New walk-on commit from Nebraska...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Shane Henderson....6' 295lbs. Looks like a good looking walk-on.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2101985/shane-henderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(this was posted in another thread....but thought he is good enough to get his own thread ;) )
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

He's got size.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Hopefully he has long arms
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Apparently he is the #1 ranked heavyweight wrestler in the state as well. We've had success with Dlinemen who were also wrestlers....Boyle, Unrein, etc.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

JimmyDimes wrote:Apparently he is the #1 ranked heavyweight wrestler in the state as well. We've had success with Dlinemen who were also wrestlers....Boyle, Unrein, etc.
Hoffschneider. He was built kind of like this:

Actual picture:

5'8, 260.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:Apparently he is the #1 ranked heavyweight wrestler in the state as well. We've had success with Dlinemen who were also wrestlers....Boyle, Unrein, etc.
Hoffschneider. He was built kind of like this:

Actual picture:
Dusty was a good player...but shorter and smaller than Shane. But another example of a good Dlineman who was also a good wrestler.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I think wrestling really trains them how to use their body in the most effective way to gain leverage on the guy across from them.

Wrestlers make good linemen and bball players make good TEs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Wrestling skills for a guy that's 6' and 290+ are a huge advantage on the d line. If he's a top ranked wrestler at that weight you know he's consistently going against guys with 3-6" in height on him, and if he's winning he probably has great balance and quick feet.
52mo
Buckaroo

Heard there is another walk-on commit from Nebraska. Kendall Dickson is a lb that played 8-man football for Bruning-Davenport-Shickley (BDS). Any info?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

52mo wrote:Heard there is another walk-on commit from Nebraska. Kendall Dickson is a lb that played 8-man football for Bruning-Davenport-Shickley (BDS). Any info?
He's big: 6'4'' and 228 lb. Maybe a DE in the making
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Do many 8man players ever receive scholarships? Seems like you could find some decent players in small places. I'd think most would have to try walking on
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

laxwyo wrote:Do many 8man players ever receive scholarships? Seems like you could find some decent players in small places. I'd think most would have to try walking on
There are a few, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as 11-man. Rashaan Salaam (Heisman Trophy winner) and Chad Greenway (2-time Pro Bowler) are 2 examples of 8-man players that turned out to be pretty good.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Do many 8man players ever receive scholarships? Seems like you could find some decent players in small places. I'd think most would have to try walking on
There are a few, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as 11-man. Rashaan Salaam (Heisman Trophy winner) and Chad Greenway (2-time Pro Bowler) are 2 examples of 8-man players that turned out to be pretty good.
Didn't Jay Novacek come from an 8-man team?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Not sure if he was when he played, but Gothenburg high is not 8-man today.
52mo
Buckaroo

When I first posted I was hoping to get some comments on what people were hearing and knew about Kendall Dickson. I will now tell you what you are getting. Not only is he big but he is very aggressive and plays "through the whistle". He loves to hit and is an excellent addition to the Wyoming program.
Also, Jay Novacek played 11-man in high school at Gothenburg. Interesting note is that Jay's brother Bump actually coached Dickson at (Fairfield) Sandy Creek High School in Nebraska before Dickson decided to transfer back to his home district and play for BDS. Sandy Creek played 11-man football.
By now you have probably figured out that I'm from Nebraska. I can give you a small list of 8-man players who have played Division 1 football. NU-Dean Steinkuhler, Terry Connealy, Mackovicka brothers and Shanle brothers. Current Iowa players Nate Bazata and Drew Ott. (I would compare Dickson to Ott in how they are built physically.)
A few closing questions. Does Wyoming have 8-man football? What do smaller schools play if they have limited numbers? How many classes of high school football are there in Wyoming?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Sounds just like the kind of guy we need and if he plays like you say, a scholarship would be in his future. Honestly, we usually don't get as much info on walk on recruits as we do scholly
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

52mo wrote: A few closing questions. Does Wyoming have 8-man football? What do smaller schools play if they have limited numbers? How many classes of high school football are there in Wyoming?
Wyoming's lowest division actually plays 6-man football.

Overall Wyo has 5 divisions, 4A (enrollment from 918 to 2439), 3A, 2A, 1A (enrollment ~150 and down), and 1A - 6-man.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Welcome 52MO.
52mo
Buckaroo

Thanks for letting me in. I know a person can't project potential but I think the Dickson kid has a pretty good ceiling. He is a pretty good physical specimen as a senior and can only imagine how much bigger he will get once a college strength and conditioning coach gets a hold of him. Rumor has it that Nebraska came in day or after he picked Wyoming and wanted him to walk-on. That shows how inept the current NU coaching staff is if true.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

It's great to get a non schoulership player that looks like that and good speed for his size , now we will wait for the rest of the story on why he only had 1 other offer , usually big players have several offers and I do not consider a walk on a offer. Tbh