If not Bohl, them who?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Let me start by saying I'm still a Bohl supporter. I believe you have to wait till his first recruiting class (and I'm counting 2015 as his first class not 2014 since he stayed at NDSU and got a late start) are seniors to make a judgment. And by then I believe we will be competitive in the Mountain West.

My question is, if we do have make a coaching change in 2019ish what the heck do you look for? FCS champion coaches haven't worked, FBS coordinators haven't worked. I guess we try a head coach thats flamed out at a bigger school? My fear is that Wyoming will be seen as a career killer and coaches won't want to come here. Almost reminds me of the Rockies trying to land a pitcher. Let's not forget when Bohl was hired this was considered a home run no doubt hire and most around the country couldn't believe he "settled" for wyo. If Bohl can't win here, who can? And with the gap between the have's and the have-not's getting bigger by the day in college football, to go along with with our recruiting disadvantages is winning even possible?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

You've touched on a lot of topics that concern me with any future coaching hires. Any people in the "get rid of Bohl now" camp, aren't aware of the reality of college football. If we were to get rid of him now, as respected as he is in the coaching community, we wouldn't get a coach worth a damn to even sniff the job unless we through a TON of $$$ at them.

Your questions refers to 2019, so you are more in the realm of reasonability. I am certainly hoping that by 2019 we are all singing CB's praises and begging athletic director Joe Glenn to extend his contract through 2030. BUT for the sake of argument, if things don't work out, my guess is our best bet will be with an up and comer in the ranks. Someone that today is just a position coach or new coordinator, but by 2018-19 will be a HC with 1-2 years of big success behind them. That or a head coach that has had moderate success at the big time but the success wan't quite big enough, quite fast enough...ala a Bo Pelini type. Because I highly doubt that if Bohl doesn't work, our new AD will not be stupid enough to go back to the FCS level for the next hire.

In summary, go Craig Bohl, make this all a moot point.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:You've touched on a lot of topics that concern me with any future coaching hires. Any people in the "get rid of Bohl now" camp, aren't aware of the reality of college football. If we were to get rid of him now, as respected as he is in the coaching community, we wouldn't get a coach worth a damn to even sniff the job unless we through a TON of $$$ at them.

Your questions refers to 2019, so you are more in the realm of reasonability. I am certainly hoping that by 2019 we are all singing CB's praises and begging athletic director Joe Glenn to extend his contract through 2030. BUT for the sake of argument, if things don't work out, my guess is our best bet will be with an up and comer in the ranks. Someone that today is just a position coach or new coordinator, but by 2018-19 will be a HC with 1-2 years of big success behind them. That or a head coach that has had moderate success at the big time but the success wan't quite big enough, quite fast enough...ala a Bo Pelini type. Because I highly doubt that if Bohl doesn't work, our new AD will not be stupid enough to go back to the FCS level for the next hire.

In summary, go Craig Bohl, make this all a moot point.
Good post....Bohl needs more than 16 games and 1 1/2 recruiting classes. People are too quick to judge and too quick to make hasty decisions now days. Let's stay the course and see what Bohl can do. I much prefer being a sunshine pumper for Bohl than to be a critical little Nancy at this point in his tenure.

And Joe Glenn as AD would be awesome.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I think he turns it around. Needs better coordinators. Recruiting is the key and looks like he in the upswing.

had to hire a new one?

1- Dave Logan

2- Samoan who was dc at Utah and just went to Oregon state
TheCup
Ranch Hand

If Bohl doesn't develop a consistent winner by 2019 it's time to think seriously about considering a different model for the athletics department. We've been told ad nauseum that two things will never happen: Wyoming will never spend Boise State type money on football and Wyoming will never drop down to FCS.

Ok. Fine. But you can't keep throwing good money after bad forever. If Bohl doesn't develop a winner by 2019 or 2020 we should consider running the football program on about half what we do now - say around $3.5 million/year. This would be about what schools like Appalachian State spend. If we get lucky every once in a while, great. But then let's plus up the basketball budget to make that program one of the best in the west. No reason we couldn't develop a Gonzaga type program here given the resources.

This is all going to be moot, anyway. Conferences will realign by then and Wyoming football will no longer even technically be playing for the same trophy as the P5 schools. Wyoming will have some interesting choices to make when that happens.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

First point is that the fanboys interpret concern or questioning of method as people getting pitchforks and torches ready to run Bohl out of town. There are actually VERY FEW people who are not on board with Bohl through at minimum 2 more years.

