$5M Cowboy Joe Club match

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyadventurer25
Buckaroo

Potentially could lose the match from the state starting next year.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 6ca6c.html
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

We need to be off the State teat long-term but can only have a chance to do so with State investment in the short-term.

This will be devastating if it goes away. This is the issue that has caused coaches to fail and Bohl will too if he has a bottom MWC budget. That is where reality bitch slaps Cowboy Tough.

Burman fanboys were anointing him savior when the $5 mill was announced during good budget times. Will they criticize him if he loses it in a tough budget. I know I'll damn sure give him kudos if he can sustain it over the next few years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Mead won't let it happen without a pretty stout fight. Over the long term, it would cost UW far more than the $5M per annum. All of the extra donation dollars it motivates disappear too. The match is primer for the pump and Mead knows it.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

If the state is laying people off, or cutting back on services or making people work harder for the same amount of money, through a hiring freeze, then it really has no business shipping more money to the athletic department at UW. Whether we like it or not, that's the reality.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:If the state is laying people off, or cutting back on services or making people work harder for the same amount of money, through a hiring freeze, then it really has no business shipping more money to the athletic department at UW. Whether we like it or not, that's the reality.
Not if that $5M generates more than services or employment. If the net effect of that $5M is $5M more, it's not going to get cut. Basically it saves the state 50% of $10M in costs associated with the Athletics Office.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:If the state is laying people off, or cutting back on services or making people work harder for the same amount of money, through a hiring freeze, then it really has no business shipping more money to the athletic department at UW. Whether we like it or not, that's the reality.
Not if that $5M generates more than services or employment. If the net effect of that $5M is $5M more, it's not going to get cut. Basically it saves the state 50% of $10M in costs associated with the Athletics Office.
^ This. Some people just don't get it. They think, for some reason, it is always academics VS. athletics, and don't understand the relationship of the two.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

As a current student right now, this $5M match from the state has been interesting for me to think about. There will always be the athletics vs academics debate, but which one of the two reaches out to more people? Definitely athletics. Beyond athletic events, what draw does Laramie have in bringing back people to the city? Without the $5M match from the state, you might as well not be a D1 program. And by dropping down, many different areas suffer. While it may not seem needed, I would call the $5M match a thing that is a must by the state. While I may be from out of state, I take great pride in being a Wyoming Cowboy fan and I know many others in the state are the same way. The athletics programs are the easiest way to shine light on the state and they should continue there support for them.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote:As a current student right now, this $5M match from the state has been interesting for me to think about. There will always be the athletics vs academics debate, but which one of the two reaches out to more people? Definitely athletics. Beyond athletic events, what draw does Laramie have in bringing back people to the city? Without the $5M match from the state, you might as well not be a D1 program. And by dropping down, many different areas suffer. While it may not seem needed, I would call the $5M match a thing that is a must by the state. While I may be from out of state, I take great pride in being a Wyoming Cowboy fan and I know many others in the state are the same way. The athletics programs are the easiest way to shine light on the state and they should continue there support for them.
well said
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Unread postby McPeachy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
If the state is laying people off, or cutting back on services or making people work harder for the same amount of money, through a hiring freeze, then it really has no business shipping more money to the athletic department at UW. Whether we like it or not, that's the reality.

^ This. Some people just don't get it. They think, for some reason, it is always academics VS. athletics, and don't understand the relationship of the two.
Some people just don't get it. It's not about "academics v. athletics."

We're talking state-wide....parole officers, game and fish, road crews, money going to cities.

That's what's in play now.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

For every dollar you cut from the match you'll be cutting $1.5-$2 from the arhletic budget. It's that simple. It's a harder hit so I don't see them doing it.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

:roll:

Sounds like somebody has been sucking on the government teet for a living.

I may be in the minority...but I am all for trimming the fat, whether that be game wardens, pinecone sheriffs, road crews, attorneys, politicians, etc. Maybe this is what it is going to take - for our country (state) to take a stand and wipe out the folks that work 4 hours a week, but get paid for 40 - fully benefitted. That includes UW professors, who a portion of, only give a poop about becoming tenured...how about you do your job and teach, keep your office hours, stop passing off classroom time to your GA, and add value to a students education?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Has Burman released any stats on the money invested in athletics and the return to the University, Laramie, and the State?

If not, it is something that needs to be evaluated ASAP. If he can demonstrate that for every dollar into athletics, the University receives 1.5 back (or something), it makes discussions about athletic funding much easier.

It is absolutely Burman's job to determine this and campaign for athletic funds.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

This is where Burman earns (or doesn't earn) his salary he already probably doesn't deserve.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Pull it from the general fund. UW athletics is too important to the university and the state.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
Unread postby McPeachy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:

Some people just don't get it. It's not about "academics v. athletics."

We're talking state-wide....parole officers, game and fish, road crews, money going to cities.

That's what's in play now.
I have several good friends who work in law enforcement in a certain Wyoming county, and to a man, they all agree that between the county and the county seat, they are about 30-35% overstaffed. One of them has accrued nearly 3 months of vacation over five years while two others are sitting on over sixty days. Not one of them works more than forty hours in a given week, in fact most of them say they are scraping to hit thirty-five. That's just five employees in two offices in one county. There is definitely bloat in the public payrolls, as there always is when boom cycles turn to bust. It would be very easy to find about $2.5M through staff adjustments and extended liability buyouts statewide. More than likely, one could find the full $5M with some sharpened pencils and business calculators.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

How's the 300 mill capital building renovation going?
W-Y, Until I Die!
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:How's the 300 mill capital building renovation going?
Crony capitalism is what makes this state great. Gotta keep giving a billion dollars a year to Colorado... I mean "Wyoming" contractors.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I have several good friends who work in law enforcement in a certain Wyoming county, and to a man, they all agree that between the county and the county seat, they are about 30-35% overstaffed. One of them has accrued nearly 3 months of vacation over five years while two others are sitting on over sixty days. Not one of them works more than forty hours in a given week, in fact most of them say they are scraping to hit thirty-five. That's just five employees in two offices in one county. There is definitely bloat in the public payrolls, as there always is when boom cycles turn to bust. It would be very easy to find about $2.5M through staff adjustments and extended liability buyouts statewide. More than likely, one could find the full $5M with some sharpened pencils and business calculators.
We all have stories. Here in Albany County the sheriff's office isn't overstaffed, just the opposite, and they sure aren't overpaid (not mention that's a county issue, not a state issue).

But, the point is that when they're looking to cut $150 - 200mm (or whatever it is) from the state budget, this sure isn't A. just a UW issue, and B. going to be an easy sell.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

SnowyRange wrote:
We all have stories. Here in Albany County the sheriff's office isn't overstaffed, just the opposite, and they sure aren't overpaid (not mention that's a county issue, not a state issue).

But, the point is that when they're looking to cut $150 - 200mm (or whatever it is) from the state budget, this sure isn't A. just a UW issue, and B. going to be an easy sell.
I believe this is what the "Rainey Day Fund Account" is there for. I don't think they should use it all - and they won't because the balance is in the billions - but this state has ratholed money (hidden) in more accounts than they will ever admit to.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:

To say ACSO is mismanaged would be an understatement. They hired a guy no serious law enforcement agency in the U.S. would touch. Derrick Colling's got no business having the authority to arrest or shoot to kill.

O'Malley's way past optimal. He still clings to what everyone knows is a false narrative about Laramie's most infamous crime.