Is this the worst Wyoming team ever?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

FWIW, here is one 2014 preview with some thoughts on the roster....

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/8/558807 ... ule-roster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
VisorHair wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Worst team no, Youngest team yes.

Worst coaching staff not even remotely close, This staff took over a complete and total offensive and defensive train wreck.
Why do people keep saying this? What on earth qualifies the roster when CB got here as a train wreck? Why did that roster win games then? And if you say coaching won the games, then by no means was there a train wreck.
I've wondered about this too. DC's last class was 11 on O and 11 on D if I remember correctly? I thought both of his last few classes were fairly balanced and not terrible on the talent side.

Attrition is a different problem than roster inherited. I'd like to see the break down of this.
http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One thing I notice looking at that, a poop ton of JCs. And only a few of those are still here. The rest graduated (due to being JCs) or left the program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One thing I notice looking at that, a poop ton of JCs. And only a few of those are still here. The rest graduated (due to being JCs) or left the program.
I didn't keep up with each one of those, but it highlights exactly what I'm talking about. If they were recruited in 2013, then that means year 1 is 2013 (I assume) and year 2 2014 (i.e. last year) so lost them. We still had 12 sign that should be here.

Again, attrition is a different matter.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

What happened to all these guys: http://wyoming.247sports.com/Season/201 ... ll/Commits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean, I get a little thin because of about 8 JC guys in the 2013 class, but it wasn't like there was some huge deficiency in recruiting numbers.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Some of those I think left while DC was still here.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

VisorHair wrote:

Worst coaching staff not even remotely close, This staff took over a complete and total offensive and defensive train wreck.
Why do people keep saying this? What on earth qualifies the roster when CB got here as a train wreck? Why did that roster win games then? And if you say coaching won the games, then by no means was there a train wreck.
Because it is true. With the youth comes being undersized and new to Bohl's system. I'm not saying that during the offseason that something magical will happen with the youth & undersized problem, but we do have some coming off redshirt, another year of experience, and some new good sized recruits that may produce 1 or 2 like Wingate that will be impact players. We also have Josh Allen returning.
The one thing I remember about DCs defense was that they were always ranked right around 120 out of 124 teams nationally, so Bohl didn't inherit much there, and his OL was always so porous that Brett Smith was always running for his life. I think we won because of Brett Smith, not because of DC.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Go look at the list of Slick Dave's recruits from 2012 and 2013 and tell me that the issue doesn't lie right there. Those guys are the juniors and seniors that should be leading this team and half of them aren't even on the roster. While there are a few exceptions in each group, those recruiting classes are a dumpster fire. And it may be a little early to tell, but compared to those two classes, Bohl's classes are blowing them out of the water. Give him two more recruiting classes and progress will be obvious.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

This season has been tough, and that's an understatement. Tough on the eyes, the heart, the soul, tough to watch most weekends.

I'll stand by what I have originally forecast. We'll be better next season (markedly better at QB) and the offense will gel more consistently.

Defensively I'm not too sure of yet, I can only hope we have some guys step in next year and begin to emerge...anything has to be better than this season's debacle defensively.

Another strong recruiting class by Bohl and his staff in a few months -- continued work in the weight room, and an improved team next season that is much more competitive than this year's model.

I expect Bohl to have this program contending for a MWC Championship by the 2018 season -- and a program that can and will sustain for years to come afterward.

If that doesn't happen then I'll admit that I missed on Craig Bohl.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

VisorHair wrote:

Obviously you didn't watch any of the games in DC's final year.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:
VisorHair wrote:

Obviously you didn't watch any of the games in DC's final year.
Or has a terrible memory.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

I'll just be happy if WYO has a winning season in 2016 or 2017. A bowl game would be GREAT the way 2015 has played out.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote:I'll just be happy if WYO has a winning season in 2016 or 2017. A bowl game would be GREAT the way 2015 has played out.

Don't worry. My sources tell me Wyo will win the MWC in a couple years.

Hope we don't lose Bohl to Nebraska when that happens.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Talent wise not even close to the worst. Coordinated? Yeahp easily the worst

I think they're recruiting at as a high a level or higher than a long time. But that's a poorly coached team you see out there on the field. Those true so and fr classes have good talent. The next class "looks better". I really like the talent level of hill, wingard, granderson, Cummings, and some others. I hope and think they can get a quite a few more types of players they're getting so I hope they coach them better.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Meh, almost every time and at almost every school when a coach is fired and a new coach takes over, there are a few things that are almost always certain.