I have long contended that our issues at Wyoming are far deeper than the coach hired. To answer your question directly, if in 4 years Bohl is still struggling but is running a classy program, then the Athletic Department needs an overhaul.

The new AD should make a judgement on Bohl based on level of progress, does it "feel like WYO is about break through", etc.

Even more important than Bohl at the moment is the next president. I truly believe the next president will make or break our athletic program. We have to develop a better plan other than running to the State tit every time the wind blows or we slide another rung down in the dilapidated MWC.

In short, I think Bohl could have taken a different approach, but I don't think he will fail and he certainly will not fail because of him.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

TheCup wrote:If Bohl doesn't develop a consistent winner by 2019 it's time to think seriously about considering a different model for the athletics department. We've been told ad nauseum that two things will never happen: Wyoming will never spend Boise State type money on football and Wyoming will never drop down to FCS.

Ok. Fine. But you can't keep throwing good money after bad forever. If Bohl doesn't develop a winner by 2019 or 2020 we should consider running the football program on about half what we do now - say around $3.5 million/year. This would be about what schools like Appalachian State spend. If we get lucky every once in a while, great. But then let's plus up the basketball budget to make that program one of the best in the west. No reason we couldn't develop a Gonzaga type program here given the resources.
I guess this is kind of what I was hinting at. If we can't win with this coach, in this conference, with these facilities, then something has to change.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote:I think he turns it around. Needs better coordinators. Recruiting is the key and looks like he in the upswing.

had to hire a new one?

1- Dave Logan

2- Samoan who was dc at Utah and just went to Oregon state
Sitake?
ImageImageImageImage
TheCup
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:First point is that the fanboys interpret concern or questioning of method as people getting pitchforks and torches ready to run Bohl out of town. There are actually VERY FEW people who are not on board with Bohl through at minimum 2 more years.

I have long contended that our issues at Wyoming are far deeper than the coach hired. To answer your question directly, if in 4 years Bohl is still struggling but is running a classy program, then the Athletic Department needs an overhaul.

The new AD should make a judgement on Bohl based on level of progress, does it "feel like WYO is about break through", etc.

Even more important than Bohl at the moment is the next president. I truly believe the next president will make or break our athletic program. We have to develop a better plan other than running to the State tit every time the wind blows or we slide another rung down in the dilapidated MWC.

In short, I think Bohl could have taken a different approach, but I don't think he will fail and he certainly will not fail because of him.
Agree +1000. I don't think Bohl is a bad coach. Far from it. If he can't get it done, it probably can't get done. There are very deep structural issues that make any success extremely unlikely.

I hope people appreciate the importance of the next presidential search and how the political ground is moving. The current governor and legislative leadership have devoted millions to UW athletics. The governor even said he would support dipping into the rainy-day account to fund athletics. There will be a new governor in 2019, and presumably a new UW president and much of the legislative leadership is retiring. There will be a whole new bunch of honchos in charge by then.

It's really just a matter of time (maybe 10 years) until we get a governor and/or Appropriations chairmen who have never seen Wyoming football contend for a conference title in their adult lifetimes. What happens then is why it is so critical that Bohl get this done now.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

TheCup wrote:If Bohl doesn't develop a consistent winner by 2019 it's time to think seriously about considering a different model for the athletics department. We've been told ad nauseum that two things will never happen: Wyoming will never spend Boise State type money on football and Wyoming will never drop down to FCS.

This is all going to be moot, anyway. Conferences will realign by then and Wyoming football will no longer even technically be playing for the same trophy as the P5 schools. Wyoming will have some interesting choices to make when that happens.
Post of the century
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:First point is that the fanboys interpret concern or questioning of method as people getting pitchforks and torches ready to run Bohl out of town. There are actually VERY FEW people who are not on board with Bohl through at minimum 2 more years.

Agreed - Bohl is fine. Sucks losing. Really sucks losing. I think the athletics department - and UW as a whole needs a good cleansing. There are alot of good people working there doing what they are supposed to be doing - but there are some serious management flaws there. There is alot of complacency. A good cleansing helps both academics and athletics.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TheCup wrote: It's really just a matter of time (maybe 10 years) until we get a governor and/or Appropriations chairmen who have never seen Wyoming football contend for a conference title in their adult lifetimes. What happens then is why it is so critical that Bohl get this done now.
Great point. I hadn't thought of it like that. We need to demonstrate to the State that they get a good return on investment and we need to figure out how to use the State less.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

no one i think it can be done, but instead of excuses of youth, when they have matured I sure hope those excuses are no longer valid and we actually win football games (again), after all isn't football the same game no matter what level it's played at, look like you know what you are doing out there, that's all i'm asking for
BringBackStutzriem
Buckaroo

This, over and over again. Wyoming's problem is fundamental, inherent, and potentially insurmountable...it's that we're an irrelevant program playing in an irrelevant conference, both of which will grow progressively more and more irrelevant when CSU's new stadium (and the potential TV revenue of an exploding Front Range market) gets them a ticket into the Big 12, Boise State bolts, and the MWC is left with the remnants of the WAC.

