Is this the worst Wyoming team ever?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

On the heels of another beat down and likely staring a one-win season in the face (seriously, how did they beat Nevada?) I think it's fair to ask. Is this worse than the Vic K teams? Is this the worst team to ever take the field for Wyoming?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Yes
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Landiegopoke
Ranch Hand

SDPokeFan wrote:On the heels of another beat down and likely staring a one-win season in the face (seriously, how did they beat Nevada?) I think it's fair to ask. Is this worse than the Vic K teams? Is this the worst team to ever take the field for Wyoming?
Well in five years Vic only won 5 games and he only won 1 conference game and that was in his third year. And that was with good talent on the offense side of the ball, Bramlet and Swanson. But I am sure this beat down gave you a Woodie and you will have sweet dreams of the Big Sky tonight
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

Landiegopoke wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:On the heels of another beat down and likely staring a one-win season in the face (seriously, how did they beat Nevada?) I think it's fair to ask. Is this worse than the Vic K teams? Is this the worst team to ever take the field for Wyoming?
Well in five years Vic only won 5 games and he only won 1 conference game and that was in his third year. And that was with good talent on the offense side of the ball, Bramlet and Swanson. But I am sure this beat down gave you a Woodie and you will have sweet dreams of the Big Sky tonight
Not hardly. It's depressing. But yet I keep watching.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Yes.

Worst coaching STAFF ever? Debate...

(Before everyone starts touting the poop factor of Vic, remember that he has proven to be one of the best DC's AT THE P5 LEVEL)

Heads (plural) need to roll! This isn't a build, this is a death sentence.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Not even close. Vic never put a team on the field anywhere near competitive.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Worst Wyoming team ever? Debatable question. A few worthy opinions made above. How did they beat Nevada? I'm also thinking that. 2015 Wyoming has shown competitive characteristics in games this year. At other times, they have not shown up. Really, there is no baseline on what to expect every game. This team is pretty bad. The stats don't lie.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:Not even close. Vic never put a team in the field anywhere near competitive.
Outside of the Nevada game this team has got throttled in every game it has played, including by the two worst teams to ever play in Laramie.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

This team or the 2000 team are definitely at the top. The hole we're in keeps getting deeper and deeper every week.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Yes, I think this team is sadly much worse than the 2000 team that went 1-10. The 2000 team was outscored by 20.2 points per game, and the 2015 team is getting outscored by exactly 17.0 points per game. However when you take into account their respective SOS it isn't even close. The 2000 team OOC consisted of Auburn (close game) Texas A&M and Central Michigan. The 2000 team also was playing in a MW that still contained BYU and Utah. Sports-reference.com also rates this years team 2 full points worse than the 2000 team in SRS which combines point differential and SOS.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Easily yes. Any VK team would beat this team. Does it mean CB will fail? No. Is it reason for concern? Sure.

IMO, this season doesn't mean much unless the wheels fall off next season. Not saying we should compete for the conference, but if we remain even close to this bad, then CB should feel some heat.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Yes I totally agree, there's really only 1 person that's worthy on this team at a D1 level and that's Mr Brian Hill, everyone else seems to be stuck in the FCS level, I'm glad Allen got some snaps this year for next year, but I truly hope we can win a couple of MWC games or else the writing is on the wall!!!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Not close to being the worst....but by far the youngest and least experienced team I have ever seen at Wyoming.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:Not close to being the worst....but by far the youngest and least experienced team I have ever seen at Wyoming.
Within a season, it is the worst. From a pure competitive standpoint within a single season, this is the worst team. More birthdays and eating an elephant may certainly apply. This group could be MWC champs in 3 years or not, but within a single year and a single game, this is the least competitive WYO team ever.

Like I said, though, there is no point in dwelling on it. It doesn't mean much at this point. I don't think this season is a good predictor of where this staff is heading (either direction). At this point, we are in the unknown.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Anything less than 4 wins next year and Bohl is gone, right? That's three years of recruits, some are upperclassmen, hardly anything left from the previous staff. Four wins and enough people can pass it off as progress.

My prediction, 2017 we go bowling. Same in 2018 followed by a bad year in 2019 then a huge 7 win season and two sub 6 seasons when we will finally can our AD.
52-56
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

jessejames02 wrote:Anything less than 4 wins next year and Bohl is gone, right? That's three years of recruits, some are upperclassmen, hardly anything left from the previous staff. Four wins and enough people can pass it off as progress.

My prediction, 2017 we go bowling. Same in 2018 followed by a bad year in 2019 then a huge 7 win season and two sub 6 seasons when we will finally can our AD.
No, no, hell no. He needs at least four years and probably five to see this out. It's unfair to question his job security at this point.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

stymeman wrote:Yes I totally agree, there's really only 1 person that's worthy on this team at a D1 level and that's Mr Brian Hill, everyone else seems to be stuck in the FCS level, I'm glad Allen got some snaps this year for next year, but I truly hope we can win a couple of MWC games or else the writing is on the wall!!!!
Eddie, Gentry, Wacha, Wingard, Coffman.. all very talented players.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote:Yes I totally agree, there's really only 1 person that's worthy on this team at a D1 level and that's Mr Brian Hill, everyone else seems to be stuck in the FCS level, I'm glad Allen got some snaps this year for next year, but I truly hope we can win a couple of MWC games or else the writing is on the wall!!!!
You couldn't be further from correct. At least half the players are D-1 caliber right now and the other half will be D-1 caliber with some weight training and birthdays.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Since the question is Worst team, I'm taking that as this season and this season only. If we win our last game then this team will be amongst the worst teams ever at Wyoming, if we lose to UNLV I think this will be the worst team ever(or modern history, there is apparently some super bad teams in the early part of the century). That doesn't mean the coaching tenure of CB is worse than Vic's or anyone's but just this single team this year is the worst ever.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

jessejames02 wrote:Anything less than 4 wins next year and Bohl is gone, right? That's three years of recruits, some are upperclassmen, hardly anything left from the previous staff. Four wins and enough people can pass it off as progress.

I'm not sure on win/loss next year. A lot of that depends on schedule and what the other teams in conference are like. I think clear increased defensive and offensive rankings, increased percentage of 3rd down conversions, and better preparation for opening quarters are one thing. The other is point differential; I do not expect us to be blown out of every game or hardly any game. I would certainly hope we win more than 1 game, but I can't really think of a concrete number.

If this train is still completely derailed next season and there has been little progress, then I think Bohl's seat is pretty damn warm. If there is undeniable progress (i.e. you don't have to be a fanboy to see it), then Bohl deserves more time regardless of some exact number of wins.

By year 4, if we don't go bowling (preferably 7+ wins), then I'll really question if this is the right direction.

I think an Urban Meyer-like coach would have us at 7+ wins in year 3 but there aren't that many Urban Meyers. Hell, maybe Bohl will have us there next year, no way to know.