OT: Any predictions on coaching vacancies

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Can you imagine if Bohl left after this year? Holy Hell you want to talk about a train wreck... this program would be in shambles!
You mean in shambles like it is now?
Worse....there would be no contingent plan in place.....providing there is one now! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:LSU position will be open soon.

If this really happens, bring Corey Raymond to Laramie as DC!!!
That would be quite the upgrade in salary for that position. As the DB coach at LSU, Raymond makes roughly $327K. As DC at Wyo, Stanard makes about $212K. So in order to get Raymond, you would probably have to offer at LEAST $350K, probably more like $400K+.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:

That would be quite the upgrade in salary for that position. As the DB coach at LSU, Raymond makes roughly $327K. As DC at Wyo, Stanard makes about $212K. So in order to get Raymond, you would probably have to offer at LEAST $350K, probably more like $400K+.
And let's be real. What DC could have done any better considering what he had to work with? I'm not saying Stanard is all that and a bag of chips....but for the most part, the cupboard was running out of food. One defensive back with game experience and two true freshman starters. One linebacker with game experience. No depth at DE.....but I"m sure he could have added 25 pounds to Granderson and Prosser.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:

And let's be real. What DC could have done any better considering what he had to work with? I'm not saying Stanard is all that and a bag of chips....but for the most part, the cupboard was running out of food. One defensive back with game experience and two true freshman starters. One linebacker with game experience. No depth at DE.....but I"m sure he could have added 25 pounds to Granderson and Prosser.
Yeah, he should have added 25-30lbs to them, nevermind them coming right out of high school.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Yeah. Let me see. If you have the chance to land a young hotshot with a great 4-3 pedigree, excellent recruiting ties, and highly respected at the highest level of football, do you take it or not? <edited b/c wording was a little harsh before>

Actually, I know what most at wyo would choose with 150-200 thousand reasons why we couldn't do any better anyway. Par for the course to be sure.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Yeah. Let me see. If you have the chance to land a young hotshot with a great 4-3 pedigree, excellent recruiting ties, and highly respected at the highest level of football, do you take it or not? <edited b/c wording was a little harsh before>

Actually, I know what most at wyo would choose with 150-200 thousand reasons why we couldn't do any better anyway. Par for the course to be sure.
Oh I would love to land a guy like that, but no way we find the extra $400 K it would cost, 200 to make the salary high enough and another 200 for the OC position unless we don't want anyone better than a glorified QB coach.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Yeah. Let me see. If you have the chance to land a young hotshot with a great 4-3 pedigree, excellent recruiting ties, and highly respected at the highest level of football, do you take it or not? <edited b/c wording was a little harsh before>

Oh I would love to land a guy like that, but no way we find the extra $400 K it would cost, 200 to make the salary high enough and another 200 for the OC position unless we don't want anyone better than a glorified QB coach.
This is where my complaints with leadership come in. We need someone with a vision and the intestinal fortitude to withstand criticism associated with being bold. Example, football makes 2 million. We are going to give 1 million of that back to football for salaries. That means we'll have a 3%-5% budget cut for non-revenue sports. This will be a short-term hit as this investment will increase our budget by 2.5 million annually.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LSU gets it right and retains L. Miles. Staff changes likely coming but on the offensive side. Not that there was a chance, but Raymond is likely on LSU staff next year.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

Mark Richt at Georgia fired.
Kyle Flood at Rutgers probably fired.
Mike London at Virgnia fired.
Matt Campbell from Toledo is headed to Iowa State
Justin Fuente at Memphis is headed to Virginia Tech.

Busy 24 hours.
ImageImageImageImage
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Richt finishes the year at 9-3, and Georgia dumps him.....similar to Nebraska last year with Pelini, he was 9-3 as well. And here at Wyoming, we just keep trucking along hoping for a .500 season.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

USC also gets it right, IMO. Sticks with Helton rather than going for "splash hire". He has already done well there and I think he is a solid hire.

Makes me wonder about Chip Kelly? Maybe he survives another year at Philly, but I don't know. His personnel decisions were a disaster. Maybe his GM-like duties will be revoked and allowed to coach another year?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

SC Layed a giant egg. Their AD and his group like hiring all the assistants and having control over the program. So they hire a guy that will likely go 5-4 or 6-3 as an interim coach. This from a program that is a top 5 in all of college football job to have.

When fans from all 11 other teams in your conference are happy about your hire you should know that you didn't do the right thing
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Coeur d' Alene wrote:SC Layed a giant egg. Their AD and his group like hiring all the assistants and having control over the program. So they hire a guy that will likely go 5-4 or 6-3 as an interim coach. This from a program that is a top 5 in all of college football job to have.

When fans from all 11 other teams in your conference are happy about your hire you should know that you didn't do the right thing
Agree to disagree. Helton is 6-2 at the helm, led USC to a bowl win, and salvaged the season from the Sark mess. Pete Carrol had nothing but praise for the hire (granted that I doubt he would criticize it, but he didn't have to say anything either).

I thought SC started playing a lot more physical with Helton in charge. I think they did the exact right thing. My guess is Chip Kelly was a no go and there just weren't any hires out there that they felt like messing with at this point.

The other side of things is that their AD's health may limit is long-term outlook. If he is stepping down soon (within next 2 years), this hire makes even more sense. Let the new AD spend the money for the splash hire if Helton isn't working.

Perfect hire, IMO.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Scott Frost, Oregon OC headed to UCF to be their new head coach.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

Mark Richt and Dan Mullan interviewed at Miami today.
ImageImageImageImage
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

CowboyNV wrote:Scott Frost, Oregon OC headed to UCF to be their new head coach.
This would be a good hire for them in my opinion.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Mark Richt and Dan Mullan interviewed at Miami today.
Richt at Miami would be very interesting. He is already well established in that area, is a good recruiter, and is a good coach.

5 schools contacted him. I've read: Mizzou, Miami, and Maryland. I wonder who the other 2 are?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I heard Bobo interviewed at Mizzou