New strength coach is on board

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Pokeureyeout
Buckaroo

Talked with Jerry Schmidt, Director of Sports Enhancement at Oklahoma. He had this to say: "Russell is one of the best in the business. The team will definitely see big improvements in Performance working with Russ and his staff."
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

That's good to hear. This will not only help the team at one position, but it will help every player on the team. This may be the best recruit/player on the team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Did you expect anything besides a good recommendation? I doubt he would say "Russell sucks, you guys are hosed." It seems that nowadays, there are plenty of guys that know how to get athletes bigger, faster, and stronger, but the truly great ones are the ones that are great at developing a relationship with the athletes and being able to tap into their true potential. This is why the guy at Alabama makes so stupid money; he knows his stuff, but they say he develops a GREAT relationship with every athlete he works with.
SlowPoke
Buckaroo

Is Dennison the strength coach of the football program or for all Cowboy athletic program (basketball, wrestling, soccer, Title IX programs?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:Did you expect anything besides a good recommendation? I doubt he would say "Russell sucks, you guys are hosed." It seems that nowadays, there are plenty of guys that know how to get athletes bigger, faster, and stronger, but the truly great ones are the ones that are great at developing a relationship with the athletes and being able to tap into their true potential. This is why the guy at Alabama makes so stupid money; he knows his stuff, but they say he develops a GREAT relationship with every athlete he works with.
I don't care if our guy isn't the best in the country, if he's good at his job, we will know it.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

SlowPoke wrote:Is Dennison the strength coach of the football program or for all Cowboy athletic program (basketball, wrestling, soccer, Title IX programs?
On the staff directory, he's listed under Sports Performance staff and not under football staff. There is also a Director of Sports Performance for the Olympic sports.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time

SlowPoke wrote:Is Dennison the strength coach of the football program or for all Cowboy athletic program (basketball, wrestling, soccer, Title IX programs?
Dennison will oversee all UW strength and condition staff for each sport and he personally will run the strength program for the football team.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

Don't remember where I saw/read it, but heard Wacha is 235. Also heard Wingard is in the 205-210 range.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

onePokeovertheline wrote:Don't remember where I saw/read it, but heard Wacha is 235. Also heard Wingard is in the 205-210 range.
Linebackers actually having linebacker size would be nice.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Nice video, seems like a great coach. Level headed, knowledgable, and young enough to relate and push the team.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I think I like this guy
oumatt
Buckaroo

My son was around Coach Dennison while in the youth program (Union HS) and says he is the real deal. Expect to see a program similar to OU in many facets. Once the training table is complete at the HAPC, the final piece (nutrition) will be in place.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

oumatt wrote:My son was around Coach Dennison while in the youth program (Union HS) and says he is the real deal. Expect to see a program similar to OU in many facets. Once the training table is complete at the HAPC, the final piece (nutrition) will be in place.
oumatt are you in/from Oklahoma? I'm in OKC.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
oumatt
Buckaroo

Yes, I'm in Owasso currently.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

oumatt wrote:Yes, I'm in Owasso currently.
Near the two super powers in high school football....Jenks (Trojans) and Tulsa Union (Redskins). For those who don't know...both schools have won EVERY 6A state title in football since 1996. About half those state title games were played against each other!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
Near the two super powers in high school football....Jenks (Trojans) and Tulsa Union (Redskins). For those who don't know...both schools have won EVERY 6A state title in football since 1996. About half those state title games were played against each other!!!!!!
And if it's anything like the past few years the state game is already sold out!
(My family is in the Tulsa area too)
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyokoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
And if it's anything like the past few years the state game is already sold out!
Figures! I honestly think Wyoming will play in the current "BCS" National Title game before SOMEBODY ELSE in the 6A wins the damned title!!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Figures! I honestly think Wyoming will play in the current "BCS" National Title game before SOMEBODY ELSE in the 6A wins the damned title!!!!
Well didn't they split it to 6A and 6B or some such thing because of that?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyokoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Well didn't they split it to 6A and 6B or some such thing because of that?
Yeah and the official names is 6A Division I and 6A Division II. But those two still keep winning the Division I titles.