Time to raise tuition

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 228 times

PokeOLoco wrote:Students are like adults and taxes... all they need to see or hear is "raise" and the answer is always no regardless of the question.
When I was in undergrad our student body voted for an increase in fees of about $150 per student per semester to fund a new gym facility for the benefit of all students. So I would say this premise is not accurate.

The catch to an increase in an 'athletics fee' is that the students will not be seeing a direct benefit but will rather be directly subsidizing other students' sports careers and education. If I were a student I would absoutely vote No to an increase in fees aimed solely to support the football and basetball teams.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Okay the premise isn't entirely accurate, but it's waaay more accurate than not. I would have voted for an increase in fees for athletics, but I feel like 90% of students I knew would not. I wouldn't blame them for that. I'm glad they voted that through, that's a good thing.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I definitely understand why students wouldn't want to subsidize, and, from that perspective, maybe it shouldn't be done. IMO, if the AD can provide tangible evidence of how increasing the athletic budget via student fees will benefit all students regardless of attendance, then raising student fees should be considered. i.e. competitive athletics is equivalent to x dollars of advertisement, recruitment, etc. which ultimately provides more revenue for the University thereby driving costs down for everyone.

If there are no benefits for the students, then, yeah, hard to argue that we should gouge them because some people want to watch sports.

I like Cali's idea of charging students to attend games but would alter that slightly. I would make part of an elective tuition package where they can select various levels of "sports fees" which gets them tickets to games. Reason being, if it is somehow included in their tuition/fee package, they can use scholarship money, grants, or whatever if they so choose (stress on choose).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

The knee-jerk, we-can't-possibly-raise-tuition-on-the-poor-students nonsense is just that. No one's proposing so much as a 10% increase in tuition. The fact is, the world is not getting cheaper to live or do business in, and Wyoming, despite the POV of some of our more backwater Luddites, is no different. In fact, the cost of living in Wyoming is above the national median. Too many enterprises in Wyoming are underfunded, in part, due to market resistance. UW being the sole four-year institution in the state, it is uniquely insulated from most market resistance. That being said, a $100-150 hike in tuition (or any other fee requisite to attendance) is not a deal-killer, nor would it be an insurmountable obstacle to education. It's what any full-time student could earn part-time in tips on a Friday night. So enough with this particular molehill being Kilimanjaro...

Now, as far as beer sales go- the Mo-mos say no-no and stick their collective heads in the sand pretending their way of thinking is the mainstream. It's not. UW (and the State in general) need to push back on this religious agenda and its pernicious effect on our economy and opportunities. There's plenty of seating at the War and AA to carve out "family" sections where beer is not permitted, but the impact of prohibition at public events all over Wyoming is very plain and well-observed. Best practices generally dictate a mid-third quarter curfew, a limit of two beers per person per sale, ID'ing and wristbanding prior to sales, and close observation of individuals attempting to purchase beer with discontinuation of service as necessary. Beer sales at both football and basketball games would have an immediate positive effect on revenues and attendance. It will not result in wholesale carnage on our roadways or little old ladies getting pushed down the steps of the stadium.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'm very much pro-beer sales along with offering exclusive advertising and selling rights to the highest bidding beer company.

With that said, I'm sure UW has to carry a pretty hefty liability insurance policy for sporting events. Does the insurance go up substantially if beer sales are offered? Just a question and not insinuating anything.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm very much pro-beer sales along with offering exclusive advertising and selling rights to the highest bidding beer company.

With that said, I'm sure UW has to carry a pretty hefty liability insurance policy for sporting events. Does the insurance go up substantially if beer sales are offered? Just a question and not insinuating anything.
The risk liability is built into the price model. It generally amounts to tenths of a percent of operating costs.

Fortunately, Wyoming is one of the states that believes people are responsible for their choices and actions, so alcohol-related liability costs are far lower than those with dram shop laws.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm very much pro-beer sales along with offering exclusive advertising and selling rights to the highest bidding beer company.

The risk liability is built into the price model. It generally amounts to tenths of a percent of operating costs.

Fortunately, Wyoming is one of the states that believes people are responsible for their choices and actions, so alcohol-related liability costs are far lower than those with dram shop laws.
Gotcha. That was one of the only "reasonable" things I could speculate that would hold up beer sales at the War and AA. It seems like such a no brainer. We still have a bar in the Union, right? So the logic is, we can serve beer to students between classes but not on a Saturday?

As a side note and relative to the discussion: Pete's Game room semester memberships are $60. Doesn't seem like a stretch to ask for $100 a semester for football and then bball packages. Hell, host some special student pre-game events that only members get into. Get businesses (read Ag College here) to donate food items. Make it not just game attendance but a fun pre-game atmosphere.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

This is the part where leadership and vision come into play. You don't propose a student athletic fee as a fee to "pay for football and basketball players." You have to have leadership that looks at these kinds of things and sells them to the public as an "investment." It's the same deal as any other project on campus. I am not a fine arts person, nor am I an Ag person. I have literally zero use or interest in those buildings or areas of study and many other on campus. I didn't throw a fit at UW building new buildings for those programs, even though I have nothing to do with them because I understand it as an investment in the greater good of the university. A simple student athletic fee would be an easy way to increase revenue, that doesn't really amount to much per student. But it can't be sold as the standard "we need some money to pay for something because we're poor and dependent on the state.... The typical mediocre line of acceptance." It has to be sold as an investment in the greater good of the university, which it is.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hell, just do it and blame it on inflation. We can't sit pat with our current fees for the next 20 years and not expect our budget to get worse; inflation happens, students will deal with it.
RedRiverPoke4
Buckaroo

calpoke25 wrote:This is the part where leadership and vision come into play. You don't propose a student athletic fee as a fee to "pay for football and basketball players." You have to have leadership that looks at these kinds of things and sells them to the public as an "investment." It's the same deal as any other project on campus. I am not a fine arts person, nor am I an Ag person. I have literally zero use or interest in those buildings or areas of study and many other on campus. I didn't throw a fit at UW building new buildings for those programs, even though I have nothing to do with them because I understand it as an investment in the greater good of the university. A simple student athletic fee would be an easy way to increase revenue, that doesn't really amount to much per student. But it can't be sold as the standard "we need some money to pay for something because we're poor and dependent on the state.... The typical mediocre line of acceptance." It has to be sold as an investment in the greater good of the university, which it is.
I agree 1000%.... To raise the bar of the entire University requires funding in all areas of the college.. With increased revenues from sports it will draw more attention from sponsors, etc... :thumb: So yes, raise the costs.. It's part of the authentic College experience. Go Pokes!