UW football coaches say 2016 recruiting class holding strong

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Gagliardi's story in today's Wyoming Tribune-Eagle: http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 97931.html

I have been thinking recently that I hope the coaches are willing to go out and get a few good Junior College offensive linemen to ensure that Brian Hill has a really good line to run behind for the next year or two. I know this is going to be a "developmental program" but I think Hill is a rare talent and the coaching staff owes it to him to do their best to maximize his opportunities in the short term. This means more fully-developed linemen on the two-deep.

We also need to deal with our lack of depth with size in the front 7, especially the linebacking corps. Getting immediate help to assemple the kind of O-Line that Hill deserves needs to be a major priority this year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Good to hear. Did I read that right about 6 teams being younger than us or played more freshman than us? If so anyone know which teams those are?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I think last I saw it was Navy, Florida State.. three or four other Power 5 teams.
ImageImageImageImage
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

If Stanard and Vigan get an hour to talk to the recruits about all of the football knowledge they have, what do they talk to them about for the other 59 minutes, 30 seconds?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Navy? Interesting. Thank goodness they don't have a JV league. Nobody would stand a chance in a few years.

Seriously though, another G5 member that is younger than us, is recruiting disadvantaged, and is T25. Interesting indeed. Blows a few myths out of the water to be sure.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Outside if Wingaard and Hill Bohl doesn't even know what a D1 athlete looks like. Although I am happy to see some recruits at the right size to play next year. I expect the line- backing corp to improve and the DBs to be better, but the DLine is going to bad.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote:Outside if Wingaard and Hill Bohl doesn't even know what a D1 athlete looks like. Although I am happy to see some recruits at the right size to play next year. I expect the line- backing corp to improve and the DBs to be better, but the DLine is going to bad.
Cummings, Overstreet, Granderson, Preister. Couple other OL's in their initial year have held up great considering they are young and undersized. And several that are RS this year. I think we have several that will be D1 looking here soon.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Navy? Interesting. Thank goodness they don't have a JV league. Nobody would stand a chance in a few years.

Seriously though, another G5 member that is younger than us, is recruiting disadvantaged, and is T25. Interesting indeed. Blows a few myths out of the water to be sure.
I think you'll need to unbunch the panties. Navy isn't young at all.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... navy/91257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

compared to...

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-de ... ming/92568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd like to see one with more freshman in the two deep.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

11 underclassmen as starters for us. 2 for Navy.
For the 2 deep
Us- 27
Navy- 12

We have more than twice underclassmen as many in our 2 deep than what Navy has. And More than 5 times as many underclassmen starters than Navy.

How many Freshmen?
Navy- 2 on the 2 deep.
Us- 21 Freshmen (redshirt Freshmen included, but most are true freshmen). 7 are redshirt freshmen.

Yeah.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Okay, here's the actual list as of the Utah State game, from a UW gameday guide. No Navy (my mistake), but here's others:

ImageImageImageImage
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Thanks for the list Mr. T. Not really fair to compare the P5 schools, IMO, because the level of recruits is quite a bit different.

Still, Rice has 4 wins, Florida Atlantic just gave the Gators a scare (fanboys would anoint Bohl as the second coming of Knute Rockne if we did that right now), and Temple is in the neighborhood of the number of young people being played. Temple has had a pretty solid season. Old D is borderline 6 wins, UTSA has had some close losses (including much better performance against the sheep) and is on a couple of game win streak, etc.

We are substantially worse than other G5 teams with similar levels of youth. It doesn't mean we won't get better. It doesn't mean CB will fail. It also doesn't mean everything is just damn rosy either.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Clemson 3rd for freshman played and team ranked best in the country. Wyoming ranked 5th for freshman play and ranked (near) worst in the country. Can I safely assume that there is not a freshmen-played/national-rank correlation in these stats?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Adv8RU12 wrote:Clemson 3rd for freshman played and team ranked best in the country. Wyoming ranked 5th for freshman play and ranked (near) worst in the country. Can I safely assume that there is not a freshmen-played/national-rank correlation in these stats?
Look at the athletes and recruiting area that Clemson utilizes, and the money to go out and get basically whatever recruit they want (meaning, travel cost for coaches), the compare that to what we have. You absolutely cannot compare the #1 team to Wyoming and try to make a correlation.
ImageImageImageImage