The old coach recruited like crap and left the cupboard bare while the new coach is recruiting like never seen before.

In other words, neither of those statements are that indicative of a new coach's prospects at success. IMO, the same goes for Bohl. He chose a "unique" path to a rebuild, and yes, he CHOSE it. However, I don't put much stock in this season as an indication of Bohl's chances at success nor do I put any faith in comments relative to DC's recruiting and how great Bohl is doing. To put it simply, nothing to date is a good indicator of success or failure.

Like Burman, we are 100% in TBD mode. Any other conjecture, good or bad, is nothing more than pure faith or speculation.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote:I'll just be happy if WYO has a winning season in 2016 or 2017. A bowl game would be GREAT the way 2015 has played out.

Don't worry. My sources tell me Wyo will win the MWC in a couple years.

Hope we don't lose Bohl to Nebraska when that happens.
I hope you're right. I'm not giving up. It's been a terrible year, but maybe it is a good thing. The guys need a kick in the rear, especially the coaches.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

Is this the worst Wyoming team ever? No. Worst ever was John Corbett's final year in 1923. We were 0-8 and were shut out by the faculty team, DU, and Colorado Mines, lost 34-7 to Colorado College, and lost to CSU, Utah, USU, and CU by a combined score of 152-9. This team would clobber that team... I think... Maybe... Is this the worst team since then? Well... You be the judge... :? Link: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... edule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

I told my friends after the first game this year that I have been watching Wyoming football since the 1988 BYU night game (1988 byu game-what an awesome game) and this is the worst football team I have ever watched play in war memorial stadium. We should have lost the Nevada game. When Nevada realized they were about to lose they were moving the ball at will in 10 yard chunks. If we played our schedule again starting right now I don't think we win a game at all and I don't think that its closer this time around. There are 5 players total on our team that are playing at a level that remotely resembles D1. They are Wingard, Gentry, Yarborough, Malhart, and Hill. Epps is close. I don't know if it is coaching or talent but we haven't been competitive at all this year. We had good offensive stats half way through the season because by halftime we were getting beat by 20+ points and the other team had backups in or didn't have to play hard anymore.

I don't see this team winning 3 games next year. We are so far down right now that its not going to turn around within 3 years. I think Bohl could get there eventually but I doubt he gets enough time and I am torn on whether he deserves enough time with the way this year turned out.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

rich22 wrote:I told my friends after the first game this year that I have been watching Wyoming football since the 1988 BYU night game (1988 byu game-what an awesome game) and this is the worst football team I have ever watched play in war memorial stadium. We should have lost the Nevada game. When Nevada realized they were about to lose they were moving the ball at will in 10 yard chunks. If we played our schedule again starting right now I don't think we win a game at all and I don't think that its closer this time around. There are 5 players total on our team that are playing at a level that remotely resembles D1. They are Wingard, Gentry, Yarborough, Malhart, and Hill. Epps is close. I don't know if it is coaching or talent but we haven't been competitive at all this year. We had good offensive stats half way through the season because by halftime we were getting beat by 20+ points and the other team had backups in or didn't have to play hard anymore.

I don't see this team winning 3 games next year. We are so far down right now that its not going to turn around within 3 years. I think Bohl could get there eventually but I doubt he gets enough time and I am torn on whether he deserves enough time with the way this year turned out.
Mark it down...in two years at this point in the season we will be at 6 or more wins with a game remaining. With this same young crop (+ recruits) you are describing. Maybe not world beaters yet, but competitive. And this type of analysis will be revealed to be short sighted and off base.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

yopaulie wrote:
Mark it down...in two years at this point in the season we will be at 6 or more wins with a game remaining. With this same young crop (+ recruits) you are describing. Maybe not world beaters yet, but competitive. And this type of analysis will be revealed to be short sighted and off base.
[/quote]

I really really hope you are right!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Next year we should be seeing some real improvements as the young guys will have had 1-2 years in the program to get bigger, stronger, and faster.i