutz). I meant players leaving in general. I was thinking more of the year we lost Gary, Tooley, ACS and a couple others then the next year we lost Doctson, Pittser and a few others. I went back and looked at some old posts and the reaction wasn't quite as bad as I remember. There was some bitching but still plenty of people reacting the same as we are reacting now.

I think bottom line is players transfer and quit, both during a coaching change and other times as well. its always gonna happen.
Man, what I wouldn't give to have Doctson back. That man is KILLING IT at TCU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote:Cowboy Tough is something that's in you, it can't be mined, it can't be instilled upon someone you either have it or you don't and wanna be here!!!!!
No it isn't. It is a slogan that goes on T-shirts. I'm tired of slogans and rah, rah. I'll take Ws.

Cowboy Tough is right up there with Powder River Let er buck and whatever other thing that we look ridiculous yelling while getting our tail kicked.

Put the slogans to bed. Burn the T-shirts.

This is Wyoming. You want to know what a Wyoming value is?
Talk is about as useful as a bucket of piss.
You can't talk a post hole dug.
etc. etc.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

TheCup wrote:

I think DC would have more wins, in shootout fashion. We could win (sometimes) without any defense whatsoever with DC. It was just so hit and miss and dependent on our offense firing on all cylinders.

The type of game Bohl wants is more consistent and requires a defense. I think it's easier to improve an offense simply through X's and O's than it is to improve a defense.

What worries me most is that Bohl is unwelcome to the evolution of the game. He wants old school smash mouth football, which is great, but when our opponent has the ball and wants to spread us out....we have no control over what's smash mouth or not. We can only be smash mouth if we have the ball.

Gary Patterson was historically a defensive guy. A smash mouth guy. Look at his team now. Shootouts left and right. He adapted to the game around him.