Linebacker/Kick Returners

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

DJ May has now been announced the returner on both punts and kickoffs (Gentry no longer to field punts for the time being).

As a bright spot, DJ May has been impressive in the return game this year. Can anyone name any other successful linebacker/kick returners in either the college or pro game?? It is so unusual and I can't think of any in recent memory.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:DJ May has now been announced the returner on both punts and kickoffs (Gentry no longer to field punts for the time being).

As a bright spot, DJ May has been impressive in the return game this year. Can anyone name any other successful linebacker/kick returners in either the college or pro game?? It is so unusual and I can't think of any in recent memory.
Maybe Urlacker...the dude did everything.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:DJ May has now been announced the returner on both punts and kickoffs (Gentry no longer to field punts for the time being).

Gentry is a very good receiver, but just has not really been very strong at returning kicks and punts.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:

I don't remember Urlacher returning kicks but I do remember him scoring multiple receiving touchdowns against us and intercepting passes along with leading the nation in tackles.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

I don't remember Urlacher returning kicks but I do remember him scoring multiple receiving touchdowns against us and intercepting passes along with leading the nation in tackles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Urlacher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Urlacher" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
\Wow, 5 return TDs! When Urlacher turned pro he was listed at 6'4 258 lbs. I believe May is listed at 5'11 194 lbs. They both played a linebacker/safety/nickel back mix.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I love Gentry, just wish he had a bit more speed on returning kicks, but we'll take what we have
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Bohl said the reason Gentry was pulled from returning is because he has been playing too much and they didn't want to burn him out. His number of plays was getting to be too much.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Ghali Muhammad was a LB and returned kicks
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:Ghali Muhammad was a LB and returned kicks
Good call. Similar to DJ May. Linebacker turned running back turned linebacker. Started returning kicks when he became a RB and continued returning when he became a linebacker.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

JimmyDimes wrote:

Urlacher was a safety at New Mexico, though