Playoffs are a bad thing

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I was thinking about this more and I think the CFB playoffs are the beginning of the end for our participation in the highest level of CFB. The P5 conferences are already discussing resolutions to the problems stemming from judging SOS as a factor to get into the playoff. Most if not all that I've read over this year have been to eliminate FCS games and most if not all have mentioned eliminating non-P5 games.

Barry A. has proposed conference challenges. IMO, the writing is on the wall. The desire among the P5 to "level the playing field" in regard to access to the playoff will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back. The split will come under the name of "scheduling equality".

Why this matters? The conference distributed close to $50 million. That would drop to near 0 if the split occurred. The impact on our operating budget would probably be a loss of about $4 or $5 million.

The impact on prestige, recruiting, football viability, etc. would be unknown. Would we be Montana-like or Northern Colorado-like?
You just started thinking about this? You missed some good conversations from the day it was announced as a 4 team playoff that we already knew the P5 was completely screwed.
GoGoPokes
Buckaroo

The logical solution is for the power five conferences to get over any kind of conference jealousy, consolidate to 4 conferences with 16-20 teams, play round robin within your division and then that perfectly sets up an eight team playoff for the national championship (week 1 conference championship, week 2 national semifinals, week 3 national championship). No extra games from what we have now and would leave the bulk of the group of five out. Boy I hope this never happens but I'm baffled by how this hasn't been part of very serious discussions.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Wyo2dal wrote: You just started thinking about this? You missed some good conversations from the day it was announced as a 4 team playoff that we already knew the P5 was completely screwed.
Not just started thinking about it, but the obviousness of the problems from the logistics of the playoff weren't in existence yet. The Notre Dame effect was nothing more than theoretical. In other words, there was theoretical poop and a theoretical fan. Now, poop is in the room with the fan.

I guess the difference now is that the prognostications are coming to pass and the rate at which I think it will happen is faster than I previously anticipated.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Because every sport and every other level of football has the conference champs of each conference participate in them.
But this is the sport of football, and it is not every other level of football.

If you want to find the best team in FBS college football, put the best teams on the field and let them play it off.

If we want something else -- an equivalent of a participation trophy for, say, Arkansas State, to make them feel good about themselves -- we should just say so. Though it might be more humane just to give them an awards ceremony, instead of making them get squished by one of the 70 teams in the country better than them.
FCS, Div 2, NFL, JUCO, High School... FBS is the ONLY level that doesn't do a play offs system with conference champs of all conferences.
Smaller conferences need to become mega conference w 4 or 8 team playoffs in conference

Add Houston, memphis, Tulane, SMU, Wichita st, Gonzaga, Denver, Long beach, Pepperdine,

Houston/SMU/Memphis/Tulane
Wyoming/csu/Air Force/New Mexico
Unlv/Nevada/Utah st/Boise
Hawaii/Fresno/sdsu/sjsu

8 team playoff for football. 4 games in Denver, Dallas, Houston, San Diego pro stadiums

Semi finals 2 games in Vegas and the championship every year in Honolulu

Then in bb (and other sports which would dominate)

Wyo/csu/af/Denver/ut st/New Mexico
Houston/SMU/creighton/Tulane/Memphis/Wichita st
Boise/Gonzaga/San Francisco/San Jose/unlv/Nevada
Sdsu/Fresno/Hawaii/long beach/Pepperdine/chaminad

Could be different schools but the time is now to expand and in football have your own playoff
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

There is no "need" for mega-conferences. All it would do is split an already thin pie, thinner. Recreating the WAC-16 would only recreate the split.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:There is no "need" for mega-conferences. All it would do is split an already thin pie, thinner. Recreating the WAC-16 would only recreate the split.
If you get a bunch of the wrong teams.

Houston is the 1 team I think is a lock to do nothing but good for the conference. And add the 4th largest city in the country. That's different than adding rice and Tulsa.

With basketball only schools is another expansion option. Gonzaga Wichita or creighton would also do nothing but good.

I think you try to cover the map of the west and know that there's the PAC 12 and big 12 and then only one other conference that matters at all from the Mississippi to the pacific and that would be this one.