Glenn may have been our final shot, and he came very close. The TCU game in 2005 was probably the big one, but losing to New Mexico in '07 (and the ensuing cascades that resulted) probably put the nail in the coffin for Wyoming's hopes of being a regional contender.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think Bohl can get it done if he has a right set of assistant coaches ( need to pay them). Actually, I think DC and Glenn could have turned around the program with the right coaches. Glenn needed an OC who could recruit WRs and a QB. DC needed a DC who could manage the entire defensive side of the ball. It comes down to having an athletic department that can identify a coach's weaknesses and help compensate that. On paper Bohl looks like a more complete coach than either DC or Glenn, with the weak link being Stanard.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote:I think Bohl can get it done if he has a right set of assistant coaches ( need to pay them). Actually, I think DC and Glenn could have turned around the program with the right coaches. Glenn needed an OC who could recruit WRs and a QB. DC needed a DC who could manage the entire defensive side of the ball. It comes down to having an athletic department that can identify a coach's weaknesses and help compensate that. On paper Bohl looks like a more complete coach than either DC or Glenn, with the weak link being Stanard.
Glenn? I can see that. DC? Nope. His problems were not restricted to basically ignoring the defense (though that was the worst place under him).
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm not aware of anyone wanting Bohl gone already. We know this is a long term rebuild.

These are all valid questions. I said WAAAAAY before Bohl was hired that if Wyoming were to steal him from NDSU and even he can't get UW to respectability, it might be time to reallocate resources to basketball and go all Gonzaga of the rockies on everyone. Basketball is much easier to build a power than football. Just reality.

Hopefully this topic is all for not and Bohl turns things around...but if not, these are conversations that will need to be had.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:I'm not aware of anyone wanting Bohl gone already. We know this is a long term rebuild.

These are all valid questions. I said WAAAAAY before Bohl was hired that if Wyoming were to steal him from NDSU and even he can't get UW to respectability, it might be time to reallocate resources to basketball and go all Gonzaga of the rockies on everyone. Basketball is much easier to build a power than football. Just reality.

Hopefully this topic is all for not and Bohl turns things around...but if not, these are conversations that will need to be had.
Not until 1 overhaul of the Athletic Department; that is something we've not tried yet.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

J-Rod wrote:I'm not aware of anyone wanting Bohl gone already. We know this is a long term rebuild.

finally somebody that thinks on the same wavelengths as me, Basketball is our answer and become that place in the Rockies that is feared, revered and making the Top 25 year in and year out, IT CAN BE DONE
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BringBackStutzriem wrote:

This, over and over again. Wyoming's problem is fundamental, inherent, and potentially insurmountable...it's that we're an irrelevant program playing in an irrelevant conference, both of which will grow progressively more and more irrelevant when CSU's new stadium (and the potential TV revenue of an exploding Front Range market) gets them a ticket into the Big 12, Boise State bolts, and the MWC is left with the remnants of the WAC.

Glenn may have been our final shot, and he came very close. The TCU game in 2005 was probably the big one, but losing to New Mexico in '07 (and the ensuing cascades that resulted) probably put the nail in the coffin for Wyoming's hopes of being a regional contender.
Glenn may have been the final shot?
I'm not advocating DC, but we have gone to two bowls since... Going 1-1.

What would peoples take on here have been had Smith lead WYO down and got us the go ahead victory to start off DC's last year in Nebraska? I think that team, all though not so good on D would have had significant momentum to win some of the shootout losses they did later in the year.
It would have been DC's defining moment of going into "One of the Bigs House" and getting a W. Probably bigger than beating 9-4 Virginia at home, big. Or even winning at Ole Miss (4-7) or Tennessee (5-7) big.

We talk of defining moments like the "TCU game" clear back in 05, and raise hypotheticals as to how it may have gotten us where we are today. But I think we've had many other defining moment games since...

And we will again.