October 8, 2005 (10 years ago today)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

BringBackStutzriem wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Anyone remember attendance for that game?
It was just under 28,000, which made it the biggest crowd for a Wyoming game since 1998. You've got to remember, though, this was in the era of Project 20k, where it was a goal to even average 20,000 fans per game. In fact, it was rare to even exceed that attendance mark for a while there. Garnering 28k for this one (especially against a team that didn't travel particularly well to Laramie) was a HUGE deal for Wyoming.
johnywyo wrote:I believe there was a phantom holding call on a punt return for a TD for Wyo as well. That was a HUGE play, as well as the TO's we suffered during that game. Frustrating to know how close we were to putting together one heck of a year.
YES, you are completely right. I omitted it from the story because I couldn't quite remember how it fit into the game's narrative, but it was in the first half. Hoost Marsh took a punt 90 yards for a touchdown (it's the image that shows up at the top of "Part 2" of this writeup). I remember the stadium being furious, although I recall the PI call at the end of the first half was even more dubious and people were truly up in arms.

That's one unpleasant memory I have about this game: I've never seen a more intense Wyoming fan base, but also never seen a more angry one. This was an even louder game than Texas in 2009 because, quite simply, Wyoming expected to win this game. There was no novelty surrounding this: it was the real deal. And when the Cowboys lost, the hate that was levied at players (especially Bramlet) was pretty appalling. I've never seen a player singled out by our fans quite like that. It was pretty nasty stuff.
LanderPoke wrote:Awesome write-up, Stutzreim. You are a fantastic writer. Wouldn't you like to see Wyoming football back in a similar situation? Or we could wuss out and Go FCS...not.
Seriously appreciate the kind words, man. I know some of my views aren't popular around here, but I figured they're interesting conversation starters at the very least. I want Wyoming to get back to exactly where they were on October 7, 2005 in the worst of ways. However, I'm not certain it's entirely possible anymore for a couple of reasons:

1.) The Mountain West Conference will never carry the level of national relevance or recognition it had from 2005-2011, especially in the likelihood that Boise State, Colorado State, and possibly Air Force all leave in the next few seasons. Boise State would be most persuaded if CSU jumps ship, and CSU's magnum opus stadium investment (and the general economics of the booming Front Range population swing) make them a pretty viable candidate to go Big 12. Regardless, it's impossible to recreate a playing field with TCU, Utah, and BYU - and, at the time, Wyoming was a realistic competitor to all three. As the ensuing blowouts later in the decade began to indicate, the gap between those programs and UW grew more and more massive - and now it's simply insurmountable. We can't ever hope to catch up to where TCU or Utah are - it's just an unfortunate reality.

2.) Consequentially, it will be more and more difficult for Wyoming to attract the caliber of recruits needed to compete in the upper-echelon of "mid-major" programs. Let's clarify: TCU, Utah, and BYU are no longer "mid-majors" - they're the real deal. We're more of a "mid-major" than we've ever been. But the depreciation of prestige in the MWC will make it more difficult to convince recruits to play in Laramie simply because the conference and its teams are largely irrelevant. Certainly, Wyoming needs to make Tashaun Gipson a poster child of "Look, it can happen here!" In the year 2015, however, it's a pretty tough sell to your type of kid who is really good at football. Again, we love Wyoming because we see the virtues of it - but there's a reason there are only 550,000 people here, and it's because it takes a really special type of person to live out here. I'm not convinced that Laramie is a lucrative place for upper-tier football players in a generation that is founded on instant gratification and flashiness ("the Instagram generation").

3.) Above all, the inherent disadvantages of trying to run a FBS program out of Laramie, Wyoming have widened exponentially in the 10 years since this game. At the time, Wyoming was on a relatively similar plane as the rest of the MWC. Within five years, it had shifted dramatically. Today, it's tectonic plates moving. It's like the separation of Pangea. That's what makes this such a fascinating and depressing game to analyze - it's the "what if's" that needed to fall in place to provide a program like Wyoming with the types of sparks it needed to compete. Unfortunately, the catalysts for those sparks are becoming more and more sparse as time goes on. That's the tough reality we're trying to come to grips with as Wyoming fans.

Now, let's hope Wyoming's program goes out and makes me eat my words. Because, trust me, I'll be the happiest person in the world to be completely wrong if it happens.

My hat is off to you - that was a more than worthwhile and compelling, entertaining, and informational read.

Which leads me to question 1: Are you a writer by nature -- is this what you do for a living?

Question 2: You seem to believe that Boise & CSU, and maybe even AF, will be leaving the MWC sometime in the near future. Is this an educated guess, or do you feel that this is not an if it will happen - but a rather when it will happen scenario?

Question 3: Even if those 3 teams do leave, I have a hard time seeing the MWC simply siting on their hands...I believe they'll replace those 3 teams and the conference will stay intact, possibly expanding to even more than 3 replacement teams.

