USD safety transfers to Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

http://www.wyonation.com/2015/11/univer ... s-wyoming/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another story from Ben Mitchum
ImageImageImageImage
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:http://www.wyonation.com/2015/11/univer ... s-wyoming/

Another story from Ben Mitchum
I was wondering how this year might have an affect on recruiting....and I'm semi surprised. First off, we aren't beating any big schools for recruits yet. But, just looking at Scout and the highest remaining ranked players with Wyoming offers....many still like us.....some more than some bigger schools. The proof will be in the pudding, but I don't think this year will have that big of a negative affect....which is a good thing.

Go Pokes!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Nice. 2 things stuck out at me:

1)
Gragg said he chose the Cowboys because he loved the family environment the coaching staff preached.
This is exactly in line with what most recruits say and what most recruiting outlets say. It sort of contrasts the mentality of why it is so hard to recruit to WYO. Bad season, questionable coaching at times, but kudos to the staff and current players for keeping a good environment that recruits want to be a part of!

2)
“I love the Mountain West Conference due to my family being near most of the other teams in our conference.
Translation, we have FSU, SJSU, SDSU, and even UNLV, and UNR which are in or close proximity to Cali. Maybe having teams in your conference from a given area helps recruiting for all teams in a conference.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: but I don't think this year will have that big of a negative affect....which is a good thing.

Go Pokes!!
It will be interesting to see from both a recruiting standpoint and fan support standpoint. We still haven't recovered from Schroyer, but he also coached for several years. Still, attendance next year might take a hit especially if we are mediocre.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Welcome, but welcome to Laramie...lol
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote:Welcome, but welcome to Laramie...lol
Better than being welcomed to Cheyenne
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice. Welcome to the program. Let's get this ship turned around!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:Welcome, but welcome to Laramie...lol
He did visit Laramie....so must have liked what he saw.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: but I don't think this year will have that big of a negative affect....which is a good thing.

Go Pokes!!
It will be interesting to see from both a recruiting standpoint and fan support standpoint. We still haven't recovered from Schroyer, but he also coached for several years. Still, attendance next year might take a hit especially if we are mediocre.
As you know RJ....there are fans on both sides of the fence. Some will stay away until the product on the field gets better...some will just show up and support. The first game of the season is the litmus test IMO.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I will be there. I have been sorely disappointed in the team this year, but I am hopeful for the future. Bohl has a tough job. I think he is up for the challenge. I think we start seeing improvement.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:Nice. Welcome to the program. Let's get this ship turned around!
Let's get it upright and then turn it around ;) !
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: As you know RJ....there are fans on both sides of the fence. Some will stay away until the product on the field gets better...some will just show up and support. The first game of the season is the litmus test IMO.
I think the 3rd or so home game will be the best litmus but hard to tell.

Regarding your point about fans, you are right. There certainly are fans that will show up no matter what. We'll see a good example of this next Saturday. The question will be how sustainable is that and for how long?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

We've got to see progress next year. Progress will instill hope even if we aren't competing for the title next year.

The way things are shaping up, the only positions of concern should be linebacker and the DE's. Linebacker because we were inexperienced and thin....with only one scholarship linebacker red shirting (although we'll be 240lbs) we need to see improved size. DJ May improved throughout the year, but he needs to add 20lbs. Same with Nzeocha and Wacha is possible. The same holds true with the DE's. Unfortunately, there is still little depth. We do get Meader back from injury. He was slated as a backup before the season started last year. Granderson and Prosser (if he remains a DE), must gain some significant weight during the off season. I feel comfortable with the direction of the other positions.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
The way things are shaping up, the only positions of concern should be linebacker and the DE's.
What?? The only positions next year that shouldn't be of concern for this 1-10 team is RB and perhaps safety.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
The way things are shaping up, the only positions of concern should be linebacker and the DE's.
What?? The only positions next year that shouldn't be of concern for this 1-10 team is RB and perhaps safety.
I'm well aware of our record. What I'm talking about is building depth and gaining experience. We return almost every player from the positions I didn't mention. Those kids will continue to improve. Do you agree? We will also get back key players from injury.....Josh Allen and Tanner Gentry being the big two. In the limited time we saw Allen on the field, he was the best looking QB I've seen at Wyoming since Smith....but bigger with a bigger arm. And he'll still be a sophmore. When Gentry went out, we lost the ability to stretch the field. The fewest passing yard games have all come since Gentry got hurt. I expect, with a receiver coach and a year under their belt, that some of the freshman this year will be bigger contributors next year as well.

That is what I"m talking about. I'm not looking at the team this year and saying this......I'm saying this based on an offseason in which these guys can get in the weight room and gain some weight and strength.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Agreed JD. My biggest disappointment is with the Oline. I expected better play as the season progressed, but It appears the gains were slight, unless we had injuries that got by me. I'm not sure what we have for next season, but some of the recruits look promising already.

One of the problems Leach had at WSU was each recruiting class was enough better than the guys who were already here, that they played. The inexperience factor hurt, a lot. This year, things clicked for them, in what Leach's 4th year? I'd like to see us have better line play on both sides of the ball, but better Oline play would help immediately.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

IMO, this season is not an indication of anything really. We have a few players that demonstrated that they are very good and a bunch of players that are unknown. We do not have enough really good players to be competitive so the unknowns will have to develop (a lot).

You can't assume progress or lack of progress. Either are completely viable. Like I've said, the only thing this season has done for me is change my thoughts on Bohl and staff a little. Before this season I was sure they would turn this thing around. Now, I think they might turn this thing around.

Way too much uncertainty to know which direction this thing is headed and how far it will go in that direction.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: Those kids will continue to improve. Do you agree?
Sure, the question is how much. I would cringe to think of this team getting any worse.

Not a single player other than Hill and Wingard (and a healthy Gentry) have really proven themselves to be of no concern. We all have hope and we all like Allen's potential...but Wyoming has had many players over the years with great potential that did not pan out for whatever reason.
Last edited by OrediggerPoke on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:IMO, this season is not an indication of anything really. We have a few players that demonstrated that they are very good and a bunch of players that are unknown. We do not have enough really good players to be competitive so the unknowns will have to develop (a lot).

Way too much uncertainty to know which direction this thing is headed and how far it will go in that direction.
I agree with this.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

We also have another transfer from UCLA or USC coming in as well as DB, going to be eligible this next season as well, right?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...