Again, a great-great read...now your thoughts, please.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Excellent write up, Stutz. Hope you can write some others. Gread read, reminded me of Grantland, which you mentioned. Awesome work.
PCB
Ranch Hand

Stutz, I'm flabbergasted. You have written a completely compelling, interest holding, attention grabbing post! You had me thinking as though I was watching the game but I was just reading about it. I recall how is was just livid at that game. Your timeline is a beaut. Your conclusions, while debatable, are well reasoned. Bravo, more, more! :thumb:
BringBackStutzriem
Buckaroo

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Y'all are pretty damn cool. Figured that I'd try out posting on here about a month ago, haven't been disappointed by the provocative conversations floating around. Honestly, the most impressive aspect about it is that people on here unfailingly stand by Wyoming athletics, even in the darkest times...I might challenge the idea that Wyoming's future is as optimistic as certain people on here, but I can't challenge the loyalty of Wyoming fans. In any case, seriously appreciate all the great feedback and you guys taking the time to read all my tripe on the subject. If you're digging it, I'll keep coming through with it. Makes my day to see all the kind feedback, you guys rock.
Yabadabadoo wrote: My hat is off to you - that was a more than worthwhile and compelling, entertaining, and informational read.

Which leads me to question 1: Are you a writer by nature -- is this what you do for a living?

Question 2: You seem to believe that Boise & CSU, and maybe even AF, will be leaving the MWC sometime in the near future. Is this an educated guess, or do you feel that this is not an if it will happen - but a rather when it will happen scenario?

Question 3: Even if those 3 teams do leave, I have a hard time seeing the MWC simply siting on their hands...I believe they'll replace those 3 teams and the conference will stay intact, possibly expanding to even more than 3 replacement teams.

Again, a great-great read...now your thoughts, please.
#1: Ha, sportswriting is definitely in my professional narrative. I still dabble a bit. I've floated around the idea of starting a Grantland-esque blog devoted not just to Wyoming sports, but Wyoming lifestyle in general...just for fun. Not sure about it yet, but it's a possibility in the future. Not trying to poach anything from the WyoNation blog, btw - this is already a fine venue. In any case, again, you're way too kind and all my gratitude to you for taking the time to read it. If you guys dig it, I'll keep bringing the noise!

#2: This is mostly speculative on my behalf, although I believe there are some concrete economics to the idea. Strangely enough, it's Colorado State - rather than Boise - that may be the catalyst. The incremental population growth along the Front Range has been pretty staggering over the past 10 years. That significant influx, combined with CU's dramatic downturn in football, has left the Denver college sports market (and, really, the entire front range) wide open for the taking. CSU has progressively begun to launch a re-branding campaign targeting that untapped audience. It's manifested in subtle ways - and less-than subtle ways. CSU, for example, has started a partnership of sorts with the Denver Broncos; they hosted their spring scrimmage in Dove Valley, they have an internship pipeline in place, they have Broncos personnel who appear at speaker series. This is one of those "subtle" signs that CSU is taking serious steps at trying to establish itself as a real player in the Denver market.

The new stadium, however, is a key indicator that CSU has bigger plans than the Mountain West. And their lack of success as a program (the way they've underachieved over the last decade is pretty dismal) won't be what holds them back from jumping. The Big 12 sees huge revenue potential in such a booming market with an influx of millions (that shows no signs of slowing anytime soon); simply put, Colorado is one of the nation's hotbeds right now, and Fort Collins as one of its most desirable places to live will make CSU a prime candidate for expansion. Throw in the notion that Colorado is indubitably football crazy for the Broncos, and you have some sense of an untapped market - GRANTED, Colorado sports fans have been pretty abysmal in loyalty with the exception of the Broncos and appear to care more about craft beers and weekend hikes up the easier 14ers. Nevertheless, CSU is - strangely - economically positioned to be one of top teams remaining to jump to a Big 5 conference, and the addition of a cushy new stadium will help re-brand their project.

As for Boise, well, that one is more reflective of program success and the notion that the majority of programs that sustained that kind of success in the 2000's also jumped to major conferences. Boise's concerns appear to be mostly due to academic qualifications, although it's also possible that they know they have a good thing going and don't want to jeopardize it by moving to a power conference. One of the interesting comparisons I heard was to UNLV basketball in the late 80's and early 90's - but the caveat is that the Mountain West, currently, is far weaker than the WAC was in the 80's and 90's and doesn't appear to have a high ceiling to be more competitive nationally.

Finally, Air Force. They've been loyal to the MWC from the get-go. But there's a theory floating that if the Big 12 goes knocking for CSU, they'll look for one other candidate. Apparently, Air Force is the one that has been on the radar. I have trouble thinking the Falcons would be convinced to jump just on the logistics of trying to compete in a power conference, but who knows. This one is, truly, speculative on everyone's behalf - but it's out there.

#3: I'll come back and get to this a bit later on.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Very good reads - thanks for posting!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Air Force has already told the Big 12 "No". There was a series of discussions of this on the MWC board a while ago.